Register now to get rid of these ads!

Paintin' PinUps

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RoscoeFink, Apr 2, 2008.

1. RoscoeFink

RoscoeFink
    from Idaho

Most of you know I am a pinstriper, but I also draw a lot of traditional style PinUps.
    I was recently asked to paint a pinup on the side of a rusty 1930 5-window coupe. I have never done this before and was hopin' I could get some advice if you have any to give.
    I would like to transfer the outline of the design straight from paper onto the car then just trace and color it, instead of trying to recreate it. So, my question is:
    Any of you cats know how I can transfer a design onto a rusty ol' coupe? I origonally thought of Carbon paper, but I don't think that would work on rust. Any suggestions would be aces.
    Thanks in advance guys.
    RoscoeF.

2. ALindustrial

ALindustrial

hand draw it with a fine point sharpie.. just the main details tho.

3. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

4. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

the pattern paper that people use to transfer sewing patterns
    i think most crafty places should sell it

usually comes in a few colors

5. hepcat

hepcat

use a projector if you want to use an older drawing you can also resize it this way

6. PurHell

PurHell
    from So Cal

Saral Transfer paper ( craft / art supply ) should work well for this type of project. If you lose any detail because of the ruff surface, it could be touched-up by eye with a Stabilo pencil.

7. chaddilac

chaddilac

I've often thought of using an ol argus slide viewer, cause you can upload images to your local photo place and have them printed on slides. Might be a thought?

8. Along with some of the formentioned ideas, I'll also use "Clorerase" blue color pencils rubbed on the back side of a drawing. The old fashion way. These pencils have a great consistancy and are a little waxy like prismacolors which gives them better coverage. From there use your mechanical pencil or a ballpoint to trace it over. I'd think this would work on rust.

9. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Stabilo pencil and a projector........

10. garagerods

garagerods
    from Omaha

1. Draw pic on paper.
    2. Trace with pounce wheel. (get at art store)
    3. Put blue "snap line" construction chalk in old white athletic sock. (Preferably washed)
    4. Tie off sock.
    5. Beat sock on floor until chalk comes through the material.
    6. Tape drawing on car.
    7. Tap sock around pounce marks with tap and wiping motion.
    8. Pull drawing off and file away.
    9. Paint.

10. Repeat process on other side of car (if doing two sides like lower cowl).

.....or at least that's how I do it.

Good luck!!!

11. If you have a slide projector you can do like artists do. Draw the outline on a transparency and take a slide (you know that 35 mm stuff Kodak used to sell) photo of the transparency. You can then project the transparency onto the body. The extra benefit is that you can move everything around and enlarge or decrease the size as well. Once you are happy then just trace the outline. Show us how it came out.

Annoy a Liberal: Work hard and be happy!

12. AD

AD

pounce wheel is the way to go,, but a cheaper projector route would be an overhead projector ,, craigslist has usually got em cheap

13. clemdaddy

clemdaddy

i use a projector when doing logos on tractor trailers. they're available at most art stores. called art-o-graph, cost around 100 bucks but will last forever. they make it easy to size and square the work. i use a contrasting colored pencil, like white on the rusty metal. the down side is that your shop has to be completely dark inside to trace the image.

i'm thinking that your biggest problem will be getting the paint to stick and not fade on rusty metal. maybe a quick spray of matte clear on a scuffed and wiped area would help. but i'd sure test the paint.

good luck and let us know how it works out... and how you solve the problems.

clemdaddy

14. RoscoeFink

RoscoeFink
    from Idaho

Hey, Thanks everybody. I appreciate all the advice and input.

15. well. despite the hate for the mag, I belive ollllSKOOO rodZZ did have a little tech article on it a while back.

16. Freehand

Attached Files:

17. CheaterRome

CheaterRome
    from URANUS

So many ways to do this .... here is one.

Draw up your finalized image .

Scan it on your computer.

Get "Transferite" paper---used for vinyl graphics to transfer onto cars and signs

Cut another piece of heavier paper to 8.5 x 11 or 11x14 whatever size will fit into your printer .

Attach transferite paper to your heavier cut paper.

Print finalized image onto your "transferized" paper.

Peel off.

Place transferized color printed image on car.

Cut your shapes out , saving and using cut pieces as stencil and shapes as whatnot and soforth.

Using whatever paint as needed Lay down a white base. Be it in auto-air colors or one-shot this makes for a nicer and brighter final image.

Add color to taste.

Let your mind be a garden...Love Cheaterome

Here are some ideas

18. metalman

metalman

I've used white transfer paper bought at an Art supply to transfer to a dark surface, shows up well and is paint friendly (standard carbon paper is not).

19. leaded

leaded
    from Norway

Use transferpaper widely used by tattoo shops!
    its like an blue copy of the drawed lines,that can be transfered on the car for main:cool:lines

20. Rich Wright

Rich Wright

Here is a sample of a vintage style pin-up I just finished on a '48 sedan fender.
    I drew my sketch to the correct size using a Vargas pin-up as a guide. Do a google search for "vintage pin-ups" and you'll have more reference material then you can can ever use.. I drew it in reverse and transfered it in pencil to the white circle. Then started throwin' the one-shot at it. the customer wanted it to resemble WWII nose art as it would have been done in the field, so I did not use an airbrush. I shaded it in (for want of a better description) a "comic book" style using solid colors in different shades.

It laid down pretty fast without a lot of trouble. I use this style of brush shading a lot. After you get used to it (which don't take long) it's pretty sweet.... Makes for a more traditional look)

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg179/whitewalltires/noguts-noglory001.jpg

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg179/whitewalltires/noguts-noglory002.jpg

Hope this helps.

Good luck,
    Rich