Register now to get rid of these ads!

Raw deal! lets see some metal work!!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JimSibley, Aug 20, 2006.

1. HOTTRODZZ

HOTTRODZZ

I love the way aluminum looks ....!

Attached Files:

2. HOTTRODZZ

HOTTRODZZ

Sorry - I out of order - But thats nothin new....

Attached Files:

3. inkundone

inkundone

not trying to be o/t but heres some of my only project so far besides my car im working on. my bike tank and some of the in process pics.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. JimSibley

JimSibley

wow,
    that bike is amazing. And i dont even like harleys!!!!

5. rodknocker

rodknocker

What did you do to get the gas tank to look worn like that?

6. Here,s an Anglia that I,m working on.
    5 and a 1/2" chop.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. kisam

kisam

8. Flop

Flop

50 poncho chop

wht it looked like before
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. truckedup 28

truckedup 28

my 59 my cousins sedan

Attached Files:

10. inkundone

inkundone

its actually rust. we trailered our bikes down to myrtle beach for bike week and the trip from milwaukee to myrtle beach oxidized the whole bike from the salty sea air. i maintain the look with WD40. its actually getting painted this spring.

11. flatoz

flatoz

This isn't amazing, but I'm going to school to learn one night a week. I'm pretty happy how this came out, hopefully the other side will be better! I made this last night.

[​IMG]

12. JimSibley

JimSibley

Flatoz,
    That is way cool. How do you get the brak on the curved side? I do it with a hammer and buck, but I dont see any hammer marks? Just wondering.
    Jim

13. flatoz

flatoz

geez thanks Jim,

Thats big coming from you!!

I'm always in awe of what you do.

I put the flat sheet through the english wheel to give it some shape and then using templates off my roadster I then marked out the inner start of the swage line with a sharpie and used the bead roller. I did the same with the outside curve too, all in a bead roller.

It has a little too much curve at the moment so will use the stretcher to take that out this week.

Hoping to make the reverse side this week too. Then mark them out for the door jam and finish the following week.

14. Jalopy Jim

Jalopy Jim

here is my first attempt at metal work:
    [​IMG]

The metal work so far:
    motor mounts, air conditioning pump bracket, new floors and toe kick, fill seams on cab ( cowl done after this picture ) cab corners, and door sill pactches. Thanks to the HAMB and Metalmeet message boards I'll get r done.

15. MIKE-3137

MIKE-3137

16. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Model A quarters? I really like how you kept he width of the inner wheelwell on the side. Beats the hell outta the replacement panels I've used. You should make a bunch and make some cash. Matter O'fact, I'll buy a set next time I have a Model A to do.

17. flatoz

flatoz

no its for a 32 5 window. But same principle I guess. I had a replacement panel for one side and the swage was too deep, didnt match so decided to have a go. First time I have made a patch panel with a swage in it. As I said, its not perfect but good enough to use.

18. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Is the swage the section I'm referring to? I'm a painter not a metalman. The ones we used for a Model A left a 1 inch gap between the replacement panel and the inner wheelhouse. Now if your wheelhouses are rotted and the quarters are rotted, what would make anyone think that that 1 inch isn't??!!!!?!?!??!

19. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

Here's our latest project. The top is chopped 4" in the back 4 1/2" in the front. The firewall will be the next area, then the dash. The hole punching has just begun... more progress later. It's not bare metal, but it shouldn't have much paint left on it when the metal work is done. Anybody have a cool looking dash they want to get rid of cheap?

Later,
    Kevin
    Ooltewah Speed Shop

Attached Files:

20. doliak

doliak

Heres one i did at work last year not too wild but should be the wildest one around here

Attached Files:

21. Salt Flats Speed Shop

Salt Flats Speed Shop
    from Utah

I'm also a huge fan of metal work. All of your guys stuff looks great! The most impressive thing for me to see is a nicely metal finished car before paint.

Here is my on going project.

Attached Files:

22. the shadow

the shadow

alum street rod, that post left me speachless:eek: incredible work!!! the attention to detail is awesome. I built a '41 willy's pro street glass car and I know from first hand experiance what it took to get the glass perfect so not to look like a glass car, that alum body is a work of art...I'd love to know the man hours you have into it and a ballpark figure of what you'd get just for the tin work before paint????

super work, the discovery channel should be filming in your shop not wasting film on the tuttles:D

23. Salt Flats Speed Shop

Salt Flats Speed Shop
    from Utah

I figure I have around 800 hours so far, and I hope to be under 1,500 hours when the body is all completly metal finished. Then I still have to build the rest of the car :)

As for a ballpark figure. I charge 65 an hour, so quite a bit. But I am hoping that once the car is completly finished and running that it will be worth more than all the hours I have in it.

24. Cornerfreak

Cornerfreak

Wow! There is a lot of incredible work here. The motorcycle from inkundone. The patch panels turned out great. The aluminum body is awesome. Great job.

25. BlackMagicKustoms

BlackMagicKustoms
    from Denton,TX

A really great site to see more metal work and tools of the trade is www.allshops.org , Metalshapers association.

26. thads31

thads31

This thread is awesome!
    You guys are way out of my league, but here are some rocker panels I made for my 31 Chevy coupe. Formed in the brake then curved with the shrinker.

Attached Files:

27. seadevil

seadevil

Amazing work!
    I have alot of ideas about what I want to do to my 1950 F1. Where do you get the sheet metal and aluminum sheet and what gauge?
    John

28. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

Being I am a fan of bare steel and other metals. I would like to show you guys this. the mask is stainless steel. and the the others are just cold rolled steel.

Attached Files:

29. doliak

doliak

that aluminum willys looks like a lazze car did you take his classes or what?

30. Salt Flats Speed Shop

Salt Flats Speed Shop
    from Utah

I havent taken lazze's class yet. I plan on though.

I graduated from Utah Valley State College in orem utah. They have a street rod program, and the instructor is quite the metal shaper. He suggested that I use his origional willys coupe for patterns and come back a second year to build the aluminum willys.