Register now to get rid of these ads!

Pulling 235 from my '53

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ComingApart, Mar 21, 2008.

1. ComingApart

ComingApart

I'm trying to pull the 235/3speed out of my '53 210.

what exactly do i need to do to separate the torque tube from the transmission to pull it out?

The carrier bearing type thing that bolts to the crossmember, I'm assuming that where it will separate, but everything is covered in 60 years years worth of oil, grease and road mung so i can't really make out what needs to happen there.

I've got everything else ready to go, but thats holding me up.
    Thanks for any help.

2. Bill Schickling

Bill Schickling

Clean it. You'll see how it comes apart. Basically just four bolts holds the keys to the kingdom.

3. Suicide-D

Suicide-D
    from Texas

4. When I did mine it was my first time working with a torque tube, and it took me a minute to figure it out. When I first pulled it apart I took the large nut off the torque tube and yanked the engine and trans. Theres a ball and socket type deal bolted to the back of the trans that the torque tube goes onto and it's easier to just unbolt that from the trans and leave it on the tube. If memory serves me correct, when I put the engine and trans back in the car I slid the ball and socket setup over the torque tube first and it was easier to get things lined up. I am almost positive that's how it went, it's been about 6 months.

5. ComingApart

ComingApart

Thanks for the help guys. I got it pulled out this afternoon.
    Just a few notes:

The metal retainer tabs on the trunion cap bolts suck ass when you only have 3 or so inches to get to the bolts.

I'm an idiot for not picking up a load leveler for my hoist, it would have taken a 10th of the time if i had.

Just go ahead and remove the motor mount plates from the frame to pull the motor, they will get in the way later if you don't.

i'm sick of linkages and cotter pins too...

Thanks again, guys