Register now to get rid of these ads!

Screwed.. Need to find a title for my 54

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MVM, Mar 21, 2008.

1. MVM

MVM

I bought it off an older gentleman who was sure he could find the papers. Well its been a few months and he is still looking.

Any idea how I could pull this off in Massachusetts ?

2. in minnesota you can have the registered owner file for a lost title, then sign it over to you

3. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

I am going through Broadway Title. I'll post when it works. It was going to cost 4-5x as much through the state.

4. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

I dunno how it works out there,

But if its not on the computer file your own lost title with the vin # off the body.

say you owned it 15 years and let reg go out the year after you bought it cus it blew up.

5. DKING

DKING
    from LAS VEGAS

I used international title service.Worked great,took 2 weeks for the paperwork walked in the dmv walked out 20 min later with a plate and sticker 3 weeks later had a title in my hand.I think the price is about $175 now and its worth every penny.

6. MVM

MVM

Wow, thats cheaper then I thought.

7. DKING

DKING
    from LAS VEGAS

It was $130 when i did it last year but prices changed for 08.Still well worth the money.

8. slam49

slam49
    from tulsa ok

in oklahoma you can file a title 42, which is a mechanics lien. i pay a lady $70.00 and she sends me the paper work. takes about a month

9. There was a post a few days ago about MA - seems they hit you for the "restored" value when you go to register the car, and they hit you for back penalties on it based on the date of the reciept. But it had some title information in the thread too.

I think I'd try claiming it was a Connecticut or New York car if it hasn't been registered in more than 8 or 10 years (long enough to be out of their computers) and see if I could get it done with a signed and dated reciept - and date it within a week of the day I went to the DMV.

Reason for that is CT and NY don't use titles for cars that old, and MA knows it, and if I remember right according to the post they accept a reciept as proof of ownership. I don't remember if you need a NY or CT registration too, or not. But why spend $175 on a title if you don't need to? They'll hit you on the taxes for enough as it is.

10. I had a similiar problem with a 63 cadillac a few years ago. Although it's not the most legal way to go, I bought a title and vin from a caddy in a junk yard, and swapped vin tags. I had no problems

11. Huh?
    Bill Of Sale In Hand
    Few Pics Of The Car
    Get The Vin And And The Guy Ya Bought It From
    Have Documents On What You Paid(agreed To Pay)
    Old Lic Plates /tabs
    Old Insurance Papers ...
    Go See The Dmv

His Excuse Is?

Lost Title
    Bank Owns It (colatteral On Loan)
    Co Owned With Wife ..ex ...dead . Missing?
    Lotsa Parkin/moving Violations Repoed Driver License

It Was His Property? So He's The Man ...

IMPLIED VALUE BRING A CURRENT"OLD CARS PRICE GUIDE"THATS WHAT THEY USE HERE AT THE DMV ..
    BE READY TO SHOW ITS CONDITION AND VALUE .. ABOVE OR BELOW YOUR PURCHASE PRICE

If he Did Have A Title Ever Thats All You Should Have To Do..
    If He Won't Go Cuz He Never Owned It ... Well...

The Car Is Devalued Some And Now Use Some Of The Other Ideas Here

12. oldchevyseller

oldchevyseller
    from mankato mn

http://www.mass.gov/rmv/titles/6dup.htm

http://www.mass.gov/rmv/forms/title.htm
    :confused:

get the form, have the old guy fill it out and mail it in, believe it is the cheapest and the very best way to get a title if it existed in his name they will send a copy and then have him sign that and take it down to the dmv and transfer it,

i have had to do this a few times in minnesota and works fine, funny my 60 belair title came back in the guy's exwife name,,, so i called her and she got the money i got the car :D
    so the only hitch is if he really had title or it is not in his then you worry about getting a title another way

13. Belchfire8

Belchfire8

Here in Mich. it's $5 for a "lost" title replacement. At least it was last time I needed one.

14. Now, there's no reason to do that at all in New York, unless you know the serial number is going to come up in use or stolen. New York makes it easy to get a registration. But that's not MA, so I didn't repeat it here.

15. patman

patman

NH doesn't title older cars either...the registration is supposed to be proof of ownership, but a bill of sale should work too.

16. Abomb

Abomb

In Kansas, you can do a legal procedure called "quieting of title". You'll need a lawyer to basically sue the car in court because the previous owner would not or could not provide a title. You'll need a bill of sale though. It cost me $125 in lawyer fees, and the state sent me a new KS title in my name.

17. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard

I have a '38 Chev pickup that I bought in 1956. That is me and the truck in the avatar as we both were in 1956. It hasn't been registered since 1963. All paperwork is long gone due to moving a few times, brother throwing out stuff stored at the folks farm etc. They won't give me a title for it. They say "it looks like you're out of luck." Nice place this state. "We are here to serve you." Yeah, right.

18. MVM

MVM

Mass sucks...

19. There in lies the problem. For whatever reason (totally unknown to me) there was not a VIN number to be found on the car, anywhere. I honestly don't know why, I bought it from an antique dealer, who got it from an estate sale. I tried all the legal shit, never got anywhere. So I got creative!

20. MVM

MVM

Well I have a bill of sale, vin number, but Mass is still giving me shit cause even thought the gentleman whom i bought it from was from NH.. he had never registered the car while living there and lost the Mass title.

Do you think if I had him get me a NH temp plate and then try to register it in mass with the bill of sale ? I know NH cannot legally turn me away if it was a NH car because NH stops making titles after 15 years.

21. FencePost

FencePost

have him register it. NOT TEMP. He can get a reg with no plates. THEN take his reg and the bill of sale to the RMV. IT works it's how I do it all the time.

22. I got mine from the same company but it was under $150

23. Still $130
    http://www.its-titles.com/