Register now to get rid of these ads!

nos Rutherford banger head

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RussTee, Mar 28, 2008.

1. RussTee

RussTee

Hi guys im new here but would like some info I have recently picked up a nos Rutherford head with a matched pair of winfeild sr carbs and the mag side drive I believe this is similar to the Cragar setup and would like to know if anyone has any experience with one.I would like to know any information on Slim Rutherford and his heads and other speed gear. I hope to fit the head onto my b motor in my 26 tee roadster pickup on a model a chassis I have run this thing daily for the last 40 years and like many of our cars it is an ongoing project.
    I will be visiting Sacramento in May staying in the Fair Oaks area for 2 weeks and would love to know of any banger meets nearby at that time.Old time banger nut from New Zealand

2. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Send a PM to "the37kid" I think he owns or recently owned one.

3. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

4. The37Kid

The37Kid

Russ, Welcome to the HAMB! I had an AMBLER head two years ago, that is what fur biscuit is thinking of I believe. Is your head cast iron or aluminum? If it is aluminum it may be a head the late great Joe Gemza cast using the Rutherford patterns.

5. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

I believe Dick McKee was casting aluminum ones too?

6. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

AMBLER, Rutherford...when I think of Rutherford, I think of cabernet :D

I knew I had heard of Rutherford somewhere.

7. RussTee

RussTee

thanks for the info it is an aluminium head it also has numbers stamped everywhere ie beside inlet ports and corospondingly on the inlet manifold all surfaces had been milled so you may be right i have noticed in photos of joe gemsas work he stamped things like this

8. 4ever4

4ever4
    from Texas

Or it is possibly its one of the heads that Dick McKee has made that he modified the exhaust port so it is fairly recognizable. The expert on the Rutherford head is Kem Robertson in Huntsville, AL. He told me he had several unfinished castings and I recently heard Dan Price finish up a couple for him. Might be one of those too.

9. RussTee

RussTee

Thanks for that i may still have Kems address from some years back it will be worth my while to give him a buzz all this information is good for me overheads are rare in New Zealand there is even talk of a mag artical on it and my bangers thanks guys

10. Kiwi Tinbender

Kiwi Tinbender

Didn`t I see your collection in a fairly recent NZHRM? If you want some more racing type info, my old mate Roy Creel ran a wicked Rutherford setup at Bonneville in both the Coupe and Lakester....let me know and I`ll try and dredge up contact info.....

11. RussTee

RussTee

kiwi tinbender yep bits about my cars in NZHRM. Would love to hear about Roy Creels cars and the head thanks Rusty

12. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

Without a doubt, Kem is the expert. His email address is [email protected].