Register now to get rid of these ads!

header paint question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dirty mikey, Apr 8, 2008.

1. dirty mikey

dirty mikey
    from chicago IL

Im getting ready to buy a set of the speedway block hugger headers and wondering what type of paint will hold up ,and is available readily Im thinking rustoleum BBQ black with two coats also whats the proper way to make the paint last thanks.

2. No paint will hold up!

3. blktie

blktie

I used POR-15 silver on a set of Tri-Y's I had on a mustang. The paint lasted 4 years without a touchup. I painted the headers on the car using a foam brush and they actually turned out pretty good. Not ceramic coated, but it certainly made the motor look a lot better.

4. gnarlytyler

gnarlytyler

My cousin had his jetcoated i think it was called years ago and they still look good.. dark gray.. its kinda pricey i heard..
    -Anthony

5. dirty mikey

dirty mikey
    from chicago IL

anything store bought? I tried in the past with the high heat silver but it came off as quick as I put it on.

6. jbradleyd

jbradleyd

Check a good (trained employees) paint store they might have a VERY high temp paint.dk but your not gonna get anything out of a rattle can that will last.

7. time_xx

time_xx

I have powdercoated headers with high temp powder, they have held up very well. I use Eastwood Hightemp Powder...

Attached Files:

8. Fairlane Dave

Fairlane Dave

Same here. I used the darker Eastwood "factory gray" and it seems to be holding up fine.

9. It's way more important the preparation. I sandblast headers thoroughly, and paint them with VHT header paint inside and out with several light coats. Carefully install without getting oily fingerprints on them. Fire the motor and run at a slight fast idle just until you see the paint begin to smoke (this happens SOON, so pay attention), shut the motor, and let the header cool to the "touch". Repeat about 4-5 times and the longevity will amaze you

10. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Its definetly in the prep work..and this subject was beat to death too..theres a few posts on it..check em out.

Heat cure VHT coatings in small coats with heat in between coats and also coat the inside.

VHT i believe is 1200 or 1500° F paint./ coating
    Works great ..so far so good.

11. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Groucho is correct, sandblasting is about the only way to get them clean enough and it also gives the paint a base to grab on to. I did as he said also, and the VHT paint (light grey) has held up great.

12. coopdevill65

coopdevill65
    from tac ,wa

von rigg is right.. ive used vht1200 and heat the headers with a torch and spray repeat several times. it will stay as long as your motor dosent go lean!

13. beetlejuice55

beetlejuice55

i've used the bbq grill flat black paint and it will hold up.
    i did my manifolds 3 years ago with it, and they are still nice & black.
    the object is to clean them well, spray a coat on then start the engine and get them hot. let the paint bake. shut the engine off, and with them still hot, spray another coat of paint on, and let them bake. this is how i did my manifolds, and they are still holding up great.
    i did this on stock manifolds, and it worked. headers may get hotter than manifolds and it might not work as good.
    the bbq black paint that i used was 1800 deg. paint.

14. Not to argue, but manifolds are a LOT more forgiving than tube headers

15. beetlejuice55

beetlejuice55

that's why i wrote that it worked on my manifolds, and that i was not sure that it would work on headers.
    manifolds are cast iron, v.s. the smooth steel that headers are made out of. plus, i'm sure that headers get alot hotter as well.

16. Hey man in my experience is simply ain't the case !! Here's what you do to paint headers and make it last, all mine have without exception !!

i. Clean headers of all grease,oil and crap.
    ii. Sandblast them and do not hadle with bare hands
    iii. Hang em up
    iv. Get a heat torch/flame on em and get em hot - just so that theyll burn you if you
    touch 'em with the back of your hand
    v. Use VHT HI Heat paint - lay on a lite dust coat, then hit it with the torch all over to
    bake the paint
    vi. Lay on a slightly heavier coat and repeat with the torch - get it hot to kinda burn the
    paint on.
    v. Lay on the l;ast coat and repeat above.
    vi. Allow it to cool down !!

If done correctly the surface finish should have a slighlty rough texture to the touch. Trust me when I tell you that it won't come off. I have had my headers on my blown flathead painted this way for 3 years and 10K miles and looks as good as the day I put em on.

So prep is the KEY...no prep effort = shit job. And cheaper than HPC etc, which I found doesnt last anyway.

Funny that

Rat

17. Kirk Hanning

Kirk Hanning

I just had a set of lake pipes come back from being ceramic coated. Holy cow, they look like chrome. It cost me $175 which seems reasonable for the look and longevity.

18. hodaphile

hodaphile
    Alliance Vendor

I like baking them in the oven. 250 degrees for 3-4 hrs. Wife gave me so much grief over using the kitchen that I installed an oven in the garage. I found it free on the curb from someone that was remodeling! By the way, I use hi temp BBQ paint and it works great.

19. Gorehound

Gorehound
    from Delaware

I used POR 15 factory manifold grey on my shorty
    headers. Brushed on 3 or 4 coats letting it dry between
    each. Seemed to hold up real good and you could touch
    it up with a brush! They were sandblasted first.

20. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

is this paint in a spray can, paint can or???? seems like i seen some at oriellys in spray, but im so fuckin far from header install , i didnt look to close!:eek::)

21. Yes, it's in a spray can. Make sure it's 1200-1500 degree range(hi-temp I think), because there's also some that's 500 degree(hi-heat I think that one's sometimes called). I've had excellent results with what I've outlined above. The only time I've seen trouble is when a friend bought a car from me and left it outside every night in the salt air near the beach. Prior to that, the paint was fine for 2 years. Also, it worked really good on the 32 in my avatar, even getting water on it when driving through puddles

22. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

thanks for the heads up! ill copy and paste all this to word for the future! 2 cans per header ya think?
    '

23. Jcar

Jcar
    from fargo nd

I have also had great success with sand blasting and VHT, the stuff is called "flame proof coating". I use it on dirt track modified headers that really take a beating, and it holds up great. Follow the directions on the can to the letter and it will work.

Jay

24. Good question. Memory tells me the last full length headers took a little more than one can for them both. Maybe a can and a half for both. Spray into the tubes on the cylinder head end also to mimic the path of the hot exhaust gasses. I think that helps. Don't forget, sandblast thouroughly, and handle by the edges or with clean gloves before painting. Then install as carefully, fast idle til just a hint of smoke, STOP, let cool to the touch, and repeat a few times.

25. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

thanks groucho! ill be usin your tech this summer! GOD willing~!

26. Mojo_AL

Mojo_AL

My friend once had problems with the paint on his motorcycle header burning off. He had used spray on header paint a few times. What ended up solving the problem is painting the header with bruch on BBQ paint. This stayed nice a long time. If I remember correctly, that paint also had a higher heat range.

27. mike bourg

mike bourg

get some catipillar black muffler paint, has held up for me for 2 years now and still going.
    Mike B

28. novadude

novadude

Are you guys using VHT primer, or are you spraying the thin color coats direct to clean metal?

29. HH Derrick

HH Derrick

You need to get with Turbo Roadster on the HAMB here. He does powder with some high heat pwder coating and it works great. He has done many sets of headers for cars and bikes for us and we have had no problems with them.

30. Mudslinger

Mudslinger

POR's header paint. Been 3-4 years no touch ups on my flathead.