Register now to get rid of these ads!

Dust Eaters

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Apr 1, 2008.

1. jms

jms
    from Chicago IL

Wow what a difference between then and modern racing. Now all the cars are in drafting lines going the same speed and strategically planning passing maneuvers. That race was more like a cattle stampede; some cars appeared to be 20-30 MPH faster than the rest of the pack, weaving through the rest of the field.

That sight of a group of men with no fire protection running right up to a burning car and pushing it out of the fire in the midst of an ongoing multi-car crash was the most unnerving to me. By the grace of God there was no fuel spill right then ...

That's a hell of a video!

2. So that's where all the '36 5-windows went. :)

3. Big fire, cars smashed all over and the rest of the pack is still shooting the gap trying to improve their position.

Wow.

4. BOBBY FORD

BOBBY FORD

Absolutely great! Thanks Ryan for posting. I had forgotten those old days. Brought back a lot of memories when I was a kid. Thanks, BOBBY FORD

5. guess they were weekend professionals, but they all went back to their jobs on monday to pay for parts for the next weekend. No Tide and Skittles on the hood back then.
    Drive by there all the time on the way to the mall, think it was all farmland back in the 50's

6. meangreen

meangreen

There's a guy that shows up at some of the local cruise-ins here that has an old survivor from the '50's. It's a '37 Ford coupe with a wicked flathead rumbling through dual 3" straight pipes. The car was originally raced in the New England area, mostly Mass. He spends his summers up there and still races the car in exhibitions at Lebanon Valley Speedway in New York. About a year ago, he put lights and license plates on it so he could drive it to cruise-ins and rod runs. It really draws a lot of attention. He drives it around in full race trim including dirt track tires, open pipes, etc.

I would love to find something like what you have there and bring it back to life...