Register now to get rid of these ads!

Our new nostalgia funny car body

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Nitro Crewchief, Mar 29, 2008.

1. Nitro Crewchief

Nitro Crewchief
    from Illinois

Here are some pictures of our new 74 Duster funny car body as we are mounting it. Looks like the car will be a little slicker them the Nova body, but they both look good. Both bodies are made by Army Armstrong and have amazing detail. Our best pass to date is 6.04 @ 230 mph at Joliet last May. Our first outing this year will be at Match Race Maddness in Joliet on May 17th. Stop by and smell the nitro.
    First shot is of the 68 Nova body.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. fordtek1

fordtek1
    from virginia

badazzzzzzzzzzz

3. NITROFC

NITROFC
    BANNED

Hope to see ya at HRR with our NFC ...

4. Nitro Crewchief

Nitro Crewchief
    from Illinois

Which one, we will be at Bowling Green I believe, but we don't have the budget for California.

5. wvenfield

wvenfield

Automatically brings a smile to your face.

6. HotRodPaint.com

HotRodPaint.com

They are both great! I am a child of the era, and was hanging on the fence at Indy from '62-'74.

I have a friend in Canada that is restoring one of the Wonder Wagen Vega panels. He is moving to the southwest, and I hope he hasn't painted it yet, so I can guilt-trip him into it! He is thinking of changing the paint, but if I have any input, it will be obvious what car it was originally!

The Duster seemed more exotic for that time, since those tended to be big-dollar heavily sponsored cars, and of course had Hemi power.

Cool stuff!

7. Nitro Crewchief

Nitro Crewchief
    from Illinois

We have Hemi power as well, I would love to see the Wonder Wagon again, but I understand they were a handful to drive, that's why Don Shoemaker didn't run the wagon version long. There are accually quite a few nostalgia funny cars being built, so the future looks bright.

8. Any pics of it without the body? I love the Nova look, but the duster is killer too.

9. Cshabang

Cshabang

so bitchin in either form...

10. HotRodPaint.com

HotRodPaint.com

We have a number of them show up from the coast, for our Tucson Nostalgia events.

My buddy is also partners in a Fuel Altered. I didn't get to paint it, but I did design the paint, and they are bringing it here for our summer Altered event. It is pretty shocking! I would show you the drawings, but unfortunately I am sworn to secrecy! For guys like me, its that rare chance you get to be involved in a Fuel Altered! The last one I did was in '78!

Attached Files:

11. Nitro Crewchief

Nitro Crewchief
    from Illinois

I've got some but I will need to dig them out somewhere. the chassis is not old (the old ones need so much updating to run and make safe, new is the only way to go) and was built by Hal Canode, we run a TFX Hemi with Venney heads, 10-71 blower, Crowerglide clutch, with a 2 speed lenco. We run at least 85% nitro, depending on track conditions and who we are running. We also run it as a fuel altered with a 37 Chevy coupe body, here's pictures if that, we won the Fuel Altered nationals in Eddyville Iowa last year with it.

[​IMG]

12. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

Those are super cool!

13. HotRodPaint.com

HotRodPaint.com

I'm glad to see that there are some hardcore racers on here. I thought I was the only member in 40,000, who would know what the hell a gasser is!

14. Nitro Crewchief

Nitro Crewchief
    from Illinois

Nothing wrong with the Nova, we just need a spare body and Army wants to get the Duster body some exposure. Here is our old Vega body and the reason we have the Nova now. The roof blew off on our 6.04 pass when the windshield caved in.

[​IMG]

15. R.C.

R.C.
    from Waco Texas

Thats the way the should look...Like a real car not a pie wedge.
    great lookin Car A+

16. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

That Duster looks right!!!

17. hoarder1212

hoarder1212

I've always been more of a GM guy but that duster body just has better lines. It looks like its going fast sitting still!

18. chopt49

chopt49

I dig the new body - but that Nova is so freakin badass looking....

19. Nitro Crewchief

Nitro Crewchief
    from Illinois

Yep, I agree. The Duster looks chopped too.

20. that duster body looks bad azz,cant wait to see it with some color

21. Any info on the bodies and where you can get them? How much?

22. Nitro Crewchief

Nitro Crewchief
    from Illinois

Army Armstrong makes the bodies, here's the link to his site. He makes a great funny car body with a lot of detail. If you get one tell him John Dunn and Kenny sent you. Army's done a lot for us and he does make a quality body.

http://www.nostalgiafunnycarbodies.com/

23. jbon64

jbon64
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

(spiccoli voice) i know that car dude ......

24. Nitro Crewchief

Nitro Crewchief
    from Illinois

The chassis under the Duster is the same chassis used for the fuel altered and the Duster, we just switch bodies. The Nova will be used as our primary body this season, and the Duster might come out for certain events. We don't get rid of the bodies, as a matter of fact if you look up to some of the earlier posts and see our old Vega with the roof blown off, well that body is at Army's as we speak getting a new roof. The Vega was not an original Army Armstrong body, it was an original 71 funny car body.

25. Nitro Crewchief

Nitro Crewchief
    from Illinois

You should know every nook and cranny. I guess I should have sent you pics of the Duster too.

26. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

Might be a good idea to explain just how long it took you guys to get the Nova body raceable, after the implosion of the Vega!!

100_2048-600x399.jpg

You guys pulled off just short of a miracle to make the Indy race. With just a little more luck, could/should have taken out the "real world livin" heavy hitter from the west coast!

27. Nitro Crewchief

Nitro Crewchief
    from Illinois

I don't think we needed luck to take him out as we had him until the car made a move for the center line and John had to lift. It was still a hell of a race and he knows we exsist now. Good to hear from you Tinman, see you this season.

28. All the bodies look great but I really like the Vega body.

29. Al Napier

Al Napier
    from Central CT

Very nice! That Duster looks mean.

I picked up what will become the body plug (after some modifications) for my NFC yesterday down in PA myself :)

Good luck running this year.

Al in CT