Register now to get rid of these ads!

Old custom....Tell me everything you know about this one.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wheelsrus, Apr 13, 2008.

1. The original front end seems to have '59 Ford taillight bezels as headlight bezels, and the matching back-up lights as turn signal/park lights. When was this thing built again?

2. 51 Leadsled

51 Leadsled
    from NC

In this case it would be black mail

3. Paint it peach, airbrush a butt-crack down the top, and call it a bare-ass car.

4. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

It looks like a hobo's shoe.

5. I am not positive but it appears to be a very large cheese grader.

6. 'Mo

'Mo

Okay, pundits. Check this link, and tell me again how Barris couldn't have built that car.

[​IMG]

Anybody recognize the "mechanic"?
    (Photo from Rik Hoving's site. Thanks, Rikster!)

7. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

8. I wouldnt shell out BIg bucks for it. But If it was cheap I'd pick it up and rock it like it is. I like the patina. I just wouldnt take myself seriously, I'd drive it around and point it out to people as an example of customs gone kindof wrong.

As as side not I HOPE EVERYONE KNOWS, Barris SELLS his Crest/emblem/badge to this day. Ive seen posts on here of subpar cars with the barris crest on them and people freaking out that Barris would ever build something on that level. If you want a Barris original, Ya can buy the namesake on ebay for about 45 bucks.

9. so lets see its a very early BARRIS (worked on) car and then left alone for years ... so they buy it, change it , modernize it,individualize it...
    provenance is the key issue ...didnt have it,could it be?. had it .. found it (hooray) then lost it..

like takin a bite outa a million dollar JESUS faced grilled cheese sandwich...
    suddenly the early pics may be worth more than the car IMHO

oops sorry they messed up me thinks..
    might a well add 20 inch wheels and a booming rattling thumping stereo

10. jick

jick
    from london

thats just what i was thinking.....

11. Chad s

Chad s

I dont think thats the same car. Look at the windshield, the car in question still has its original 41-48 ford windshield. Look at the hood, the car in question's hood is sectioned a lot more than the one in this old photo.

I highly doubt someone took out the flat winshield Barris did, and replaced it with factory parts.

Not that the hood couldnt have been sectioned more later on, but the car inb the pic has a peaked 41-42 hood, the yellow car in question has a 3 part 46-48 hood.

The yellow car in question still has the fender seams on the front fenders. The barris car has those seams filled.

12. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Goofball, nobody's insinuating it's the same car, it's just an example of a bad Barris custom.

13. BeatUpFleetline

BeatUpFleetline

I loves me a fat fender.... but damn... really?:eek:

14. ZomBrian

ZomBrian
    from in IN

Anyone remember that abortion from "Grease"? Didn't Barris build that? A famous name doesn't mean the car is gold. How about that phonebooth T that Casper did? Or other abominations for that matter. Could be a Barris, couldn't be. Some may like it, some won't. I.......kinda like it. Dif'rent strokes for dif'rent motors!

Brian

15. Driving that car is like taking a fat chick to the prom. No matter how nice you dress it up, it's still fat.

16. sickgirl54

sickgirl54

eww ugly fenders. too bulky but cant say I wouldn't drive it!

17. Asphalt Outlaw Hero

Asphalt Outlaw Hero
    from Dixie

I can remember uglier cars being built back then. Not much uglier mind you...:p
    There was a period when frontends were contending with snow plows.I'm sure the Barris boys would have built anything at anytime for $$$.
    Damn,look at the Munster creations......
    Think if you found that in a barn!

18. repoguy

repoguy

I fucking love you Nadeem.

19. Chad s

Chad s

yea yea yea, I got ya.

20. Squablow

Squablow

The coolness factor that this car had was because it was basically untouched for 50 years. The design of the car was pretty odd but the history was there which is what made it cool.

A tubular front whatever and "updated" (ruined) drivetrain, plus the front end changes pretty much destroy the coolness of the car and now it's pretty much just an ugly custom.

But that green and white thing looks pretty kick-ass!

21. It looks like a heavily reworked 46-48 Lincoln coupe or sedan.The "updates" are misguided. The original front end looks like some of the ideas that Italian studios were exploring in the early '50s however the headlight surrounds resemble 1959 Ford car tail light bezels. If they are then it means the car received an update after the original build.
    I like the original version because it's bulldog ugly. Somewhere someone knows it's full history. There's a good chance that there are photos of it when new.

File this one in the Lost and Found section.

22. knotheads

knotheads

23. redwudz

redwudz

I kind of like the original front end, but then I kind of like '63 dodge pick-ups, so I pobabally have bad taste. Of coarse I wouldn't buy the car or a '63 dodge pick-up.
    Randy

24. striper

striper

I know George has built some doozies but I don't want to believe Sam had such a bad eye

25. If Sam had STAYED IN THE GAME as long as George, I am sure he'd have near as many questionable pieces.

26. Billybobdad

Billybobdad

It is so over the top it's cool. I'd drive just for the shock factor. At least you would not have to worry about seeing 20 others just like when you went to a event with it.

27. kenny g

kenny g

its ThE most beootiFull car i HAVe ever seed.
    And they are going to let me out agin nex weak.

28. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

Looks like it was in the movie " Cars "

29. GEEZZER

GEEZZER

I've never heard of Barris being on crack.

30. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

This shit is funny....Goofball...... Nads your too much. :D LOL :D