Register now to get rid of these ads!

manifold for the raised block Desoto Hemi

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 38 mopar_fan, Oct 28, 2007.

1. 38 mopar_fan

38 mopar_fan

Stan,
    You and the wife would be welcome to visit at any time, always got a spare bed.
    After a long thrash all day Saturday we got the manifold fitted. everything is check and double check to ensure the jig will work and that we will get the same constant standard. Had to do some extra bit like making fuel fitting to fit the carter carbs. The guy I got the carbs off had removed the fuel fitting and I couldn’t buy a fitting to fit.
    Decided to take the motor to the Hot Rod blow out in Auckland to display it. Got everything fitted and then took the motor home with the intention of firing it Saturday night. Had to borrow a tow car to take the motor up to Auckland as I don’t have a tow bar fitted to the rod. Finally got home about 11.30pm and it was decided not to try and start it
    Up and moving by 6.00am Sunday and figured it was not a good idea to try starting it in the driveway at that hour of the morning.
    So without knowing if the thing would run we set off foe Auckland.
    Got the trailer setup at the display and decided it was time to give it the first run.
    Fired straight up and ran ok.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYe48kRiXwM
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jfx08PXJmQ
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53IlxUyTDFw
    I have attached links to three video clips for your entertainment.
    Now its running we are going to get some test time on it and tune it.
    Cheers
    Peter

Attached Files:

2. 341fury

341fury
    from michigan

WOW, Totally impressed. I can't wait to get my hands on one!

3. Stan

Stan
    from UK

Nice pic Peter. I can't watch the videos as the work PC blocks youtube!!! And I'm still working on getting broadband into our temp house.

Thanks very much for the invite, but I don't think my wife is ready to give in quite yet, and I'm sure she'd notice if I slipped out on my own for 3 or 4 weeks! It looks like I'll have to pay the postage.

Glad to hear motor fired OK, but then I had every confidence in you.

4. You;re tellin me man....I can't wait either. Looking KILLER there Pete !! Let us know how it pans out....

Rat

5. Stan

Stan
    from UK

Yeeeehaaaa.....went out and bought myself a mobile broardband thingy this afternoon and just stuck £10 of credit on it just so I could see the clips, and I'm pleased to say it was well worth it.

I spent the first few seconds wondering how you hid the headers, until of course a closer inspection revealed the reason for the killer sound.........top man Peter!!!

6. 38 mopar_fan

38 mopar_fan

:)Singed a few hairs off my arm first fire up with the stock intake on.:eek:
    Header plates are cut and just about to weld them up. I do have a set of stock manifolds I could use but figure a simple set of headers will make a difference. That was Monday night’s project but ended up staying in the office catching up on work (the one that pays the bills) The last video clip was taken at home in the shed as I drained the carbs. It was dark outside and was nice to see uniform flame from each port. Should have made some short zoomie headers but not enough hours in the day.

7. Get some manifolds on that thing!

8. Stan

Stan
    from UK

You must have understanding neighbours Peter, I'd get lynched round here firing up a motor without headers. Damned non-hot rodders, they just don't understand!!!

Do you have any pics using the 3 twos set up for me to drool over?

9. cuhemida

cuhemida

please let me know when you have something for sale im looking for my 341 desoto [email protected] Tom

10. 38 mopar_fan

38 mopar_fan

Couldn’t hear them complaining with it running!! No major problems I just don’t make a habit out of it. Don’t know how close your neighbours are but we have a ¼ acre section so as long as I keep the noise down at night things are ok

Will get a photo of the three twos this weekend for you

Cheers

Peter

11. Stan

Stan
    from UK

We're all a bit more crammed in over here in blighty Peter, I'm afraid on a quiet day we can hear our neighbours breathing! Although hopefully our next move which should be later this year will get us a place with plenty of "Hot Rod" space, both inside and outside.

Looking forward to the pics.

12. EARLYHEMIBILL

EARLYHEMIBILL
    from ?

Watched the engine on youtube. Sounds like it might be stock cam and compression? Am anxious for dyno results and hope it is with stock engine parts. The stock 341 W 4-bbl was 295 HP. The dual quad engine was 320. Wonder how much increase with this intake and 2- 4s. My opinion is that the stock intakes were the biggest detriment to these motors. [​IMG][/IMG]

13. 38 mopar_fan

38 mopar_fan

Yeah Bill Stock cam and compression. Decided it was best to go stock everything and then see what I can get with cam and compression. DYNO time is still programmed to happen. Getting lots of pressure to get these out and going. The only deviation from stock is a set of headers that should aid in breathing but I do have some stock manifolds that I’m thinking of also running

Once again I find myself embarrassed about the time it is taking to get this manifold finished but it will be done.

Cheers

Peter

14. Stan

Stan
    from UK

"Once again I find myself embarrassed about the time it is taking to get this manifold finished but it will be done"

You can't rush quality Peter : )

15. 38 mopar_fan

38 mopar_fan

No you can’t rush quality, but it would be nice to get this finished so I can get onto building the coupe. This has been an amazing project and I have learnt so much that I’m itching to get onto the next few ideas spinning around in my head.
    Got so many good people helping with this project, putting extra time in to ensure it works. Each one has to work it into their schedule but without their input this would not have been possible
    The proof will be in the dyno time and that cannot happen soon enough for me.
    Got the first five coming through the foundry now so should be able to get them machined as soon as the dyno time is done. Jumped the gun but think it will dyno up ok otherwise it would be another delay waiting for the foundry.
    If it it doesn’t dyno up correctly I’ll be over there looking fro a bed Stan, the wife will kill me If I hang around here :)

Cheers

Peter

16. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Good to hear you are nearing the final stages. I hope all the interest translates into sales.

In your last post, you sound like me....... the next ideas are already being dreamed up. :D

I have probably missed it, but how many different top plates are you thinking of producing?

Tom

17. Stan

Stan
    from UK

I'm sure things will be just fine Peter, but if you need to come half way around the world to lie low for a little while, you'd be welcome to hide out ;)

18. 38 mopar_fan

38 mopar_fan

Tom,
    Got Three top plates available at the moment.
    One with two x four to fit Carter carbs
    One with a single four
    One with three two’s
    Will be doing a blower plate as soon as we get these moving. Thankds for the positive comments
    Cheers
    Peter

Attached Files:

19. 38 mopar_fan

38 mopar_fan

Cheers for that Stan
    Stuck a photo of the three two’s on the previous post.
    Finishing the headers for the motor tonight and that should be it ready to run on the dyno.

Murphy’s law
    Don’t tack pipes together with a mig welder without a helmet like they do on TV. when your eyes are shut you can’t see those tiny splatter balls jumping into your nostril and burning like shit

20. Stan

Stan
    from UK

Many years ago I learned that not only was it a little foolish to weld with out a mask, but it was down right idiocy to mig weld while only wearing a pair of shorts, especially if they're the type with a sewn in shreddies which are designed brilliantly for catching molten metal and holding it against a gentlemans most delicate of parts. Lesson Learned.

21. rusty55desoto

rusty55desoto
    from west oz

If it can be machined down to fit a low deck 291 then Im on it like a rash, just tore my 291 down while Im waitin for a mate to panel/paint my 55 hardtop

22. 38 mopar_fan

38 mopar_fan

Hi guys, I’m back on the ball after taking some time to sort a few family things. Sorry about lack of info but family comes first.
    Cheers
    Peter

23. rusty55desoto

rusty55desoto
    from west oz

no need to be sorry, like you said, priorities, what are the possabilities of having one for the low deck, saw iron one on ebay last week $500!!!! I would not sneeze ot $650 for youres considering the options it gives,
    cheers Russ...

24. Stan

Stan
    from UK

Hope all is well Peter.

Stan

25. 38 mopar_fan

38 mopar_fan

Cheers Russ, yeah the driver to get something built was to get some options in manifold configuration. Will definitely be looking at the low deck options, hopefully this will not take as long as the first one. One of the guys on HAMB offered me a low deck manifold to take some measurements from.
    Peter:)

26. 38 mopar_fan

38 mopar_fan

All good now thanks Stan (sent you a PM) looking forward to some calm sailing now
    Cheers

Peter :)

27. 33mopower

33mopower

Well you sold me. I was planning on building a aluminum sheet metal manifold because I didn't like the other options . Eelco just released a cast log type set up for 6x2 but the idea of setting up and tuning that many 97's just doesn't appeal to me. Unless you run the 97's or 94's with the injector hidden inside but for the price or a little more I would run the Hilborn efi setup. I could care less about performance numbers as anything is better than that "boat anchor" manifold I have now. Anyway the motor is a 330 DeSoto and it will be going in my 33 DeSoto 3 window coupe. Oh and as a side note make sure your buddy buys a crank that has been magnafluxed as those cranks crack easily. Cheers mate.

Russ
    Creative customs

28. 38 mopar_fan

38 mopar_fan

Thanks Russ, Moose just got another crank sorted and it is being crack tested.
    I know what you are saying about multi carb tuning, a mate has a 354 with a cross ram with 6x2s and he his having lots of fun trying to get it tuned.
    Would love to see some photos of your coupe.
    Getting the first batch sorted now so shouldn’t be long before I can get them machined.
    After running the manifold I’m not so worried about the performance figures but it is booked on the dyno on Tuesday 3 June with half the Wednesday available if I don’t get it all done on the Tuesday.
    Cheers
    Peter

29. 33mopower

33mopower

As you asked here are a couple pics. I bought it as a body that some one was trying to build a highboy out of it. I am glad I "saved" it from its potential doom but I won't get much love around here as I am not building a traditional its going to be a resto rod. The guys around hear would probably like it better the way the previous owner was going to build it. I am currently machining some pullmax dies so I can get the rockers fabbed. And a couple pics of my sedan.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

30. 38 mopar_fan

38 mopar_fan

Hi love the 33 coupe, don’t worry about building it with fenders its personal choice and if we all had 33 Desoto coups built in highboy style then they would be belly button cars ( everyone has got one) I like them with fenders.
    Would love a 33 Plymouth coupe but happy with my four door sedan. As soon as I have these manifold under control I’m going to jump into work on my 38 dodge coupe. Just have to sort out a neww trunk lid, think I will go for a rumble seat conversion.
    Would love to keep an eye on your progress Desoto.
    Cheers
    Peter