Register now to get rid of these ads!

shortening torque tubes?????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by WanderAlone, Apr 16, 2008.

1. WanderAlone

WanderAlone
    from Arizona

ive heard that it is possible to shorten a torque tube, i just dont know how to go about doing it. Has anyone done this before or know anything about it??

2. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

this is gona sound dumb
    but its as easy as making 2 cuts and welding it back together....

if you keep it indexed in your saw the same for both cuts it will match back up

clamping angle iron on the sides helps too

tack on all sides so as to not let the heat pull it around
    good luck
    Zach

3. Sixcarb

Sixcarb
    from North NJ

I cut about 3 to 4 inches from the back end so there is just a few inches left on the back end then put the back end in a lathe and true it up and then get your measurement of how long you need it to be and cut the long section of tube with a large pipe cutter, like Zach said you need to make sure it stays very straight thats the most important part, as far as the inner shaft you could use the stock driveshaft and cut to length and have it resplined or Spadaro makes a nice kit that comes with everything you need to make a new inner driveshaft, I never like to shorten the inner driveshaft by cutting and welding, it has been done many times and a few different ways but the more connections there is the weaker it will be, I have to shorten another one inn a few weeks so If I remember I will keep a camera in tow.

4. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

good advice joe,
    thats actually how ive done them on the last few...in the lathe.. square the back stub then cut the difference from the other part....

on the shaft....if you have a solid 37-48 driveshaft you can bore the splines out of half of the coupler then fishmouth the end and press it onto a cut down shaft and weld around the fishmout and through the old pin holes

5. the tube is easy its the drive shaft that is the pain

6. Rob Paul

Rob Paul

bear metal customs had a tech post on how to do this.

ROB

7. Digger_Dave

Digger_Dave
    Member Emeritus

Keep in mind that some of the later years of torque tubes have a center shaft support bearing.
    Depending on how much your going to shorten it; you MAY or MAY NOT need it.

8. 392_hemi

392_hemi

There is an article in the tech archive showing the cut and weld approach. I prefer to cut and respline, but there aren't a lot of places left that can do it (or at least not for a reasonable price).

9. 4bangerNick

4bangerNick

I just cut one a month ago.. real simple just be confident. Yeah its getting someone to cut and reslining the driveshaft as mentioned. Just remember to measure the torque tube first before cut, than after cut to determine how much has to come off drive shaft. Good Luck!

10. I am doing one right now amatter of fact

Attached Files:

• tube.jpg
      tube.jpg
      File size:
      101.4 KB
      Views:
  11. prepping

Attached Files:

12. WanderAlone

WanderAlone
    from Arizona

great. thanks everyone

13. Not brave enough to try this one yet. But then, the "liquid courage" does not lend itself to proper engineering either...Altered it is!!!:rolleyes:

14. Jimmy

Jimmy

Dick Spadaro sells a do-it-yourself driveshaft kit. It has splines for the universal joint attached to a small diameter tube and an end with a six spline coupler that you weld into the tube once you shorten it to suit your application. I believe you have to remove the bearing inside the torque tube if you use this kit.

15. elcornus

elcornus

Here it is;
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=226359

I did all the machining on it, so if you want, PM me your # and I'll call you to explain in detail. Too much to type, when your as slow at typing as I am

16. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Keep in mind that Dick Spadaro has a really smart product. Cut to fit drive-shaft for early Ford. May or may not be in your budget, but looks like a dead simple product to deal with.

17. elcornus

elcornus

18. sidevalveguru

sidevalveguru

Just a couple of questions:
    1) Does anybody make a replacement bolt flange? Maybe even a smaller hole; looks like i'll be a couple inches into the taper.
    2) If i use a 'modern' U-Joint, should i eliminate the bearing near the speedo?
    3) Have heard that "Lincoln" (Zephyr?) had a needle universal that the circle track guys were subbing for the Ford unit; anybody have any pix of this one?