Register now to get rid of these ads!

model A rear end set ups show them

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by skenny'schopshop, Mar 26, 2008.

1. just need some ideals for my 29 pick up

2. 63dan63

63dan63

see my '31 coupe in my post titled "i'm guna piss everyone off with this build"

3. Bphotrod

Bphotrod
    from da U.P.

Heres one I'm working on now. Its a 40 ford front spring mounted behind the axle.
    [​IMG]
    This one was for an A pickup I did last year, coil springs and a pretty good kickup.
    [​IMG]

4. Barn Yard Chevy

Barn Yard Chevy

This is my First attempt at a Coil-over / Hair pin set up...
    These pictures don't show the Panhard that I added later which is basically the Speedway Bolt on Kit.

Well See if it works in a few months.

BYC

Attached Files:

5. im thinking 1/4 eliptical spring set up

6. A Chopped Coupe

A Chopped Coupe

Here are a few pictures of my traditional "A" rearend setup.

Also, was at a friends, Dale Caulfield, of Weedetr Streetrods and took these pictures of a semi eliptical setup for the front of nice streetrod project. It is a sweet way to go rather than the usual suicide front......................

IMHO

Attached Files:

7. 40 Ford rear spring.
    2nd leaf removed, a couple of top ones gone, that could change.
    Custom made main leaf.
    The pic of the car has the 1" aluminum spacer block removed.
    Depending on how the rear fender setup works out it may be removed if there's clearance for the tires.

[​IMG]

Gets the car down nice & low and the best part is, a lot of adjustablity vis a vis ride quality and chassis height.
    32 frame very close to stock measurements.

No offense, but I'm all through with coilovers.
    They don't have enough travel to have a good ride.

You'll more than likely want a sway bar, it makes a big difference in handling on the mountain curves....
    [​IMG]

8. Cornerfreak

Cornerfreak

Here is a modern style 4-link.

Attached Files:

9. Nice work.

Minimal trunk room I see, but I bet the car is very low.

Got a side shot?

10. Not pickin' on Cornerfreak here since it's obvious he's going in a different direction than I am.

Anyhoo, heres a pic of the 31 on 32 rails roadsters trunk.

[​IMG]

Lotsa room.

(Disregard the big multi-hole lid bracket . . . that was so I could find the optimum location for the upper part of the gas lift. A small single hole bracket replaces the big one.)

Enough room in fact for a spare tire & tool box and a few extra parts.
    (Fuel tanks, battery and pump are under the body within the frame rails.)

We usually carry a couple of small tool boxes in the 32 - one for tools and one full of small stuff for repairs.
    Toss in a couple of hot rod chairs, couple of jackets and a small ice box and you're pretty much done.

You can see how little room is in the 32's trunk.

[​IMG]

11. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

Mine is a AA truck, and my rear setup is definitely more different than anything else you'll see out there on anything to do with an A. The pictures and build process are in the link located in my signature.

Coming up soon: More progress! Soon to be a roller and have the engine set into place! Woohoo!

12. Cornerfreak

Cornerfreak

I envy your trunk space! Haha but yes I have very little. Even less once the tank is in. I didn't want the low low stance you see quite often now-a-days. Just a lowered look that has useable suspension travel. Just trying to put as much detailed work as I am capable of for a solid ride and see what people notice. Here are a couple more pics of the rear suspension. A somewhat side pic of near ride height and completely dropped. About 8" of useable travel. C9 that's some nice work also. Looks well thought out.

Attached Files:

13. VAPHEAD

VAPHEAD
    BANNED

some dark lousy shots.
    plain and simple,ladder bars,transverse spring.

Attached Files:

14. dragsterboy

dragsterboy

Here's a couple shots of my 28 roadster. Stock Model A crossmember,35 split wishbones,40 rear end with a Wilson Welding quick change.

Attached Files:

15. cubed

cubed
    from Canada

16. heres the setup im just finshing up. skobuilt ladder bars shot gun style to clear the floor on a channel body. with the spiring in front of the axle

Attached Files:

17. The car should work great with 8" of travel.

I think mines gonna end up with about 6".

The 32 only has a touch over 2" at the rear.
    It does pretty good, but one of these days I need to C the frame and swap to a transverse spring like the 31 has.
    Right now it wouldn't do any good.
    I'm running the recommended coilover springs, but they only have the 2" + a bit of travel so it wouldn't do any good.

Once your car is up and running you could build a nice trailer from an A pickup box.

One of my Central California pals did that and towed it behind his Ford Courier or our friends 48 Ford F1 . . . and hauled a lot of car stuff in it.

Looked cool.