Register now to get rid of these ads!

ATTENTION CAL GUYS: They're trying to SCREW US AGAIN! Do your PART!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KIRK!, Mar 18, 2008.

1. Mad Dog Tattoo

Mad Dog Tattoo

2. lewislynn

lewislynn

Fuck'n liberals!

3. Shoprag

Shoprag

cool my car made a flyer. LOL marc bring some of those by the barber shoppe 2morrow por favor!!! make sure it says S.B. instead of S.D. so you don't have to sharpe in the B on 2000 flyers. LOL

If you guys are coming on monday, make sure we don't just run a muck out front, we don't want to prove their point for them. No donuts, no burn outs, no rappin the pipes and if your car smokes more than a freight train, remember the news camara's will be there.

THIS IS NOT A CAR SHOW!!! IT'S THE LIVELY HOOD OF:

SPREADING THE GOSPEL OF TRADITIONAL HOTRODS AND CUSTOMS TO HOODLUMS WORLD WIDE...

4. loudpedal

loudpedal
    from SLC Utah

Are you California guys paying attention to this?

I'd like to see a roll call for the protest.

5. 49coupe

49coupe

I wish you guys luck, but more and more of this is coming with the Green movement and the votes that go along with it. Even if you squash this one, another one will follow.

They tried passing a law up here to outlaw ANY modified car, regardless of year to get at street racing. That would have basically banned EVERY modified car and you can imagine the impact on our hobby. Our clubs and discussions helped tame it down to what they were really getting at, Hondas with NOS racing on our streets.

At some point we should work with these guys so that we can both get a win. I don't think it would every be realistic to get my flathead to pass 2008 emissions, but there are some issues I agree with. I somehow dont' think that's what their getting at anyway.

- if you put a crate 2008 motor in your rod, should your car be subject to testing? If the same engine goes in a 2008 car/truck body it would be.

- how about if you buy a brand new reproduction body and put in an old motor what happens?

I think the testing should follow the engine, not the model year of the car if this goes through. If you decide not to take any measures to reduce emission on your new motor, you would be subject to some penalty to encourage you to comply.

Put yourself in the local politicians shoes and try explaining to your voters why the unsafe, rusted looking "rat rod" with a modern OHV V8 going to the next Ol School rods shoot is not subject to any the safety and emission laws they are, but that their Honda Civic is required to pass an emission test every 3 years.

I agree there are better places to start. A gas lawn mower pollutes more in an hour an a Ford Focus running 6 hours. The two stroke marine engines and chain saws etc. are even worse. But if you started there the marine industry and boating groups would scream as well. Like it or not it's not going to get any better, at least I dont think so. So I think if we work with them to give them something to show that they are doing something and we get to keep our tradition alive everybody wins. If we scream every time they want to do something at some point they stop listening and try and sneek it by us. At least up here were are a very very small portion of the general population and it's all about votes. They don't actually give a shit about the environment, just their own ass. Just my 0.02.

6. Shoprag

Shoprag

We were talking last that a good 80-90% of our "older cars" prolly have the oil changed more often then new cars and more than likely tuned up more often than a new car. I don't know about you guys but in my flathead 6 counting rebuild, intake, headers and exhaust, etc. I have about 24 to 2600 into it, so I'm gonna do my dambdist to make sure it runs good.

7. loudpedal

loudpedal
    from SLC Utah

I don't like this attitude.

Everyone should stand and voice their opinion to their representatives no matter what the odds are. It is our civic duty and we have the RIGHT to do so.

It's the AMERICIAN thing to do!

I for one will NOT roll-over and let something like this happen in my city without a FIGHT!

The 'Green Movement' is out of control. It is moving into the relm of "DO NOTHING LEGISLATION", and this feel good proposal is a shining example of such!

8. Why don't they check emissions at the border...have you ever been behind some of the b.c. mex cars and seen how much crap pours out of the exhaust? Not to mention probably no insurance...blah. blah. blah...rodders are becoming an endangered species...

9. Jbird-of-prey

Jbird-of-prey

Hey fellers!!!! a few of the emails I sent, using the links provided at the beginning of this thread, were either bounced by a spam filter or tossed into a junk file. We need to go to each congressmans' public website and send our messages through that site. You can find the individual websites by using www.sen.ca.gov/whateverthefuckslastnameis typed into your address bar. Click the contact button and let him know what you're thinking. This way ther's a better chance he may even see our protests. A little more finger work but a lot more effective. Just copy and paste your letter into the message box. Jbird:cool:

10. tjm73

tjm73

Many don't realize it, but as Cali goes, so does NY. The only diff is NY can't get enough support to have tailpipe sniffing State wide. Implimentation/maintainence costs is most often the reason cited.

11. Shoprag

Shoprag

We are getting ready to head over to Sonic on roberts and olive to pass out some flyers. There will be flyers past out at 2morrows car show also. Come one, come all, best behavior on monday can't be emphasized enough.

12. Brad B

Brad B
    from Nor Cal

Just emailed the top guy.

thanks Kirk for bringing this up.

13. greasel

greasel
    from Fresno, CA

thanks kirk. i've got all my family and friends from around here to get on sending emails, even my grandma is pissed and she hasn't driven for years!

14. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Have a Happy Easter-Support SEMA and support efforts to stop this bill

15. greasel

greasel
    from Fresno, CA

how'd the protest go? anyone have any news on this?

16. Hyfire

Hyfire

17. RatBone

RatBone

how do they plan on deciding which cars are classics and which arent?:confused:

how are they going to know if you went over 15k miles?:confused:

idiots:(

18. greasel

greasel
    from Fresno, CA

"He said his bill targets old cars that are not classics -- making them adhere to smog standards from the year the car was manufactured."

where are these 'smog standards' coming from? I thought build date determined whether something's 'classic' or not, where's his list that dictates what 50's cars are classics and which aren't...?!

"Florez said more than 60,000 people die from lung-related illnesses in the Central Valley every year due to poor air quality."

Family in-law is part indian and told me of how his ancestors in the late 1800's called the San Joaquin the 'Valley of Smoke'...so where the hell were those indians hiding their hot rods and farm tractors?!

"That's more than triple the amount of people killed in car crashes."

how many smoked, how many lived under power lines, how many had a family history of cancer, how many got the 'valley fever' spore, which last I checked, spores aren't cause by even the most harmful of 'classic cars'.

I have a friend here in fresno that's done a fair amount of work with good ole' Dean; said Florez is a typical politician and couldn't care less about economical or environmental impact. based on his personal experience with the guy, every decision made was how it would personally affect his own career and special interest image. makes me sick that people voted for this guy.

19. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Thanks for update Hyfire. Hopefully someone sent this to SEMA. Thanks also goes to everyone that took the time to show up for this event. Anymore pics, info? I contacted my local Senators too.

20. Shoprag

Shoprag

21. RatBone

RatBone

any news on this?

22. westcoaster

westcoaster
    from SoCal

i sent my emails in my best intellectual font. haha.

23. greasel

greasel
    from Fresno, CA

haha, I 'clean up' well when I'm writing letters/emails for stuff like that. I've found that if I re-read and edit enough times, sometimes I come across sounding smart!:)

24. 52 Pickup

52 Pickup
    from Oakley, CA

Current California law requires smog for the year of engine or the year of vehicle, which ever is newest. Also, it is still illegall to remove a smog device from a vehicle but since below 76 is exempt from bi-annual tests nobody is checking.....till this passes. Doesn't matter what is coming out the tailpipe, many will fail the visual and be refused license. Once it is in the states computor you can forget about it in California unless you meet the requirements. Just another step towards legislating old cars off the road. Flores is an asshole and he just keeps chipping away at us. By working with him we just keep losing ground. Unfortunatly that's how it works though. Those Liberal morons down there voted for him...

25. greasel

greasel
    from Fresno, CA

yep, they don't give a rat's ass about efficiency (unless it's a kangaroo rat, then the land will be repossessed and declared a preservation). a friend put vortec heads and a CARB approved edelbrock mpfi intake manifold on his '88 truck to improve on the TBI and crappy heads, got 5mpg better and the referee/inspector wouldn't approve it because 'newer heads' can't be used, only a newer engine swap with all of the emissions/computer controls. so he had to sell the thing out of CA or put the stock heads on after getting more power and more mileage out of it.

and yes, it's still illegal to remove any of the emissions equipment on a pre-76 or any year diesel, they're all just TEST exempt. which is why everything I drive is either diesel, pre-63 or motorcycles...I got my bases covered!!

26. 52 Pickup

52 Pickup
    from Oakley, CA

Think of it like a big bait and switch. Take old cars out of inspection for several years and then change the law back and see how many they catch....Like I said, what comes out the pipe doesn't matter but making everyone put back what is missing with hard to find parts and you end up getting a bunch of them off the road. Don't think for a minute that some of those assholes in Sacramento don't think that way.