Register now to get rid of these ads!

Advice on lowering steering?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gavin, Apr 9, 2008.

1. gavin

gavin
    from Sonoma

I need some advice on what specifically I can do to minimize bump stop while lowering my steering safely. What I have is a 53’ Ford with stock steering. I have stepped the lower A-Arm 1.5 inches. I know I need to heat and bend the pitman and steering arm. I also assume I have to heat and bend the connection point where the tie rod end meets the upright. It looks as if I need to drop everything about 2 inches to clear. I don't understand what causes bump stop enough to know what to avoid doing . I need someone with a better understanding of steering geometry to guide me through. Any pictures or do's or dont's would be much appreciated, thanks!

2. customcory

customcory

If you raised your a-arms up 1.5 in. , you only have to move the steering arm down 1.5 in. If you still have clearence problems you might have to bend up some tie rods too. I don't know 53 Fords that good.:D

3. gavin

gavin
    from Sonoma

Does anyone sell lowered steering arms for 1953 Ford's? I see them for Chevy's but having a hard time finding them for Fords.

4. 19Fordy

19Fordy

I think what you need to know what about is called "bump steer." Type it into your search box and read, read, read. You gotta get your steering geometry correct.