Register now to get rid of these ads!

DFW Area Machine Shop Suggestions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 67Imp.Wagon, Mar 30, 2008.

1. 29Jay

29Jay
    from Ft Worth

The old school guy helping me with my Poly motor said he has used Richard at Mike Smith in Ft Worth forever and it is the only place he takes his stuff...

Jay

2. Father son team in Arlington. Ed and Eddie. Ed built engine for vance Hunt in the 60"s. Arlington Machine. on Main St. They are top notch. Charles Eller on Divison St in Arlington. As good as the other shop.

3. Frank

Frank

Anyone ever dealt with Direct Rebuilt Motors on Peachtree Rd. In Balch Springs?

I stopped by recently to pick up some heads and he's got some old stuff that's been sitting on the shelf for years I bet you could make a good deal on. A lot of BOP heads I saw. Mix has always gone out of his way to hunt down stuff and prices are reasonable.

4. Phil,
    As you know Wayne Calvert Fucked up my Stude motor.

He bitched about me researching my own bearings so I sent them back and let him source the parts. When he couldn't get the parts I had mine sent back to me.

He left out an oil galley plug inside, If I hadn't tried to prime it I would have been in big trouble.

When I started the motor there was a little tick, after a few miles it grew into a knock.
    Dave Plubell agreed to dig into the motor and see what was going on. He found two connecting rods with loose nuts, one was cross threaded. The main bearings were scratched up really bad, like it was assembled dirty.

Dave also built my long block 383 stroker and I was impressed by his process and attention to detail.

Another option is Arlington Machine, Crash has had them work on his LT1 and they also hooked me up with some valve hats late on a Saturday when I wanted to put some heads back together.

5. 67Imp.Wagon

67Imp.Wagon

I've been to Arlington machine with an old flywheel and I always have heard they do a good job but have never really known anyone personally that has had a motor done there.
    I'm always by there so I may swing by just to talk with them.

I may just go with Dave Pluebell to be on the safe side.

Would'nt mind getting more info about Tinker also.

6. talisman

talisman
    from Texas

Always been a fan of Arlington Machine Shop and it's a heck of a lot closer than Lewisville.

7. 67Imp.Wagon

67Imp.Wagon

I have learned this will make a motor knock and needs replacing.:D

Attached Files:

8. 67Imp.Wagon

67Imp.Wagon

Is this the shop down by Bowen that used to be Charles auto supply and paint supply?

9. I use Kim Barr Racing in Garland. I build my own motors but have my own specs that I wan't him to machine too and it has always checked out and been dead on....

10. BlackMagicKustoms

BlackMagicKustoms
    from Denton,TX

And to clarify, Allen runs the automotive service center. Randy his son works with him at the shop and Wayne is still working. I'm sorry to hear about the dealings with Wayne. More than just unfortunite. Old men are stubborn some times and there have been more than a few helping hands with little experience doing jobs they shouldn't at more than one engine shop. But in their defence I have known more than just " a lot" of good work to come from there. Not the cheapest, but after dealing with them for a long time I' surely satisfied. Sorry about your troubles though.

11. racer32

racer32

+1...Did good on my Pontiac stuff when I was doing the drag thing.

12. bump.....someone might need this info......

13. Long Racing Engines. Add them to the list. LRE, out of Irving. Great shop, long wait. Price for being popular, but not overpriced to be unpopular. Done a lot of Ford stuff for me, but they build everything .... and will soon be assembling a SBC stroker for my daily.

stillrunners likes this.
  14. Have a few already.....building a reliable flathead for trip to the SAC Autorama in 2020 ? Thanks......

kidcampbell71 likes this.