Register now to get rid of these ads!

Should I paint ? 1948 ford

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Andrew Williams, Apr 3, 2008.

1. Andrew Williams

Andrew Williams

I ask this before but now i have photos. Open to all opinions should it be painted or left alone. I got a sandblaster and plan on stripping it next month. I really like the rusty look this car it has no major rust holes just a few in the trunk and floor also very few dents. it has sat in a shed for 46 years. The rust and maroon paint all blend together. Should i paint it?

Attached Files:

2. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

It does look cool enuf to get the rest of the car sorted out before paint, IE nosebleed stance, tires, shit like that. But ultimately, paint is neat. I had an old pickup like that, primed it cuz I hated the patina look "rat rod" thing, but it looked cooler before after I was done!

3. Get her running, stopping, steering,and comfortable. Worry about looks later. That is a really good starting point!-MIKE:D:cool:

4. BZNSRAT

BZNSRAT

I agree...wait until the rest of the stuff is done...I am doing the same with mine..I have went thru about 10 paint jobs in my head I was sure of...Probably will go thru 10 more...Looking around you will get lots of ideas...good luck

5. rustrustler

rustrustler

My vote is for paint, but if you've never sandblasted before please work with someone who has or you'll have the friendliest Ford in town. (It'll wave to everyone as it goes down the street.) That old metal is thick but it still warps easily. Please don't ask how I know. Mike

6. Andrew Williams

Andrew Williams

Thanks for the advise, The engine was stuck and I got it broke loose. I have to get the wiring short proof. before I put a battery in it. It was running when parked and belonged to a relative of mine. I got the dash tore out and I am fixing it now. I thought about it and The paint would probably be ruined it I do it now. I still have to change all fluids and get it running. the gas tank is half full of sludge. I think it had a full tank when parked. I just thought I should ask about the paint before I ruined it. My dad who is an old guy says leave it alone.

7. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Get it running and driving good, get the stance you want... Then paint it, and make it really damn shiney. Shiney is the shit...

8. I totally agree, especially when it comes to fat fendered Fords.

9. Zumo

Zumo

When you do paint it paint it white with black steelies and wide whites and slam it.

10. KomptonKid

KomptonKid

Paint and rust are at cross-purposes. Rust, in particular, is not a destination, but a journey. You won't like where its going if you "leave it alone." At some point you should get it coated, particularly post mid-30's stuff. There's also the inclination to let other things, cosmetic and mechanical, slide if the car has the grunge, and you end up with a real junker, not just something that looks like one. IMHO.

11. 'Mo

'Mo

When it's time to paint; with a car this straight, I'd go BLACK !

12. Andrew Williams

Andrew Williams

for paint I was thinking either black or white, slammed with with wide whites. I also got some stainless stone guards and I am putting a chrome strip down the middle of the hood. I hope it turns out nice.

13. 2-TONED

2-TONED

give the dash a nice paint job before it goes back in.

14. Django

Django
    from Chicago

You can always get it running and driving first and then tear it down some winter to paint it.

15. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

I agree with the ones who said get the mechanicals fixed then worry about paint.

Drivetrain, electrical, brakes and stuff, cause you will have to go back and modify some things as you sort it out, I did it backwards with paint first and regret it.

16. ....get it in good shape mechanically and slam it and just drive and enjoy it with the patina for awhile; once you change it you can't go back.
    ...as far as the rust gettin away from you; you could drive that car as it looks and it aint never gonna get so rusty that it's gonna fall apart. If you take care of it, it'll go another 60 years.

17. DrJ

DrJ

I didn't buy a running otherwise good condition '40 sedan for $250 back in '69 because the drip rails were rusted out.

The first thing I'd do on that, if it's not still kept indoors, is blast the drip rail area above and below the rail free of all visible rust.
    Then prime with a penetrating primer, seal the seams with an automotive seam sealer made for the purpose, and get some waterproof paint (not just primer) on those near-impossible to repair rails.
    Nice find!
    Repaint it Maroon!
    (I like the way purples clash with tail lights!) :cool:

18. thats what i am doing with my truck

19. rodknocker

rodknocker

The "Patina" fad is fading out like the OCC Choppers,just my opinion.

20. Bondoboy

Bondoboy

pinstripe it and call it good:cool:

21. Mudslinger

Mudslinger

Of course get it running and stopping but put some paint on it or put a copy of OSR on the seat :D haha no really do some patch work and then get her in some paint.

Nice find!

22. Rusty is the new gay.

23. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud