Register now to get rid of these ads!

ATTENTION CAL GUYS: They're trying to SCREW US AGAIN! Do your PART!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KIRK!, Mar 18, 2008.

1. 48reo

48reo

every since the damn yuppies moved in the neighborhood has gone to hell

2. Weasel

Weasel

This is typical 21st Century political 'ethics'. Not only do the politicians have a total disconnect with the voters and citizens, but they also do not give a damn about showing it and stuffing it in our collective faces. They are not interested in what anyone has to say and they are blatant enough to stonewall any attempt at communication from outside their bubble. This is in line with the big business 21st century model - stonewall the customer and the problem goes away.

I would suggest that now might be the time to figure out how to acquire the car(s) you want, how to get them and get them registered in your name before this political grandstanding crap - and that is exactly what it is - kicks in. It has no basis in fact and is just emotive issue feelgood button pushing. In any event it is always wise policy to register that junkpile - oops I mean killer rod in the making - as soon as you get it, running or not. It is a cheap premium for peace of mind, and once it is yours what you do with it is up to you. You can always non op it after a year and then simply relicense it by paying fees when you are ready to roll. If this is the herald of things to come, we would all be well advised to do some long term planning now (not just in CA), before it is too late.

3. prl98

prl98

Back in the '70's my grandfather and a guy named Jack Passey started an organization called A.C.C.C. to act as wacth-dogs for the car hobby, and to fight laws that would kill this hobby. Grandpa died last year but the A.C.C.C. lives on. Everyone should look into joining them. A bigger voice is what those people who have to justify their jobs will listen to.

4. Well, they test '86 and older vehicles by the '75-'86 standard, and there have been EPA regulations on vehicle emissions since at least the 60's, so I would guess they would go by the oldest standard available, or the standard that applied to the vehicle when new, whichever is more strict.
    And your numbers look wrong. '86-up should be HC: 400 PPM or something of that nature. Because all '86 and newer cars were required to have cats installed, and removing the cats is a violation of Federal law. It is nearly impossible (nearly, not impossible) to have a car without cats pass the '86-up sniffer specs, and not have a major drivability problem. However, if you fail the '75-'86 specs, driving a car that far out of tune will cut the engine's life bigtime, if it's even drivable.
    "really old cars can't pass that standard" - BS. A stock Model T can.
    "Hot rods can't pass that standard" - BS - A 600 HP Caddy can pass the '75-'86 standard (at about 1/2 the limit) through flow masters. The same engine can pass '92 standards with high flow cats that have ZERO measurable effect on the power on the chassis dyno. If it's running right, not a trailered race car, and has cats (if required) it WILL pass the sniffer.
    Just my $.02.
    For all of the gory details on all laws affecting our hobby nationwide, and suggestions on what to say when you write your representatives, visit http://www.semasan.com/.

5. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

A couple of things....Back in the late sixties there was a project car done for CAR CRAFT. It was a Javelin with a 348 and was equipped with Jardine headers, Offy intake, Crower cam and a Weber clutch. This car was brand new and went through a CARB test and passed with flying colors. There are a number of stories on engine builds that passed CARB tests on emissions. These might be handy to have and pass out at the hearings.

The glitch that bites everybody in the ass is the visual. For a while, Edelbrock and Offy were offering single 4-barrel manifolds with no logos and suggesting that the be painted the correct engine color before installation.

I suspect that most pre-1976 cars will pass the actual smog test, but fail the visual if that part of the law is still intact. Now I remember why I moved from SoCal to Colorado

6. Yesterday I sent a fax to Florez's office is huge writing saying NO ON SB 1549-THE TAXPAYERS also in the letter i wrote her i mentioned the commercial i have been seeing lately about if we all use high efficency appliances its like taking 50,000 cars off the road. Do you think there are 50,000 of us on the road at all times....no

7. tooslow54

tooslow54

Somewhat true, but the reason you'll hear against a sniff only test is "evaporative emissions". What gets out the air cleaner, valve cover breathers etc. That's one of the reasons you see those big black box air cleaners on newer cars. A typical engine in our cars has a chrome or painted air cleaner with an exposed air filter element and valve cover breathers. The EPA doesn't like these kinds of things...

8. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Yep, this sucks!! As for smog controls I had bought a '65 Mustang that had a required NOX (spell?) smog check device on it. Plus, remember seeing a '55 Chevy small block with a required PCV type set up attached to the oil breather tube on it. Cali has been at this a long time.
    Even if you do not live in affected areas and e-mails do not go through send a few letters out. All the help to stop this idea is needed.

9. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

This is getting ridiculous......
    Emission equip didn't come out 'till '68 ('65 in Cali), so how can the gov change the rules after the fact?
    I don't see how this would affect pre-65 cars with pre-65 engines.....but it probably will anyway.....

Must not be making enough $$$....so gotta find new ways to get it.

10. Bigblock351w

Bigblock351w
    BANNED

thank god Mississippi dosent have emissions... or real inspections... hell, you could almost bring in the windshield for the sticker.lol

11. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

everybody better get on board to help knock this out! or one day you will be able go out in the garage and think back when use to drive that car sitting there!

12. Bigblock351w

Bigblock351w
    BANNED

ill drive mine legal or not. ill fight to the end.

13. Chops

Chops

DAMN IT!!!!!!!!!!! Whats next, taxing air!!! emails sent accordingly!!!

14. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

BTT
    How about pining this thread at the top? over!

15. Crafty

Crafty
    from UK

thanks for the info. The figures I quoted are for over here (UK), even now a car doesn't have to have a catalytic convertor in order to pass the emissions test, but the restrictions on the HC are so low a cat is the most cost effective way of making it pass. One of my old daily drivers was a '91, it had a cat but didn't need it, I think it was late 92 they tightened up on the HCs which meant cats were on new cars.. Note that our standards are not applied retrospectively, so that old daily still wouldn't need a cat even now.
    The emissions test is part of the MOT test which is an annual test once the car is three years old.

In some european countries you have to get permission before you drive your "classic car", the journey has to be for a specfic reason and you have to take the most direct route.. No doubt the fools in Brussels will try and inflict that on us at some point.

16. The movie "American Graffiti" would have never been filmed if this law was in affect! George Lucas where are you?

17. 3x2rocket

3x2rocket

"I really doubt the government wants to emissions test old vehicles as a way of cleaning our air, but more as a way to generate revenue. What kind of person who cares for our planet wouldn't want to get all those "old cars" emission tested?! I'd venture a guess and say our old cars would expel more emissions sitting in the EMISSIONS TESTING FACILITY line than running up to the hardware store or to the local cruise deal.

It's a typical "sounds right/feels good" bill. We can remind our "representatives" of the fact that our old cars contribute such a small amount towards the total pollution problem, but most know this already."

Jeem hit it on the head here! These asshats just wanna squeeze us for some cash. If enough of us argue our valid points it will make a difference if these bastards fear losing votes! So send some emails and make some calls!

18. Mad Dog Tattoo

Mad Dog Tattoo

Loco Banditos are on it!
    VOTE!!!!
    Marc DeLeon aka Mad Dog Tattoo for Mayor of Bakersfield June 3, 2008

19. tooslow54

tooslow54

Hey guys, take pics and post 'em.

20. Bigblock351w

Bigblock351w
    BANNED

taint letting this happen, come HELL OR HIGH WATTER!

even if i have to drive my truck through the damn courthouse!

21. Mad Dog Tattoo

Mad Dog Tattoo

I will Post Pic's !

22. tragic59

tragic59

Kirk, is SEMA considering a petition drive? It seems to me they should have a booth set up at EVERY car show, cruise and swap between now and April 1st.

23. SanDiegoJoe

SanDiegoJoe

WHAT I SENT TO ALL THE SENATORS

Legislation (S.B. 1549) has been introduced in the California State Senate by Senator Dean Florez ([email protected]) to repeal the state's current emissions test exemption for pre-1976 vehicles registered by new owners in the San Joaquin Valley Unified Air Pollution Control District. The District includes eight counties in California's Central Valley: San Joaquin, Stanislaus, Merced, Madera, Fresno, Kings, Tulare and the valley portion of Kern. Under the bill, after Jan. 1, 2009, new owners seeking to register a pre-1976 vehicle in these eight counties would be subject to emissions tests for the life of the vehicle. S.B. 1549 is scheduled to be considered by the California Senate Transportation and Housing Committee on April 1, 2008.

Please concider the loss in jobs and tax revenue before voting on this legislation.

If something like this passes, California hot rod shops, restoration shops and parts sellers will lose billions of dollars.

The custom and hot rod aftermarket represents a huge portion of the California economy. All that tax revenue will be lost, too.

Not a good move in a recession. The loss in jobs and the companies that will go out of business will are not justified by the negligible amount of clean air and revenue from additional smog regulation.

Joe Poutous Sr.
    and my address and phone number

24. tragic59

tragic59

Not to mention the tourism industry that is based on the "Car Culture". Imagine the money that will be lost in cities like Pleasonton, Pamona, Famoso/Bako and Turlock, (and hundreds of others) if the Car Culture dries up based on some stupid smog laws.

25. i'm not either, but, this shit always seems to trickle our way eventually. why can't they just leave us alone. they treat us like terrorist or something.

26. Shoprag

Shoprag

I went and printed up 2000 flyers today, we are going to meet this monday march 24 @ 1800 30th street from 9am til 11am. If you can make it please show up with cars and banners and don't forget your respect at home. we are going to have a peaceful protest in front of senator florez's office. Talked to maddog, mark and we are gonna make some more flyers for a cruise and car show thats going on here in bakersfield this weekend. We hit a good majority of shops today and are gonna try and get the rest 2morrow.

I ended my letters to the senators with see you at the polls!!!

27. Jbird-of-prey

Jbird-of-prey

Sent my emails. Buncha fuckin retards up here, they don't have a clue what will help the smog situation. They just try to do stuff so voters will think they're trying to do stuff. Jbird

28. thewishartkid

thewishartkid

HEY! If this Thread is not Politics I'll eat mt HAT! Sitting in the Garage in the car you used to drive BECAUSE we all want everything to be GREEN and FRESH will SUCK too!!!

29. someone has to stop this BULLSHIT! some needs to do some heavy backround checks on these assholes like the poporazzti does on the actors, dig up some dirt on these bastards quick. sure hate to have my grandchildren ask "what was a hot rod gramps"

30. 48reo

48reo

E-mails sent