Register now to get rid of these ads!

Did you see what they did to "Project X" ..

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Big Dad, Mar 22, 2008.

1. vintage tin

vintage tin

I thought Super Chevy magazine had just revised that car a few years back.
    Even then I was wondering why Super Chevy had anything to do with a car that was always Popular Hot Rodding's car. I recently sold some vintage magazines. one of them was the begining of Project X, and had shown it as a stocker as it was purchased. Have always thought that was a wicked 57.
    It is actually the only YELLOW car I have ever liked.
    I agree with any of you that have said it is no longer a spectacular car. It is nothing special and now seems to be more of a marketing tool, than a cool 57 project car. I don't care for the Huge custom grill emblem advertising the GM 427 that is in the car.

Like somebody else had mentioned, hope it is better next time it gets a makeover.

2. Anderson

Anderson

They should just pull the plug completely and paint it purple.

I never cared for the car much....always hated the raised rear fender openings. But the first version of this thing was FAR better than today.

The half-assed bel air conversion was a big effin' mistake...the exhaust on the fenders look like a complete afterthought, and the hood bullets are horrible.

3. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

It definately needs Cragars and some Wrinklewalls.
    A sad day indeed.

4. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

It's screwed. Should have used a different car. I have a couple of the most recognizable parts of the original car in my shop- like a lot of magazine history was "thrown out in the trash" during a corporate move. I rescued the parts- and hopefully they will have a rightful place in a museum some day. For now, they are safe ;)

5. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

With those rear wheels, to me it looks like those little diecast cars that have huge wheels and are all out of proportion.

Like many said on the other site, lose the cartoonish rear wheels and tires, lose the stupid looking exhaust hole in the front fenders, return to 210 trim and it will look like a decent 57 Chevy. But Project X is gone, and it ain't coming back.

6. Karsen

Karsen

When I saw that, I wanted to hurl.
    But, the Tech Center isn't what it was years ago...
    Nice budget but poor allocation of funds and lack of talent.
    They blew it in my opinion. I liked it better back in 75.

Ken

7. Ryan is right, magazines are dead. the pulse of hotrodding is here. Fuck PHR for forgetting their past.

8. graverobber63

graverobber63
    Alliance Vendor

I saw it up close at Detroit this year, and shook my head in shame.

9. Blacktop Graffiti

Blacktop Graffiti

Just 'cause you can doesn't mean you should.

10. fiftyfiveford

fiftyfiveford

Looks a little off like the wheels aren't centered and dont fit right, maybe its the proportions are off, I cant nail it down but something (besides the styling) is looks weird.

11. Dukeofbluz

Dukeofbluz

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

My Favorite version!
    Duke

12. Falcon_Rod

Falcon_Rod

Duke, I have to agree with you; That's one hot lookin' chevy.

13. primed34

primed34

Pretty hard to screw up a '57, but someone sure has.

14. Muttley

Muttley

That looks like crap.

15. knotheads

knotheads

over the years there have been many versions of project X . some i liked, some i didnt ...the cars whole life with Popular Hotrodding has been the subject of the latest fads of the time...one thing i feel is certain ...this isnt the last version of Project X!

16. Nailhead

Nailhead

This is my favorite version !

17. KernCountyKid

KernCountyKid
    from Arkansas

man, i really like it. i'd love to get my hands on one of those 427's. i hope they pound the shit out of it and rebuild it again in a few years. any shots of the interior?

18. Nocturnal

Nocturnal
    from CO

Time for a Clone... anyone?

19. The only thing worse than what they've done to the car,is the PHR staffers attitude. Yes it's their car,but he acts like he personally has built all the different versions. When a car becomes an icon in the industry,you become the "caretaker of history". That staffer's attitude,towards the enthusiasts,that have been along for the ride,supporting the evolution of "Project X" for many years,just insured that i for one will "NEVER"pick up and look at that magazine,let alone part with any of my valuable dollars to purchase one!!!:mad:One more step towards,"Total World Domination by the HAMB"Ryan treats the enthusiasts with "Respect"!

20. Tony

Tony

I sold a 57 210 post to a good friend of mine last year....he mentioned to me not too long ago if i'd be interested in buying it back..my wheel's started turning when i read this thread and the one Big Dad posted from the other site........it's a thought....

21. The real problem is the car has been changed many times. And the most popular version was cut up long before the places like the HAMB came along. So there would have been no public forum outcry.

So we cannot blame the folks at GM for cutting up an ICON. That version was cut up and tossed long before this recent build.

Of course everyone here has there favorite version and they differ as well. All we can do now is remember the way we liked it the best.

Lets just be thankfull, the Grafiti Coupe wasn't turned into a mono chromatic street rod in the 80's and other cars like Doen Spencer's roadster, and Pete and Jakes cars didn't get updated with changing trends and fads.

I expect Jim A's clone to be spot on:D

22. BrokeDick

BrokeDick
    from Idaho

I have a 57 283 shortblock in the shed for the clone.

23. bigolds

bigolds

I know that the builders(this time) are high profile guys, But this build just smacks of the look at me high dollar over the top builds. In the past the car seemed to be more of a realistic build for the average joe. I too really think they missed the mark!!!!!

24. buckeye_01

buckeye_01

What a shame. Its just another billet barge now. As mentioned before, I'm sure the fab work is top notch but the luster of the car is gone now.

25. Moparhead

Moparhead

:D:D:D That's Funny!

Fuzz

26. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

I like it a lot.

27. belair

belair

I like what they did with the interior, dash and steering wheel-cool 60's vibe on the inside. Then to go and put wagon wheels on it-how incongruous (word for the day) is THAT? I never liked the cut up fenders, and who in their right mind would loose a blown big block? I guess we'll wait for another trend.

28. Oilcan Harry

Oilcan Harry
    from INDY

I too go all the way back to the bought it off a used car lot era. I followed every issue to see what happed next. The only real reason I bought PHR. Project X has always been my favorite 57 but its ruined now. There were plenty of 57s they could have screwed up and left this one alone.
    I absolutely HATE this big wheel thing. Cars with the big wheels all look like Hot Wheels in full size. Thats what happens when Hot Wheels kids grow up and build real cars. They bring the same goofy proportions to life.
    Project X was always a test bed for different parts and techniques. Various combos of engines, transmissions, and rear axles, and visual changes. I guess I just hate this new stuff. Checkbook rodders will eat this up. Its exactly what most would want. Too bad the checkbook rodder icon just passed. We coulda had a whole bunch of these.
    Sorry, somewhat vented.

29. coupster

coupster
    from Oscoda Mi

I saw the TV show a couple weeks ago, turned it off after 10 min's. I also remember when they bought it off the used car lot. Sad end to a bitch'n car.

30. Rudebaker

Rudebaker
    from Illinois

Project X is dead, Project "Xcrement" has taken it's place.:mad::mad::mad: