Register now to get rid of these ads!

little outa the middle, TITUS's 50 ford coupe sectioning

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by titus, Mar 23, 2008.

1. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

I've had two chopped and sectioned shoeboxes and I personally don't think there is much cooler than the look of one all sliced up like that. However, there is a bunch of work involved in getting the trunk to match up with the rear quarters. I'm also moderately tall and more than moderately fat but I can still stuff my ass into a chopped and sectioned shoebox way easier than a model a coupe. I say ROCK ON BROTHA...

2. Stick Shift

Stick Shift
    from LENA IL

Oh boy. Thats cool Jeff. I hope that thing has a manual trans in it so when you sell it to me I won't have to change that over. I hope you get pics of all the cars together when the weather gets nice. Time to update that pic from last year. :)

3. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Cool, A hot rod guy building a custom, Love it. looks good man

4. rodknocker

rodknocker

what he said

5. DrJ

DrJ

It take gonads.! :cool:

What might look good with that would be to pancake the roof about 1"± from ABOVE the drip rails.

6. Jaker

Jaker

Amazing!

from the looks of that picture, you might need to section your beard next!

-Jake

7. titus

titus

i got one door kinda done or some what, what i ended up doing was grinding the edge of the hem off and cutting just the inner like i was thinking, only difference is that i ended up just welded the ends of the door edge and not re hammering the edge over, it just didnt work like i though it may but no big deal, i did how ever re hem the whole bottome of the door and it turned out great.

so one down, one to go!

here a couple of pics, sometime i just get in the mood and forget to take pics!

jeff

Attached Files:

8. titus

titus

well, i read one place to cut the quarters where the chrome goes, the cowl i just looked for the are that was the flatest, and the firewall i just cut where it looked easist plus i wanted to save the 2 origianal fire wall air vent thingys so i cut below them.

thanks everyone for support, i new it was gonna be a challenge, but i figured its just metal!

JEFF

9. hiboy32

hiboy32
    from Omaha, NE

Damn you make it look easy. way to go. Keep the pics coming

Jeff

10. Lucky77

Lucky77

Looking good Jeff.

11. Jaker

Jaker

right on!

12. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Rad Jeff... its looking Great-

13. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Please keep posting on this ... Section jobs scare the hell out of me ! I need to get past the fear.......

14. BJR

BJR

Once again I'm impressed by your skill. Brian

15. Jeff have you done the front fenders yet? This is going to be my next project but think it will be a truck of some sort.
    Nice job

16. Wicked Tin

Wicked Tin

That thing is going to be sweet when you get it done. Love the looks of a sectioned ride. Keep up the good work and keep us posted with pics!!

17. lucky_1974

lucky_1974

Hey quit messing with this late model shit and get back to building hot rods:D:p...nice work man!

18. Joel R.

Joel R.
    from MN

I really like it! cant wait to see it on the road,

19. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

Very Kool Titus!!!....It was great to see you and Jen in Detriot.......I am not short!!!....I have just maybe been section myself..he hee.......I sectioned a van that was donated in High School autobody, Its alot of work and planning.......Littleman

20. belair

belair

I like those cars sectioned. You are the man. Made it look easy, just like the magazines.

21. titus

titus

I pmd tuck about the front suspension he said you can flip the upprights to lower the car, do the upper adjustment holes for the upper control arms need to oblonged for further adjustment? or whats all involved?

thanks

jeff

22. sho1off

sho1off
    from Buffalo MN

You can take out material below the trunk lid and you won't have to cut the trunk (see picture) also you can take your cut out of the grill opening

Attached Files:

23. sho1off

sho1off
    from Buffalo MN

See grill opening is smaller I sectioned mine 4" its alot easier then 5 because below the trunk is about 4 inches and you don't have to worry about the rear inner fenders hitting the top of the quarter panel
    but 5, I would take 4 below the trunk and one inch out of the bottom of the trunk, or drop where the trunk fits down one inch the bumper would hide it anyway

Attached Files:

24. sho1off

sho1off
    from Buffalo MN

there is also a kit or you can make one yourself that you drill out the bottom rivits on the lower arm that holds the spring and put a one inch spacer or maybe 1 1/2 " between it and then use grade 8 bolts to bolt it back on lowers car a good 2-3 inches

25. y block

y block
    from kcmo

good looking so far- now you gotta put a flattie in there!

26. titus

titus

got a bit more done on the door, the bottom of the rear of the door hung out a little bit so i took care of that (i cut the inner of the door a little lower than i cut the quarter so the curve wasnt the same).

i also came up a little short on the bottom edge, i think the factory hem hung down a little more than i made it, so some flat bar stock a little welding and grinding and it fits prefect, i had to do a tiny bit of welding on the back edge of the door for the gap to be good but that turned out good too, i also retapped all the hinge bolt holes and put in some allen counter sunk bolts instead of the old stripped out phillips head bolts (gay) had to drill out 2 of the old bolts but that was no big deal.

im gonna section the trunl lid 5 inches too, i think itll be neat for all the factory edge still remain, i like to see the line from the back of the car.

i also took 2" out of the seat tracks and set the seat back in, i dont fit to bad but may have to take a little out of the seat backs to but im not sure, i dont want the seat sticking too much above the window openings.

stay tuned for more.

JEFF

Attached Files:

27. duke182

duke182

titus you are the man.
    absolutely the coolest thing i have seen on here in a long time.
    this thread is definately on the subcription list, keep the up dates coming.

28. towaholic

towaholic
    from Rogers, mn

you gonna chop it? Please? I will help.

29. Mojo

Mojo

Outstanding, I love sectioned cars, gonna watch this one like a hawk.