Register now to get rid of these ads!

Merc front-end finally supported on it's own

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MercMan1951, Apr 1, 2008.

1. MercMan1951

MercMan1951

Hi guys...

I know it's been a while since I updated my website or posted pictures. People email me once in a while asking if I've done any more to project Lincury, and in all honestly, no. For various reasons.

Tonight, I picked up where Stickylifter and I last left off almost a year ago, and I am proud to say my front sheetmetal is now suspended on the frame without the use of cinder blocks, for the first time since this project began, (a LONG time ago.)

I needed a way to hang the front sheet metal off the chassis. I wanted to use the more modern rubber-mount style setup found on full frame cars from the 60's on up. We came up with a bracket system that uses the stock Merc inner fender wells - although greatly modified, some swap meet rubber body mounts, and a lot of cutting/welding/figgurin'.

Eventually, the stock Merc radiator support will bolt in and span the two inner fenders, (see pics added in the updated post below), and tie it all together- just as it did from the factory. It will bolt in and support the late 60's Mustang radiator I'll be using.

I'll let the pics show you what we did, as I think this might be beneficial to those of you out there trying to figure out how to mount stock sheet metal to frame swaps or frame clips. You have to get creative...

Attached Files:

2. Most be warming up,LOL!!!!

3. MercMan1951

MercMan1951

Kinda...it was 44 today so I fired up the heater in the garage and got at it...:D

4. All I can say is....WEST COAST buddy,HA HA HA!

5. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

hell yeah, looks like you're off and running... looks good...

6. Ho-Lee-Shit.

Congrats dude. I guess you got tired of me riding you, huh? :)

Jay

7. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Ok ya know what, we really need to switch lives for like a week. I need to see if its as good as you say it is. Bastard. :D

9. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

10. You come visit me,then i'll go visit you......If you come in the summer,there's even MORE stuff to do!!!!

11. MercMan1951

MercMan1951

When your half of the state cracks off the continent after a catastopic earthquake and floats off into the ocean, I'll remember the cold Michigan winters and think it's not so bad here. :D

12. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Done deal!! Now back to the previously scheduled broadcast.

13. I live just on the other side of the proposed "crack zone",LOL!!!!!
    Maybe i'll have to get a boat....

14. beatnik

beatnik

Cool to see some progress, It's the best time of year to get some work done, before the weather gets nice out.

Gus

15. MercMan1951

MercMan1951

You understand....:D

16. mikes51

mikes51

It's good to see an update. That is going to be a smooth ridin' mutha.

17. DIRTYT

DIRTYT
    from Warren,MI

I just helped my buddy build a core support for his 50 chevy on a regal chassis. we used 55 chevy motor mounts for rubber bushings. the chevy was a little easier to do then your merc thats for sure. Looks good man bout time you did some work on the bitch

18. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

Kick ass! Gir er dun!

19. Looks like some forward progress. Keep it up Kev

20. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Is that German? :D

21. Good to see you moving ahead! You are on the home stretch now! :)

22. Eagletucky

Eagletucky

Looks good. keep up the progress!!

23. MercMan1951

MercMan1951

Thanks everyone.

I know it might not seem like much to some, but to me this post was a year in the making, and a big relief when I tacked it all up and assembled those inner fenders, and pulled those dang blocks out from under the front fenders. Considering some of the primitive tools/methods I used to get this far...

It's a little step in the big picture of things, but it's been a good kick in the ass for me to not have the front end suspended by the ground finally. I could actually move the car around now, without some makeshift bungee-cord setup!

Next up, finish welding on this front mount project, and maybe relieve the front fenders of their rust and missing parts a bit, then on to those pesky '66 T-Bird wrap-around rear (and front) seats!

When the (former) Green-Mountain rockers show up, I'll see about doing a post on those too. So stay tuned...

24. MercMan1951

MercMan1951

First of all, thanks for the compliments-- to everyone. I really do appreciate them. Helps keep me plugging along, you know?

I have some more update pics for you guys-

Today I bolted in the radiator support Marc and I made a year ago. It ties everything together, and looks fairly stock.

I was also able to modify the lower splash pan to fit, and mock up the bumper and grill. I see I have some MORE fab work to do in terms of making bumper mounts...and I only have room for a 3" thick electric fan, but hey, I'll find a way to make it work...right? :D

I guess I have something worthy to update my website with now, huh? :cool:

Attached Files:

25. Great update! Glad to see it coming together! You've inspired me to get something done on my Merc too, now that the garage has thawed out a bit! Hope to see you guys at Billetproof!

26. MercMan1951

MercMan1951

Double: Get that Merc out of the garage already!!!!!! :eek:

27. DIRTYT

DIRTYT
    from Warren,MI

shit run a flat mechanical fan on that!

28. MercMan1951

MercMan1951

Part numbers please? :D

29. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

I just realized how long it's been since you brought us up to date on this project. I agree it's finally turning toward "get out in the shop" weather. Sooo, keep it up and and keep us posted.
    Any chance this will see some "road time" this summer?

Frank

30. DIRTYT

DIRTYT
    from Warren,MI