Register now to get rid of these ads!

Old Car Respect

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 29 bones, Apr 5, 2008.

1. 29 bones

29 bones
    from so cal

Hello Friends..i Am Sure This Subject Has Been Talked About Before,but I Just Want To Say That People Today Have No Respect For Old Cars On The Road. My Old Man And I Were Driving His Model A Back To My Garage Frome The Hardwear Store,when Some Mother Fu#*%ing Asshole, Pulled Out In Front Of Us,and My Pops Locked Em Up Leaving Some Vintage Rubber On The Ground, Sign Language Was Exchanged,and I Was One Hot Sun Of A Bitch And It Took Every Thing In My Power Not To Jump Out Of The Little Roadster And Pop This Asshole Square In The Mouth.i Am Not Sure If It Was In The Air Today, But I Guess Crusing At 40 Mph Was Not Good Enough For Some People Either. Thanks For Listening To My Rant,let Me Know If You Have Had Lack Of Respect On The Road .....later B

2. 23 bucket-t

23 bucket-t

Sorry man that was me, hay got any pictures of your dad's roadster.

3. Every time I go out!

I think they teach it in Driver's Ed now!!!

Add that to the other subjects:
    How to text and drive.
    The application of Makeup enroute.
    Your horn is your best friend.
    Have mommy, daddy or hubby buy you a $50k car so you don't have to care about it.
    How not to use your turn signals.
    Red light means six more cars can go through.
    How to not see motorcyclists.
    Come to a complete slow roll , then speed up at Stop signs.
    And last but not least, when all else fails insurance will pay for it.

4. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

I agree. Scary to see some of the pics on these forums (The sideswiped 32 and the rearended Merc come to mind immediately) regarding more of the same.

5. yorgatron

yorgatron
    Member Emeritus

disc brakes and an air horn,and never EVER drive in the rain,not even a teeny little drizzle...:rolleyes:

6. cretin

cretin

Its not just old cars, people just don't have any respect for anyone else at all anymore. People are way too preocupied with their own usually meaningless bullshit to give a crap about anyone else. I make it a point not to hit anyones door when I'm opening mine even if its the biggest peice of shit I've ever seen, but how many people have you seen hit a door and not think twice? The majority of people aren't into cars and they don't give a fuck how much time and love you have put into yours, cuz it doesn't interest them. You gotta just pay a hell of alot of attention, and park in the back of lots. Unfortunetly the majority is a fuckin idiot and they are reproducing, so this problem isn't going away anytime soon.

7. Couldn't have said it better. Huraay for me, and fuck you! -MIKE

8. rodknocker

rodknocker

Old cars are just the beginning of the loss of respect these days.

9. hmmm
    our daily driver is a bright yellow suburban we are constantly amazed at how often we are.. cut off in traffic , pulled out in front of,backed into in parking lots(2 of 7 while we were in it).. I call our ride the "invisible short bus"seems that a school yellow vehicle would be something to be cautious around it is not .. I am undecided as to the color choices for or older cars .. red has not worked
    our 57 T-bird and 50 chev sedan delivery are still targets too

and the post above mentioned "let the insurance handle it" , should be " let our own insurance handle it" .. most people are driving uninsured or underinsured

i'm old lets get some things changed

limit volume on auto sound systems while in motion

all safety eqiupment ,tires and glass inspected before audio and cell phones are allowed to be used...

have a engine/speed -automatic flasher engaging govenor if cell phone is in use

seat belt non use exterior flashing light

extremly loud non canceling alarm triggering 360 degree video machine for proximity parking errors (kinda like a stop lite camera )

have pay to park facilties being responsible for the bad parking of its users

have blinking light that comes on when the driver has had a drink ... its legal to have it on but if your pulled over and past the limit its instant jail time and car loss.. go ahead take the chance!

have all students in drivers ed start with a manual transmission and marginal brakes ..so they learn start and stop timing..

fast food triggered engine shut off... any imediate proximity of food to driver zone limits cars ability to run... coffee/drinks too

a card reading device that reads driver lic.validation and insurance coverage along with finger print ID matching before starting the car.. if its a older model the other tests must be passed

bring back a form of legal vigilantism for bad driving
    that will be the day..

10. HellRaiser

HellRaiser
    from Podunk, NE

Amen to all of the above. I swear my next traditional is going to be a Barney Fife black and white Galaxie with a working gum ball on top.

HellRaiser

11. Lazer5000

Lazer5000

I get it everyday in my big truck going to the San Fransisco bay area. 49,000 pounds of lumber+ 27,000 pounds of truck and trailer and they still cut right in front of me. I guess they figure rigs can stop as well as sports cars.
    I've been driving big trucks for eight years now and I am still amazed everyday by the stupid shit people do.
    They get so competetive. I don't get it.
    P.S.A. (public service annoucement) Give big trucks plenty of room, for your safety and theirs.

12. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

You think that's scary, try riding a motorcycle in NJ, with all the asshole drivers out there!

13. 29 bones

29 bones
    from so cal

thanks to all responces..well said swithbladesuede

14. strike a poser

strike a poser
    from Salinas,CA

I've always liked Gallagers idea of stupid darts for driver incompetence. You are issued a dart gun with suction cupped darts that you fire at anyones car when they do something stupid to you in traffic. The cops moniter how many darts are one your car and arrest you at a certian number of darts attached to your vehicle.

I would need refills around here though, how can you not see a 4x4 Suburban anyway?

15. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Aww fuck man!!! No coffee!??!!??? C'mon already! Paperdog that's too much!

The reality is that's true, no respect or sense of sharing the road. Truck drivers are getting bad too. Flip the signal and move in, don't look. When the fuck did that start? If I had a dollar for every truck that did that to me when I went to FLA last month I'd have a free fill-up! Start at home and teach fucking manners. This is some of the result of privitized driver's ed. Get em in, get em out, get the dough.

Why can't I keep from hearing John Lennon in my head? "...you say you want a..."

16. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"It Took Every Thing In My Power Not To Jump Out Of The Little Roadster And Pop This Asshole Square In The Mouth."

There's a LOT of a-holes around, but before you start heading towards somebody you don't know to cause them physical harm, just remember, even an a-hole could be carrying a gun.

Maybe you might also want to look into an anger management class or something before you get yourself or somebody else killed.

17. Brian C

Brian C

I agree with you 100%. Whenever we travel with a trailer (32' camping rig) we notice the same thing. I swear people driving don't have a clue as to what it takes to stop that much weight in motion.

I find that when driving with trucks if you give them some respect/room then they'll treat you the same when. Regardless of what you're driving.

**note** The exception to this seem to be the local truckers who are making their delivery schedule. They seem to be a bit more in a hurry

18. 29 bones

29 bones
    from so cal

mr tagman.....that quote was expressing my anger for ashole drivers, and i know any one can carry a gun, you sound like my wife...anger management classes????? i will look in to it....ha....ha...

19. john56h

john56h

Yeah....I've noticed it. A few years ago it seemed like people sharing the road with old cars were like "check it out, cool old car...glad to see it out and about". But recently it's been more like "oh no, an old casr that I don't want to get stuck behind...let me cut him off or pass him on a blind turn"

Sometimes I wish i drove a 1966 Chrysler Imperial (indestructible in Demolition Derbies) and I would just be unwavering on the road. Cut me off with your modern shitbox....and I drive right through you. Tailgate me and I suddenly have to stop for an errant animal in the road.

"Geese officer, I never even had any idea that guy (driving the car that is now balled up to the windshield) was following me so close" or "I guess he cut me off (while the jaws of life remove the mangled door), I'm not sure because I never even saw him until we collided"

Then when they call for two tow trucks, say "no thanks, I can still drive mine"

20. HotRod_Joe

HotRod_Joe

Yeah, there definetly are alot of bad drivers out there. Maybe they should start doing driving tests at every license renewal? Probably be alot less bad drivers on the roads.

21. Muttley

Muttley

The drivers license test is far to easy, make it harder and weed out the retards. Public transportation is there for a reason.

22. Yeah young import hot heads and general idiots suck but when I'm bolting up a steep incline in my 61( gotta get that inertia going) and someone shoots infront of me, I just laugh and know that I probably cant stop that iron beast I'm driving and uh these kids are probably going to die. its pretty funny, they got no idea of how to treat a 300,000 ton car with 40+ year old drum breaks.

23. for the inventors in the crowd-

a cell phone signal-scrambling device inside the car, hooked to the gearshift. Put the car in any gear, cell phone no workee. put it back in neutral or park- no problem, talk all you want.

a flashing strobe in the rear window, hooked to a rear facing speed sensitive/speed adjusted proximity sensor. Car behind gets too close, strobe activates until said moron backs off.

market them to the insurance companies, and to fed up citizens

24. Jalopy Jim

Jalopy Jim

I get idiots all of the time while driving my Surburban, one yellow cobolt took a left turn infornt of me so close to get into Macdonalds I pilled over because I thought I had hit him. With the look of terror on the passenger's face as I ground four Bridgestone touring tire to dust coming to a stop, I didn't need to pull into Macdonalds to kid the kids ass, I'm sure She ( the passenger ) did a better job than I ever could have.
    I really feel for semi drivers and what they have to deal with.

25. Kustomkarma

Kustomkarma

Everyone's preoccupied with a cell phone, food or something. That combined with the fact that modern cars are so (In my opinion too)easy to drive and it all adds up to an equation for disaster. I keep trying to explain to people that there's a difference between drum and disk brakes and that even in a modern car good luck trying to stop a speeding car on short notice - most people can barely drive at all, much less drive defensively. I've decided that when I build my open wheeled car it will have a full roll cage and be painted bright orange - seriously.

26. Silhouettes 57

Silhouettes 57

How about the guys that are jerks when they find out you have an old car? I was at the wedding reception for the son of my high school buddy when I was introduced to one of those three wheel VW powered "BIKER???" guys, after he found out I was an old car guy he said "old cars were a piece of crap when they were new and a bigger piece of crap now!". This guy would run an old car off the road I'm sure of it.

27. ComingApart

ComingApart

What in the hell are you driving that weighs that much?

I'll be the asshole in this discussion.
    If your vehicle can't safely achieve/maintain 5mph greater than the posted speed limit, you have no business putting it on the highway, Period.

Also, truck drivers, you have no business hanging out in the left lane for no clear reason.
    Just as you just need to suck it up that the truck in front of you is going 1 mph slower than you wanna go. When you get in the left lane and it takes you 3 miles to pass the truck you're overtaking, you're backing up traffic flow for miles causing the flow speed to go from 80 to 60, which leads to plenty of near misses and accidents.

Don't even get me started on the rattletrap log and chip trucks around here.

28. Mutt

Mutt

Everybody sucks.

There, that about covers it.

Mutt

29. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I think a lot of the blame can be placed on modern technology. A lot of the newer cars are so, idiot friendly that a lot of people aren't really driving, they're aiming. Sound deadening materials to block out outside noises. Like.... ambulances, fire truck and police sirens. Radios and phones that you can operate from your damn steering wheel. Yea, it's all nice and cool for Buck Rogers, but the average citizen doesn't have the ability to operate more than two things at once, while driving.

Add to that, some assholes are just that... assholes. They see a nice, old car rolling around and want to show how much better they are than you. That's why I like my '96 Buick LeSabre 4dr urban assualt vehicle. It's got a few dents and scraps from the previous owner, but it lets the jackass in the Honda rice pudding mixer know that he will not win in a contest of bump and grind. Plus, I added little kill stickers as a joke on my lower door panel. Gets nice looks from the pinheads.

30. Section 8

Section 8
    from AZ

Mutt for President