Register now to get rid of these ads!

Any Pointers for Bearclaw latches 49 Buick

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BJR, Apr 17, 2008.

1. BJR

BJR

I just bought a set of power Bearclaw latches for my 49 Buick Sedanet from Jason here on the Hamb. Has anyone installed them on a late 40's or early 50's GM car like this? Got any pointers or a tech on doing this? Any and all help is appreciated. I did a search and only found a tech for Model A's. Thanks Brian

2. RIBONES

RIBONES
    from DAGO ca

ill second this one. im redoing my doors on my 49 sedanette too. couldnt decide if its too much trouble to install the bear claw latches or not.

3. BJR

BJR

I'm surprised no one else here has installed Bearclaw latches on an early 50's GM car.

4. 53choptop

53choptop

I guess I can give you a tip of what I did.

On my 53 Olds, I went to home depot and bought the thinest braided steel wire rope they have, they sell it in the chain section of the store, and also purchased the steel wire crimps for that sized wire (pics), they sell them there also.

Now, depending on what exactly you need to open the door with, solenoid, door handle, etc, what i did was use brake line to route the wire where ever it needed to go. I strung the rope through the brake line and bent it to route the rope. Since everyone has a different idea of what they want to do and it is difficult to assume there is an exact way of doing things,

Another unexpected thing i had to deal with was the door glass tract, i had to make a few modifications for the latch to fit.

Other than that, personally, i would also get the plate where the latch attaches to, it seems easy enough to make the plate, but it is one less step you have to mess with.

After looking around a bit, this is pretty much the same way I did it:

Bear Claw Latch Tech

God I love the HAMB!!!!

Attached Files:

5. BJR

BJR