Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Idea- Mystery Run- opinions?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JimA, Mar 27, 2008.

1. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

Growing up going to static car events and after working with Goodguys for a few years I have been chomping at the bit to put on some kind of small event of my own. The idea is to get people out and driving like the awesome events Morty, Pasadena Roadsters and Jim Benitez put on, but to stretch it out a little further with an end destination rather than a loop. I have always wanted the destination to be an escape from Los Angeles to one of the hundreds of sleepy little desert towns wayyyyy off the beaten path that are virtually a step back in time 50-60 years. I have a couple great ones in mind- but my idea is that the end destination be a secret until the group (or groups) gather at one or more starting point, then convoy and roll into town together as a group and take it all in together. Just 100 miles away from L.A. it's like you have stepped into a whole different century.

What's everyone's take on this? I know everyone loved all of our favorite events like Paso when they were small- my idea is that if the end destination is a "MYSTERY" and moves every year it can't get so out of control with cities taking over the event and dudes camping out all the "good spots" and street rodders in million dollar motorhomes camping out down the block with all their trailered rides. The fun is in the trip, and getting there together. There would always be planning so that the end destination is entertaining and plenty of local lodging for the group- even as it grows, but hopefully not to the point it implodes on itself like Paso- and before a lot of people on here are aware of at Temecula when the Early Times club used to make an annual run there. It eventually got out of hand when the city put a fence around it rot THAT weekend and started charging admission. That's when the club left and the event wasn't fun anymore.

2. Sounds fun man.... we are looking for ideas like this back here as well.

3. John Denich

John Denich

4. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

I'm in. I entered my first static show last year since 1967. It sucked. Last time for me.
    I wanna drive somewhere.....

5. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

I've done Americruise a few times, and you are right. After the camaraderie and adventure of the road trip to get there, the car show once you are there is sort of weak tea by comparison. Of course, there are those that would wimper and whine, but who needs them?

6. DRD57

DRD57

Works for me.

7. Church

Church
    from South Bay

yes. There's nothing cooler than seeing a long string of rods and customs out for a cruise.

8. Hans

Hans

That is the coolest thing I have heard in a while.

9. That would be cool, are you looking for a place where people might spend the night, or just drive then turn around and go home?

There are some neat places up the 395 that would make for a nice run from LA. Some have sleep and eats, and some just have minimarts.

10. BadLuck

BadLuck

YES...Lets make this happen.!..love cruisin' through small towns off the beaten path....very, very cool idea....:)

11. lots of neat stuff out on the 40...

i dont know about you guys, but i hop in the barge and go for a drive just to see where i end up, why not make some new friends and have a party along the way.

12. BadLuck

BadLuck

Exactly what I was thinking...theres even a old mining ghost town (Cant remember the name) that would be pretty cool.....There is so many towns out there that have not changed much since the 40's and 50's...Im definitley up for this....

13. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

When & where do we start?

14. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Not sure if it was the Road Kings or LA Roadsters, but 25 years ago there was a Big Bear Reliability run that attracted a lot of magazine types. Year I went, Tom Medley and Tex Smith were there.

15. Excellent idea Mr. Jim.

We went on a 120 mile loop around the desert mountains last Saturday and it was a blast.

Kinda funny in a way, we'd heard it was a rod run with car show, but ended up running our three hot rods - and the only hot rods - on a 200+ Harleys poker run.

Lotta fun and the BBQ was a good one at the last stop.

They did have a car show with some nice cars, but from the looks of the cars it seemed some of them should have been on the road with us.
    Well built and all that, but destined to be Saturday Night Specials.
    To each his own.

If you're a subscriber to Biker mag you may see my wife in there.
    She makes friends easy and they shot a pic of her with 8-9 bikers.

VFW halls and the like make for great interim stops.
    Gives everyone a chance to know one another.

Make a poker run part of the run with a nice prize at the end.
    The club that put on the run had a cash prize of $100.
    Not huge, but not too shabby either.

Roadsters and the open road, Harleys sliding by on a nice spring day, can't ask for much more than that....

16. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

We do that... and it rules...

17. Jim, I would be up for something like that. Keep in mind that your secret is safe with me. Maybe we can tow a barn find. If I can help back here in the midwest let me know.

18. kornbinder

kornbinder
    from Sonora, CA

I think it would be great.

19. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

I think it sounds like an awesome idea. Some friends and I have a dice car game that works on a similar premises, you never know where you may end up!

20. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

So if we put this together to happen in May/early June would everyone be more comfortable with an entry fee that gets you a shirt, dash plaque and an invite (some kind of kool awards at the end in the spirit of the event)- or no entry and have shirts and plaques available at the end of the drive on a first come first serve basis? Can have extra shirts available, but would be a lot better for planning purposes with official entries.

Dick- you want to come out California for this? You just need an excuse, huh? ;)

21. Elrod

Elrod

Sounds like an awesome idea. I'm in THEM! for the hot rods, but also in the Dallas Model A Club for the driving events.

I've always thought it strage that the hot rod shows are always "lets go park somewhere" Frankly kinda boring. For years, the Model A club does touring all around Texas, including mystery destinations. Really cool getting out on the road with friends of like interest. Thing is, I think the Model A restorer people think I'm kinda strange in my original beater Model A cabriolet though! haha!

So.. that's my long winded way of saying, "DO THIS IN A HOT ROD!!!" 100% support!

22. Django

Django
    from Chicago

THe Suedes are doing something similar in July. Not sure if they've done it before.

We always have a blast on our reliability run that we put on at the shop. I am always suprised that the number of people we get though. Seems most people are confused by the concept of actually DRIVING their car.

23. ramrod2624

ramrod2624

I think its a great idea! may be nice to have an option of staying over night as well.
    I would be game for that.

24. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

Every New Years, a group of us drive up the coast to Old Town Ventura. Eat, walk around to check out the sights and shops, then cruise the coast back.

25. KIRK!

KIRK!

We've been planning the same thing up here for about a year and a half. We haven't done it yet, be we get really excited every time we talk about it. One of these days.

26. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

Maybe not this one Kirk, but perhaps in the future we could plan something so we could meet in the middle somewhere? Would really be cool to get the Nor-Cal So-Cal people more involved with each other. Let me know- would be super excited to make that happen.

27. KIRK!

KIRK!

That would be really cool.

28. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

L.A. Roadsters used to meet up with the Bay Area Roadsters in Pismo for decades. I think we could bring together a really fun mix of all ages to locations that would be equally a lot of fun and more interesting than something like the Street Rod Nationals in Bakersfield where guys have parked in the same spot since 1978.

29. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

I'm not a car show guy at all and really only go to 2 or 3 a year. I just can't sit still for more then a few seconds, But a driving event I would hit them all:D. I think that the Best part of owning a Hot Rod is driving them:D!! I wish your event were closer..

30. 53chevy

53chevy

I lost interest with this part. Do I really need another shirt or plaque? Nope. I'd pay for sumthing like this, but instead of novelty crap, HOW about food (BBQ). And maybe a cool sticker. Keep it Simple. Maybe have a raffle at the end for some parts people can actually use.

Ken