Register now to get rid of these ads!

Today is 4/17

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bull, Apr 17, 2008.

1. Bull

Bull

18 years ago today, I was given a new lease on life.

When I was 11 years old I was diagnosed with terminal cancer. I was given less than 5% chance of survival. I endured chemotherapy treatment every other week for 18 months, 30 radiation treatments, 7 surgeries and over 3 months in a hospital bed followed by months in a wheelchair or on crutches. As near to death as I may have been then, I beat the odds and am here today to tell the story. Rarely does a day go by where I am not somehow affected by my battle with cancer.

On April 17, 1990 I had my last chemotherapy treatment and was able to go on living. Since then, every April 17th is like another birthday for me. A day of celebration and reflection. The date has become significant in other ways for me as well.
    417 is the number I ran on my track car.
    [​IMG]

April 17, 2003 is the day I met my beautiful wife.
    [​IMG]

April 17, 2006 is the day I bought my hot rod. The day I picked it up in Kansas and drove it 500 miles home. My favorite picture of my dad and I.
    [​IMG]

April 17, 2007 I had some custom paintwork done on the dash of my hot rod to commemorate the day and honor my mentor who had recently passed away from cancer.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Tonight I plan to take the hot rod out for a drive. Just to think, relax and reflect. And then spend the rest of the night with the people who mean the most to me -- my wife and my family.
    [​IMG]

Thanks for reading. I just couldn't let this day pass without saying something . . .

2. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Happy Real Life....enjoy the ride !!

3. Section 8

Section 8
    from AZ

"Congratulations" is inadequate.
    You probably have a greater appreciation of life than the rest of us.
    Good job beating that shit!

4. cptcorn

cptcorn

Whhhaaaaat!?! I've known you for a few years and never knew this... This -is- an awesome day!

It's all making sense now!

5. Doc.

Doc.
    Member Emeritus

Good for you. Man, I like your style. You're a fighter, plain and simple as that.

Doc.

6. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

The day-to-day things everyone deals with can be very challenging (to put it mildly). It's when someone, such as yourself, has had to endure the insurmountable, that humbles me deeply.

Keep your family and friends close, nothing else really matters.

7. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

I agree with Doc. Thumbs up to you. :D

8. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

makes me ashamed of what I take for granted on a daily basis!

kudos to you!

9. Motoboy

Motoboy

Congrats again my friend. Just for eveyone that hasn't met Bull he's a great guy and loves this hobby. The hobby definitely helped him through the battle he had when he was younger. Also the pictures don't do the dash any justice on his car, real cool artwork by Tingler.

Now when you are driving around tonight make sure to lay the second black mark in front of the house and finish what you started!

Later, John

10. luciomduran

luciomduran

That is the funny thing about this website. Here we all are looking at the things we enjoy and then you hear a story that really puts life into perspective. Cherish this day man, you deserve it.

11. Bull

Bull

Thanks guys. Can't wait to get home to put some miles on the Model A. That and some tacos and frosty adult beverages at the local Mexican joint with my wife and family will make for a perfect night. :)

12. hodaddyo

hodaddyo

good for you brother... enjoy.

13. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Thanks for making me realise how lucky I am. You're a hero, bro.

14. Good on ya, man....it was nice to read something positive this week; too many negatives. Give everyone a hug & hoist a glass of your favorite beverage...and thank your parents, too, for holdin' on during tough times...

15. paco

paco
    from Atlanta

WOW.......talk about reality......God Bless You & Your family. I hope you live to 120!!

Paco

16. Jay71

Jay71

Very inspirational and really hits home for me. Today is my fathers last(hopefully) chemo treatment. In fact he is probably hooked up as I write this. Its his second run which was for 6 months this time. Did the surgery and the radiation too. I pray this is the last of it. Hopefully 4/17 is a lucky date for him too. Hes the one who introduced me to this hobby from an early age, and I owe so much to him. Thanks for the inspiration, and CONGRATS! I think I'll have pops read this thread later if he feels well enough. Thanks again.

17. jj mack

jj mack

Double WOW!!! Great for you!!! And Happy 417

18. ALindustrial

ALindustrial

congrats man... that seems to a very treasured day for you... have a gerat day! or at least whats left of it... let us know how the cruise goes!

19. seldom scene

seldom scene

Thank you for giving me some hope and inspiration today.

20. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Great story, thanks for sharing.

21. Bull

Bull

Jay, I just got choked up reading that. Your dad will be in my prayers. Wish him well . . . and happy 4/17 . . . from one survivor to another . . .

Adam

22. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

NO matter how bad you think things are for you...there is someone else that has it worse...or has gone thru the worst things imaginable...

CONGRATS on 18 tuff years...hope you have many more birthdays...and 4-17 anniversaries...!!!

R-

23. k-member

k-member

Right on man, happy 4/17.

24. The Hop Walla

The Hop Walla
    from Dallas

You rule. Keep on ruling.

Hey, I've got some of that Tingler stuff on my ride.

25. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

great story!!! ive been through 3 with my mom,breast ,colen then skin. now every time shes gets sick im hoping its JUST a cold.. happy rebirthday!!

26. Jay71

Jay71

Thanks for the prayers Adam. Today is a good day.:D

27. eddie1

eddie1

Great story! Good for you & Happy 417!

28. Falcon_Rod

Falcon_Rod

Amazing story, amazing dash...Your a hero! Have a wonderful 4/17!

29. Great story man, congrats...and many more!