Register now to get rid of these ads!

Beverly shear blade sharpening?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by officerfalfa, Mar 29, 2008.

1. officerfalfa

officerfalfa

I just picked up a used Beverly shear with a stand CHEAP! The blades are pretty dull. I know you can buy new ones, but has anyone hand them sharpened? Anyone know a place that might do it cheaper than buying new ones?

Oh yeah, I got if for $100!!!!!!

[​IMG]

2. llonning

llonning

Check out some of the local sharpening shops. They should be able to do them. I could do it, but I'm on the other coast.

3. Belchfire8

Belchfire8

We have several of those shears at work. the machine shop guys sharpen the blades from time to time. I've never watched them do it, but i believe they use a surface grider on them.

4. McGrath

McGrath

I sharpened the blades on the Beverly shear at work a couple times, using the side of a high quality wheel in our bench grinder. Using the side of the wheel isn't exactly something thats recommended in general use, but it was the only way I could think to cover the whole edge of the blade and keep it flat.

I highly doubt that you could keep it flat and even with any other method in the average home shop. Maybe by carefully honing it on a large stone, but you would need a fairly new one that was still flat. And if your blade is damaged, it would take a long time.

I bumped the switch on the grinder while doing it to keep the speed down. You get it hot, and it will probably ruin it. Pay attention to the original angle on the blade and try to maintain it. If you have a small bench grinder, you may have to take the side cover off it to get enough usable area on the wheel.

As a side note, our Beverly was old enough that the adjustment screws no longer turned. I had to use shims to set the gap properly, but it served well for about a year, before needing sharpening again.

(looking at your pic, it looks like your gap-adjustment screws are going to need some work too.)

5. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Mine don't need sharpening yet but I've given it some thought for when they do. I've been thinking a fixture to hold them and use my surface grinder. Got the idea when I worked at a machine shop and that's how they did power sheetmetal shear blades. When the time comes I'll post MY solution but it's going to be awhile:eek::)

Frank

6. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

Congratulations on the steal! What model is it?

7. Sealed Power

Sealed Power
    from TN

I think I posted this before but here it is again. I don't know what they charge but they offer blade sharpening service.

Beverly Shear Manufacturing Corp.
    3004 W. 111th Street
    Chicago, Ill. 60655
    773-238-0003

8. Fe26

Fe26

Look in your phone directory for Machine Knife Sharpeners, they have all the sharpening gear and the fixtures ,and while we are thinking about how to do the job, they have already done it and have done it correctly. They know the correct grinds for each blade on every machine, and having the correct angles on the knives is important for achieving the best cut and longer blade life.
    We pay just over $100.00 to have two sides of a blade done on our Punch & Shear, the blade is 12" long. If a $100.00 seems a lot just think how much grinding time you'll save.

9. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

I've sharpened mine with a single cut mill file, clamped to a block of wood at 50 degrees (I'd have to check for sure on correct degree)
    and finished off with a fine grit wet stone. Be sure to dress the back
    of the cutting edge, prior to dressing the cutting edge.

Swankey Devils C.C.

"Meanwhile, back aboard The Tainted Pork"