Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need Cadillac El Dorado intake info

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1955hemi, Mar 25, 2008.

1. 1955hemi

1955hemi

I bought a factory El Dorado dual 4 barrel intake manifold for my 52 Cad engine, and noticed that the intake surface for the rear carb is lower than the front one by about an inch. I can't figure why Cadillac would do this unless there was a clearance problem for the rear carb, caused by maybe the distributor or an electric windshield wiper motor on the original car. I plan on using 2 Edelbrock 500 cfm carbs with old style chrome bonnet type air cleaners, and needless to say, they would look goofy with the carburetors being uneven. Can anyone tell me why Cadillac did this/

2. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

The engine was mounted in the car tilted rearward. Hence, the manifold was designed to level the carbs.

3. Sonny Day Out

Sonny Day Out

Turn the Manifold around ! The rear carb. sits higher on the manifold than the front carb. ! It is because of the engine angle !

Good Luck,
    Sonny

4. 1955hemi

1955hemi

Thanks, Sonny. That's what I suspected, but my engine was built by well known vintage engine builder Jerry Duttweiler, and I couldn't believe he would bolt the intake on backwards.

Jim

5. Deville1904

Deville1904

So I just found a dual carb intake for sale. Its in good condition and I wouldnt mind throwing it on my 331. My 54 would sure enjoy that extra carb. Im sure my wallet wont though ^_^
    How much power gain are we talking here though?