Register now to get rid of these ads!

A little 47 Chevy window advice please...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fleetmaster, Apr 10, 2008.

1. fleetmaster

fleetmaster

Ok, I know this is gonna sound like a stupid question, but here it goes....as some of you know I'm building a 47 chevy coupe. It's almost painted and it will soon be final assembly time.....I left the split windshield instead of getting v-butted glass. When I was driviing it in primer I just didn't put the stainless center bar on the window. But now I need to put it back on, but the problem is, I think I'm missing a piece and I can't figure out exactly what. I have the actual stainless piece, and a metal bar that goes on the inside of the windshield. There are holes in the window rubber that line up with the metal interior bar, but no way of connecting the stainless piece. I've talked to a ton of people, and everyone gives me a vague answer about how there should be some type of mounting piece, but even various companies and junkyards don't know exactly what it looks like, how to attach it , or where to get it. So i guess what I'm asking is, does anyone know how I can mount this center bar and what specifically I need to mount it? if Someone has a picture or a link to where i could get one, that would be great. Thanks everyone-fleet

2. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

My '47 Olds has that stainless strip down the center of the windshield. I will take some close up shots for you when I get home and post them.

3. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

I siliconed mine on the Merc.

4. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

There should be a metal piece that the stainless fits around...said metal piece has holes/threads in the location of the holes in the rubber and the "metal interior bar" (your words)...that's what holds it on...most of them rust well...and eventually go away...perhaps that's what happened to yours...

R-

5. fleetmaster

fleetmaster

thanks everyone...at least that gives me some direction to go in. does anyone know where a good place to find one is? is my best bet just to scour the junkyards and swap meets?

6. The medal center bar with the threaded holes was part of the body. It has either been cut out to Vbutt the w/s or has rusted away. The stainless snaped on this peice. I'm going to make one for mine and weld it back in. May have to glue the out side stainless on.

7. fleetmaster

fleetmaster

so the stainless just snapped onto that piece? yeah, the original center bar was toast when i picked up the car. it had rusted away to practically nothing so we made a new one that matched what we could see of the old...but i don't see how that center bar snaps on it with all the window rubber around it..any suggestions?

8. chopper99

chopper99
    Member Emeritus

Cut a piece of metal 16-18 ga. that will slide into the back of the stainless w/s divider, drill and tap it to match the inside w/s divider holes and bolt it on with screws.

9. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

You are referring to the outside, stainless trim piece right? Mine is glued on, was on when I bought the car over 7 years ago. I don't see any other way it could be attached the way it is set up. Works and looks great in my opinion. I don't want to get your hopes up cuz I'm not sure yet if I want to part with it BUT I do have a second one. I'll let you know if I do.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. tomcat46

tomcat46

This is the way mine worked. I bought a replacement on e-bay that must have been for a truck or fleetline, it was about 3" too long. I cut it off at the bottom and the threaded holes lined up perfectly. Be careful that the screws aren't too long, its easy to dent out the stainless. I used some silicone between the stainless piece and the threaded insert strip to help slide it in and stop potential rattling.

11. fleetmaster

fleetmaster

wow...thanks everyone! that actually clears it up a lot...gives me some direction. i had heard that i could possibly make a new piece, but it's nice to know how now. and thanks for the pics denise...i really appreciate it. as for the stainless piece, i do have one that is in good shape. but thanks for the offer. again, the HAMB has pulled through and proven to be a great tool for advice! thanks-fleet