Register now to get rid of these ads!

Aluminum 1940 Willys Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Salt Flats Speed Shop, Mar 27, 2008.

1. skajaquada

skajaquada
    from SLC Utard

to all the guys bothered by what i said, i don't give a shit. i gave him credit for what he did though thanks to some information when talking to a friend about this, i hear this willys was a CLASS project done over the last few years. if my information is wrong, i apologize. if this kid is taking credit for others' work, there is no place for him here. didn't anybody else notice the school lockers in the background? seems an awfully big project for one college student to be allowed to do...

2. cydways

cydways

it says in his profile he is a graduate of Utah valley State College in Street Rod Technology...i don't think he is hiding anything, anyone else feel like slapping skajaquada? or is that just me...lol

3. Whoever is doing it, the kid, the class, whoever-

Holy Shit.

Can I have an aluminum Willys Americar body, pretty please? I'll make payments....

4. Salt Flats Speed Shop

Salt Flats Speed Shop
    from Utah

I did do this project at Utah Valley State College. I had finished my second year there in the Street Rod Technoligy program, and the teacher and I decided that I should audit the next year and do this project. Every panel on this car was built with my own two hands. The instructor was the only person that I went to for assistance in rolling the big sections through the english wheel. Next time please get your information from a reliable source. Thanks.

5. Cshabang

Cshabang

Holy shit kid, you got some unreal skills. Best of luck with the Business. Wish you the best of luck...so, whats this shop truck...that sounds cool as well

6. converseandbowlingshirts

converseandbowlingshirts
    from Eugene, OR

I'll bet that college is going to have to add this program to their adult education program after this post.

7. MIKE-3137

MIKE-3137

I'd sign up tomorrow if I lived near there. He's got major talent, and the instructor must be off the charts. Looks like they have some top notch equipment too, that E wheel looks huge, and a pullmax to boot.

8. loudpedal

loudpedal
    from SLC Utah

Neither is a 84 Olds, but that didn't stop you from mentioning it in your bio...

If all the closet Porche and BMW lovers can go on and on here about those pieces of shit, then Aluminum Street Rods belongs here ten fold.

Speak for yourself only please.

9. Codeman

Codeman
    from SE Mo

Wow a Willys is a beautiful thing but that, that is past beautiful. You my friend have some serious skills. Oh and as for Skajahquada, my God man your talent envy is showing your ass. Building something like that from scratch, how can that not be traditional skill if nothing else. If I was a mod I'd ban you for mouthing like you are. :D

PS Skajahquada I just read your sig. Read and apply to yourself.

10. ASR – Your handle should be Master Coach Builder. You have set the bar high, that’s for sure. Did you track how many hours you have invested in this project? If I tried to tackle something like this, I would have to allocate 2 ½ lifetimes…but then again, I’m a lazy bastard with 2 left thumbs.

11. meteor

meteor

dude, get your facts straight. The class project Willys was featured in Rodder's Journal #35 (college students in Oakdale California). I think Janne posted links to this project on the first or second page. Here's a question for you; "how do you manage to keep your foot in your mouth and your head up your ass at the same time?"

Anyway, wicked talent and an amazing car. Keep up the great work!

12. kustomchop

kustomchop

13. Salt Flats Speed Shop

Salt Flats Speed Shop
    from Utah

I figure I have around 800 hours so far just in shaping the body. I will probable be around 1500 hours in just the body once its all complete and metal finished. Then I still have to build the rest of the car to get it complete and running. :)

14. wicked willys

wicked willys
    from ne ohio

The car is incredible. I wish I had a fraction of your talent.

15. Randy Ferguson

Randy Ferguson

ASR,

Awesome job on your Willys! I build steel replacement panels for '37-'42 Willys and know the amount of work you have put into this project. Your skill level is right up there with the best of them. I look forward to seeing more from you in the future. If you get a chance, come on out to Illinois in October for MetalMeet'08. We'd love to have you join us for a week of sharing information and sharpening skills. www.metalmeet.com

16. BAD ROD

BAD ROD

Incredible work! A question for you.....how did you decide to choose to build a 1940 Willys?

Mike

17. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Wow. You want a job?

18. If ASR can build a 41 Willys body from scratch, traditional or not, he will be on the short list when I build a rod with a traditional Kurtis Craft style nose and hood.

19. eberhama

eberhama

I think the fact his instructor had an original steel one in the shop to use for a pattern made the choice a lot easier. :)

I had Chris make me a piece for my '36 ford coupe, it was a nice piece and his turnaround was fast.

20. Vance

Vance
    from N/A

If this is your idea of 'serious' I'd like to see the result of you just goofing off!

Great work and keep posting.

Vance

21. talent like this is really amazing! sounds like salt lake city needs a "build off?" skajaquada here is a chance to redeem your status as salt lake city's "premier car builder of traditional cars" and a reply of "what have you built" don't fly cause i didn't bash the guys work you did.

22. Salt Flats Speed Shop

Salt Flats Speed Shop
    from Utah

I personaly love the 1940 willys coupe. I have always enjoyed the styling and design. I have always wanted one, but the chances of geting a steel one are slim. It was handy that my teacher had a steel one for me to use for patterns, but I guess if all you had was a fiberglass one to use for patterns that would work as well. With a steel coupe I could see how it was put together, and that helped me to decide how I wanted to put mine together.

Thanks

23. Tulsa oldskool55

Tulsa oldskool55

Hey why dontcha post up some of the stuff you built from scratch? Oh I forgot you haven't so close your pie hole cause your ring piece is talkin.:rolleyes:

24. Tulsa oldskool55

Tulsa oldskool55

Do I smell sour kidney pie? Hey why dontcha post up some of the stuff you built from scratch? Oh I forgot you haven't so close your pie hole cause your ring piece is talkin.:rolleyes:

25. OUCH! thats gonna leave a mark!:rolleyes:

26. wetatt4u

wetatt4u

27. sledish

sledish

I know you still have alot to do on the Willys, but what are you thinking of building next?

28. Sprout

Sprout

Holy shit....Keep up the great work. Don't let any body talk shit even if it ain't "traditional". very kool build.

29. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

I'm speechless and if you know me that doesn't happen very often. Traditional or not (I happen to believe it is) this is very much the place to show this talent. Think of all of the older metal bashers that built the traditional cars we revere. This is just the modern day edition, and he's young enough to really make a mark and take his place among the great ones.
    YOu did notice he didn't clone a Mustang or a Camaro didn't you?

Frank

30. Al Napier

Al Napier
    from Central CT

I had heard about this car but just saw this thread tonight and all I can say is - WOW!!!

Al (wicked impressed) in CT