Register now to get rid of these ads!

'51 Merc update...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pro Stock John, Mar 31, 2008.

1. I've mainly posted questions since joining the board, but I've made some decisions and have been doing a lot of research, and thus have my plan mostly together.

I bought my '51 as a done car from SC. While it's a nice car overall I found some bodywork issues here and there, and of course, the bumpers are horrible. :D

So my plan now is to strip the car to bare metal, and install a '50 front bumper and a '51 rear bumper. I might do 52-53 Buick side trim, but if not, I have a good source for that chrome trim that runs just below the glass down the sides.

I'm planning on black at this point. While on the web black Mercs are all over the place, here in Chicago Mercs are pretty rare in general.

I think I will keep my stock (but modified grill) so long as I can figure out how to strip the paint off the stainless.

I removed the lake pipes and will be removing the dummy spots this week, and I'll take some final BEFORE pics before it gets stripped. If folks are interested I'll post some during shots too.

Big thanks to Bad Bob, Tomcat1, Ether, Unionville Haunt, and all the others for answering all my questions!

[​IMG]
    Current pics are here: http://www.fquick.com/garages/viewgallery.php?albumid=1&carid=14513

2. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

Cool! Glad to help! Make sure to keep snapping shots in between, itll make you realize what you are working for and motivate you. I upload my camera every week or so and see the rusty 51 Merc becoming shiny new metal Merc, otherwise Id go nuts and crush this freaking thing haha.

3. I got to see a bone stock '49 Merc up close last nite, and it made me re-appreciate the work that was done on my car, which is why I bought it in the first place. But I already got to see how the fit and finish of the stock body parts looked too.

4. Ok Paul and I are not going to tackle the 52-53 Buick trim, he's never done something like that and so he'd rather not screw it up.

Oh and I need:
    '51 fuel filler door in case I put the filler back in the quarter panel

'50 front bumper brackets

5. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I may have one I'll check when I get home...........

It sounds like that your on the right track.

One thing that I've learned over the years, don't pay too much attention on what everyone else thinks. During my Merc build, I've had more fun trying to come up with new ideas that have not seen before or not in a while. I hear all the time that you can't do anything new to a Merc. Those guys are not creative. Check out the Jessie James post, Look at the Merc with the split windshield. Kool!! I bought a book at a Starbird show (I think it was from Richards Stuff) that was Amercian car spotters guide and the have every make and model from 1940 to 197??'s Very kool resource to look for new grill ideas, side trim etc.,.

1953 Buick side trim is way too kool and I wish that I owned a set. But I would like to see ya try to come up with a new traditional 50's idea. Grill, tailights, side chrome etc., This will set ya apart form all of the rest of the Kool Mercs. Just a thought.

Keep up the good work!!

Happy Trails,

Mick

6. And thanks to Mick for the magazine and help too (oops forgot you from the original list).

Yeah I hear ya. I want the car to look cool as hell and kinda gangsta, so I'm gonna do wide white radials and tint the windows, probably 20%. The Buford trim would be cool but I'll look into other possibilities. Being the follower that I am I like the '53 Desoto teeth too LOL. I'm resisting my urge to ask questions because of course I have about ten of them.

7. Update #24:

Bought a '50 front, and a 51' rear, thanks Tom and Robert! I also just bought front brackets and those are on the way. Also am going to buy a '51 fuel filler door too to see if that might look good.

I took a few dusty shots today, the final BEFORE shots:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Removed the lake pipes and the dummy spots too.

9. Janne

Janne

It's getting better!

10. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Your car is looking better already. Really, the car is a pretty good canvas..it has a good chop, which is more that some can say...

Bumpers and grille are good places to start....Honestly, lower that sucker about 4 inches all the way around while you are doing the rest of your make-over. You might be supprised what a diffrence it will make.

I'm glad you have the right attitude about your car, it is hard to openly ASK people for criticism. You are deffinately doing teh right thing.

I have a gas door that I cut out of my 51 you can have, but i STRONGLY caution you about installing a big square ass fuel door right in the otherwise smooth line of your 1/4 panel.

Here is an example....Here is mine before I removed the gas door. The big giant square thing dicks up the whole flow of the car.

[​IMG]

Good luck and keep us posted, -Abone.

11. I would have to agree with A-bone about 51 fuel door. The 51 door is not the choice for me since its square. Totally out of place!! I used a round one from a mid 90'S Lincoln town car. Its round, flush, has an electric and cable release, and has a good plastic catch can on the inside with a drain. Check it out in my post. http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=229300&page=2
    By the way, the merc is looking much better and glad we could help. Keep us posted. ETHER

12. Looks much better! You have the right idea,John. It's only gonna get better. Why don't you try some paint remover on the grill? Should work.

13. TheFrenZ

TheFrenZ
    from Germany

14. make the paint job go away.

aint nothing wrong with lakers and spots though.

15. Is Janne the one that can photoshop a car (maybe a fee?) and help me see how it will look? I appreciate the advice on the fuel filler door I will investigate all my options.

Bob I'm not sure what grille I will run, though I will try to strip the one I have. The one I have looks like it might be a stocker that had some sections added, so it's decently done but I might want something that has more of that floating look. I'll take shots during the body work too but the plan is to fix everything 100% since I want to keep this car until I'm too old and dangerous to drive. :)

Thanks guys! Are the recessed antennas I have cool or a later style mod? I want the car to look like it was done prior to 1960.

16. tooslow54

tooslow54

Car's looking good John. I agree about the fuel door though. Not a Merc, but I got rid of my square fuel door on my 54 Chevy cuz it looked out of place on such a rounded off car.

PS: get some wide whites on her.

(NMCA) Aaron

17. Joe Riot

Joe Riot
    from N Y of C

Man, those '51's make me sad. I miss having one. Maybe again someday.

Lots o'luck to all you fellas!

18. Wide whites after paint, I mean like 30 seconds after it's painted. :D

19. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here is a quicky. Lowered it 4 inches or so and add a stock bumper.
    I'll work on the grill when I can find one that I can work with.
    Stance is everything. What you are doing is the same thing
    that I'm going through. Working hard trying to make the Kustom
    lines clean & subtle.

Keep up the good work.

Happy Trails,

Mick

Attached Files:

20. ALindustrial

ALindustrial

thats a hell of a car. i like the ambition. real bitchen! keep it up!!

21. Also, all my neighbors love the flames, what to do.

I could just paint the car red too, I like red.

And gray.

And black.

Not feeling flames going forward though it gets a ton of looks.

22. punkabilly1306

punkabilly1306
    from ohio

yeah new wheels and caps would help in the look too, but im just glad to see your changing it for the better and not keeping the 80's hot rod look lol

24. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

See?? The lowering job makes alot of teh other stuff liveable. If you can get her down a few inches, do the 51 bumper and strip the paint off the grille, you would be shittin in pretty tall cotton.

Keep it up and holler if you need anything, -Abone.

25. It's not the fact that it's flamed but the shape of the flames look bad. Maybe you can tune up the ends of the flames so they have a better shape. As far as your grill goes,somebody used to make center pieces that took the place of the stock centerpiece. That way it looked like it was all one piece.

26. I'm doing a '50 front and a '51 rear already picked them up. The custom tray in front of the rear bumper is getting removed it's not that sharp looking in person.

I just need to figure out the filler door now (find one) and then Project McMerc (current colors) gets that repaint.

Bob maybe I can call you this weekend I just got back from four days in San Diego.

27. I should be around...

28. Hey Ether, that fuel filler door does look really good:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=388985&d=1197857011

Did you go to a yard and cut it out yourself? I see what you guys are saying about round vs. square.

29. Ya, I got it off a late 90's Lincoln town car. Get a little more than an inch from around the door. I like it cuz it is smooth and doesnt have the little lip to open it with your finger.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=388982&d=1197856514
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=388981&d=1197856514
    You have to hit a button as its electric or use the attached cable for the emergency release. Works great. Cars looking better all the time. ETHER