Register now to get rid of these ads!

Are there any real parts stores left?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by independentcustoms, Mar 27, 2008.

1. helmsville

helmsville

Gotelli speed, home of Terrible Ted

2. rustyford40

rustyford40
    from Mass Bay

We have a parts store here that is outstanding, it's called Bagnells .I think they have 12 stores. Thay have real parts people that can read parts books and look up part numbers. No punk kids behind the counters. just real parts guyes all of them. I have never in over 20 years been given the wrong part. Or told thay cant find the part. I have brought in beat up bearing races and they have found the numbers on them that I could not find.

3. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Independent,I knew you would say that eventually! :D I understand how you could feel like you do. This was a good look at a problem we all face and even though I can't do as much as I did at CQ I'll keep this in mind when the computer says "No Parts Found" and the spec section has been removed from the book. I'll stay after it!

talisman all I know about who is buying who is what I hear from the folks I work with. Just because they have a lot of stores doesn't mean they are worth anything. Hell, I don't know.

4. haneghan

haneghan

Hi not all the chain parts stores are the same . i work at an advance and we have eight employee's , 4 ase parts certified , three were techs at a dealership , and one that has been in parts for 25 plus years and acouple of younger one's that dont know much.
    We bend over backwards to help our customers , if the parts is not in the computor i will go to the book or call other sources our store has , i will even call other parts store's to find parts , and cant remembor how many times someone has called at closing and we kept the store open late to help them out , as far as the phone calls go we have three rings to answer with our greeting and certain way to reply if some one fails three suprise corprate phone shops they can be fired , i dont like making someone at the counter wait but i cant afford to lose my job, i have a family to support. just because you had a bad experiance at one does not mean all are bad . // Joe

5. fergenboysinc

fergenboysinc

I like your attitude! Would you like to move to SD???? Keep up the good work ethic!!!

6. haneghan

haneghan

whats the pay ? :):):):) Joe

7. Pine Auto
    Lodi, CA.

A real honest to goodness Parts Store that can get just about anything and everything in the aftermarket. They ship too.

8. See? This is what I'm talking about! Keep up the good work!

9. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

When I got to work today I was told it's a done deal and O'Reilly's now owns CSK. I don't know any thing about O'Reilly's I'm hoping they are more into parts. Oh well, I look good in green. We better find and support those independents. Next rumor here is that the Car Quest may reopen and I got an job offer if they do. :)

10. talisman

talisman
    from Texas

It isn't a bad company, but a bit cheap on the payroll side. Give 'em a chance before you book.

11. JRussell

JRussell

get ready to watch worthless company video's,become a number not a name,and to worry about plan-o-grams done on time(front of store set up companys pay for prime locations!!)....oh yeah and to live green hahahahah make sure to wear that sweet green braclet they give you in you new hire kit!!!!

12. Wildfire

Wildfire

I got the look from the Autozone guys last night. However, they did find the book and we found some shocks that will work. Seems their off a 60's or 70's SAAB. I'll know on Sunday or Monday.

13. FCCOOL

FCCOOL

its exactly the same here, the auto parts stores have all the latest mobile phone accsessories and wheel barrows but try to get mechanical parts or decent bodywork materials and the dont have it, ask for help and they just say they dont know or dont carry that item, you might as well ask the seat covers for help.
    fortunately we have a couple of tiny old shops still around were they have no shelf space out front but evey part you could ask for out the back.

14. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

tailsman,JRussell, So far that doesn't sound like much of a change. Wait a green bracelet? There are limits! :eek: Green boxers maybe! :rolleyes: What the hell, I'll give it a shot.

15. Thumper

Thumper

LMAO.....I fight this shit every day. I work in the "Zone....I'm an old retired mechanic (not technician)....But...I drive the delivery truck. We do still have books.....you just gotta find where they hide 'em ! When I'm not driving..I keep an ear out for the old car guys out front because I know them youngsters are totally lost. By digging through the book one day I was able to find and order a guy a diverter valve assy for a 76 Pontiac that didn't show up in the computer. Most guys that work in the box stores are clueless.

Lawrenceville Auto parts is an old style parts house....ask for Andy.

16. gearsforguts

gearsforguts
    from temple,pa

yeah im still there,if you see my truck or my busted up nova im there

17. Mopar34

Mopar34

There are a few still around in various locales, but they ain't easy to find. First you gotta look in the small towns, stay the hell away from anything that resembles a city or a suburb of a city. Those places are for employing the society's mindless wonders.

A couple of years ago I made the mistake of going to one of the national chains (like Autozone or Advanced Auto) in Baltimore and gave the guy a plug number that I needed. He looked it up and asked if it was for a lawn mower, I told him no it was for 350 SBC. He told me " no way man, they never used a plug like that".

Oh well, next store. Counter girl asks what kind of car is it for, I told her it didn't matter, because I had the plug number and the motor was a early 350. She insisted that I tell her the kind and year of car the plug was for or she wasn't going to look it up. I told her it was for a 1934 Chevy Master Deluxe. Should have seen the look I got.:eek::D She told me she didn't know Chevy had V8's back then.:rolleyes:

Oh well, next store. I finally got my plugs but I had to go to a NAPA store out in the boonies to get someone, who would listen and not talk.:eek:

18. timmy t

timmy t

One of our parts store is owned by a hotrodder so when I need something I always go in the side door strait to him.

19. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

He's the man!:D

20. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

You hambers in Orange CA. still have it best, with Orange Engine and Parts! They know their shit and have two stores (probably have more than I know) to shop at. Miss those shops, they have the machine shop too. Lots of old timers working there.

21. starchief1959

starchief1959

I've got some good stories from auto stores...

1)Went in to pickup some bolts for my engine stand.
    Me: I need 4 - 3 1/2" by 1/2" grade 8 bolts.
    After fumbling in back for 10 minutes
    Clerk: We only have these 3 1/4" and 3 3/4" bolts, they don't make 3 1/2".
    Me: I'll take the 3 3/4"

I wasn't going to even try, he was measuring the total bolt length, not the threads.

2)Oil filter for my '59.
    Me: I need an oil filter for a '59 pontiac with 389ci engine.
    Clerk: We don't have those. It's not in the computer so we don't have those.
    Reaching over the counter grabbing a book
    Me: It's in here.
    Clerk: It can't be, everything in there is in the computer and I don't have training for the manuals.

I left the store.

3)Needed hardlines to run my tranny cooler.
    Me: I need hardlines to run for a tranny cooler (I gave lengths and size)
    Clerk: What car?
    Me: It's a custom application, you don't need the car.
    Clerk: I need the car so I can give you the right lines.
    Me: Can I please just get these lines? (Again specifying lengths and size)
    Clerk: Please sir, I need the make and model.
    I give it to him.
    Clerk: We don't have those.

Again (different store) I left.

There's only 1 store left I can go to now in the area that hasn't completely deemed themselves retarded.

22. Naw, that store is Corp owned. Billy just works there now.

23. Magnus

Magnus
    from Sweden

When we were doing our Rt 66 tour last year, I decided to buy some necesities for the -58 chebby, e.g lead replacement, and spare breaker points. When I asked for those points the clerk called for the manager who didn't know shit. I just left.

24. kopis

kopis

No kidding! This is everywhere, cant even go to your local hardware store to find a basic item. Most of em dont know where half the stuff is "uhh, I think you can find it on aisle 8"? you think??????

25. kopis

kopis

WOW!
    This sounds very familiar. I thought these things only happend to me.:eek:

26. yellow wagon

yellow wagon
    from WI

this happens to me all the time!!! I have a 68 327 in a 64 Biscayne. I thought they used to be able to cross reference an actual part number? You can walk into the store WITH the plug and they won't grab you another 8 of them unless you let them look it up on the computer first! SOOOO ANNOYING!

27. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Get a Studebaker. There are several very good Studebaker parts suppliers and they know their stuff top to bottom and if they don't have it, they will try to find it or refer you to someone who might. Yeah, any idiot can find a Chevy part, but with a Studebaker, you instantly will find many people willing to help and a lot of times just give you parts for free or just for shipping. I don't even waste my time going to any auto parts stores anymore for my Studebakers other than for oil, hoses and stuff like that where I don't need to talk to anybody. Forget what year, you mention Studebaker, and you already are one step out the door. It is not necessarily easier owning Studebakers, but I find the people who are into them very nice and helpful and you have a lot of good old school backup when you run into a problem. Unfortunately, some Studebaker people still aren't too into the internet, but usually prefer to just talk on the phone or in person believe it or not.

28. Vorhese

Vorhese

I'm so lucky I found Commons Auto Parts in South San Francisco, CA and Oles Carburetor Shop in San Bruno, Ca. I go NOwhere else now. These guys know their shit and will do anything they can to help you. I'm still building up my Bay Area shop rolodex.

29. Silhouettes 57

Silhouettes 57

If you walk into a parts store and the guy behind the counter is wearing Levis buy your parts there! If the guy is wearing a uniform just buy your oil.
    Simple!