Register now to get rid of these ads!

carb question (holley)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bigjohnson, Apr 5, 2008.

1. bigjohnson

bigjohnson

I just baught a holley 650 at the charlotte autofair, put it on, but it looks like the front bowl is leaking. The carb looks good, but it's leaking BAD. Should I just replace the bowl gasket, or just go ahead and buy a rebuild kit? I actually got the car to idle good with minimal tunning before I noticed the leak, so I think the rest is fine, but if one gasket is gone, I don't know how long the others will last.

The carb was only $40. So I don't think I got ripped off, even if it needs a rebuild. I just want to get this thing on the road!

2. Yeah, I would buy a rebuild kit and rebuild her. Once one gasket leaks on a Holley, the rest are sure too. I've usually gotten my kits from Jegs or Summit Racing, but my brother has a double pumper and got a good rebuild kit from the local NAPA store down in Anderson, SC.

3. bigjohnson

bigjohnson

update: It's not the bowl gasket, its the seal around the rod that connects the two bowls, what kind of seal is it? I havent taken it apart yet. Can I just buy one? Thanks!

4. Robert gilbert

Robert gilbert
    from boston

Its the fuel rail that feeds the rear bowl its a 600 or somthing? I think its just a little o ring it may still be good the rail slides in and out or back and forth may just have to be pushed in if i remeber right that is , If not be careful taking apart the gaskets , keep a razor handy so if they get stuck you can slice it a little . you have to get a hole gasket kit unless theres a local place that rebuilds them . They would have extra gaskets laying around maybe .Try taking the leaky side off and checking it out you may be able to fix it

5. HUH?

HUH?

If you are going to mail order try Amazon.com. Look up the part number at Summit or Jegs and search Amazon for it. The Holley 37-119 renew kit for model 1850 carbs is $21.95 at all three places, but it is eligible for free shipping from Amazon (orders of $25 or more). You save Summit's $9.75 handling fee. Guess who Amazon's supplier is... Summit.
    The fuel transfer tube o-rings are 1/4". You have to pull the fuel bowl to replace them. You can bet the gaskets will then leak.

6. Ole don

Ole don

If you take it apart for new gaskets, soak the new ones in WD 40 so they release the next time. Use a dab of vasaline or grease on the O rings on the fuel tube.

7. bigjohnson

bigjohnson

Thanks guys, The rain finnaly broke, and I got a chance to take a look at it. The little o ring was pushed sideways, but it was still good. The bowl gasket was a rubber type one and still looked good, so I just reused it. No more leaks:D

8. HUH?

HUH?

Sweet. Better go buy some lottery tickets. Luck is SMILIN' on you!