Register now to get rid of these ads!

Who invented the Burnout (at the drags)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Billybobdad, Mar 19, 2008.

1. Billybobdad

Billybobdad

Way back when all dragcars pulled straight up to the line and made their run and usually smoked their tires down the track. All of a sudden ('65 or so) every one started doing burnouts (with rosin?). Did something change with the tires or did somebody get a sudden brain flash and figure out that more traction was to be had with hot tires, hence the burnout was invented?

2. touchdowntodd

touchdowntodd

who put the bop in the bop....

seriously, who cares..............................

3. Psychobilly351w

Psychobilly351w
    from 732- NJ

Good question but who put the Ram in the Rama lama ding dong???

4. BoomBoom

BoomBoom

Lets not forget the Dip DeDip DeDip!

5. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I think it's a valid curiosity...

When I first started drag racing, we were campaigning a s/c car for Super Shops. Les Figueroa (now top alcohol) came to Texas just to give us a run down on strategy, etc... One of the things he was huge on was the 3-second burnout. Procedure was simple:

1. Put her 2nd
    2. Engage line lock
    3. Hold RPMs at 5000 for three seconds
    4. release line lock and roll off the throttle

Les had been at Goodyear and while there they were just finishing up some heat range testing. Together they figured the optimal temp for a tire at a certain launch point. They gathered that the 3-sec burnout was most optimal...

Those big nasty burn outs you see any bracket or street car perform? Just a waste of rubber? And dry hopping? Hard on components and worth nothing performance wise...

6. injectedA

injectedA

Start googling and reading the history of the “smokers” meets. Which I believe was actually to slow the cars down.

Something I did learn, Grumpy Jenkins is credited with bringing about the 60’ times. He would pull a new tune-up out into the street in front of the shop and launch, each pull would give them the info they were seeking without running the car through.

7. DirtyThirty

DirtyThirty
    from nowhere...

Depends on the tires, I would think, really...different compounds heat at different rates, the temps that day, the track, tire psi, all kinds of things...I know drag radials and cheaters get greasy if its too long...they can get worse. But...yes, in general, a REALLY long burnout is mainly for show, I figure...maybe the extended burnout, past the line, like nitro/alcohol cars do, is just a tribute, in a way, to the days of no tire technology...?
    and...of course: no front brakes.

8. touchdowntodd

touchdowntodd

its valid for the forum, but probably impossible to trace..

"who was that man? id like to shake his hand............."

9. KIRK!

KIRK!

The burnout was invented by William C. Burns in 1917. While trying to find a cure for his desperately small penis he sought out many ways to divert attention from his tiny member. His first successful burnout was accomplished on May 19th, 1917 in Dumosston, IL. The women in attendance were unimpressed.

Burns is also credited with the invention of the truck lift-kit for use on street-driven trucks during the same time period of experimentation.

10. ncranger05

ncranger05

wow i bout fell out of my chair... thats funny kirk...

11. I seem to remember some Funny Cars used to do
    two burn outs,before each pass.That was probably early '70s.

12. dry hops baby.
    i can smell the vht from here.

13. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

I dont know about the first burn out but the long smokey funnycar burnout is said to have been originated in Springfield IL at Drag City mid to late 60's by Pat Minnick driving for Austin Coil (Chi town Hustler) here is a link to the story.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=239915

14. Billybobdad

Billybobdad

I always thought that the Corvette was the original small member diversion device.
    I stand corrected
    BBD

15. Muttley

Muttley

He also invented the Spork, solar powered night vision and is Godfather to Chuck Norris.

16. KIRK!

KIRK!

That's the guy.

17. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

Herby, the salesman at the local Goodyear store started the burnout

18. thirty7slammed

thirty7slammed
    BANNED
    from earth

Fuckin showoffs :D

19. Straightpipes

Straightpipes

Well, I ran in the 19's with my flathead Ford in 1962 and did NOT invent the burnout. This is opposed to the SMOKEY burnout which all of those hanging out at the drivein in the same timeframe may remember.

20. Shag

Shag

Ryan,

I'll start keeping a count and let you know if I see a difference in my 60 foot times. I usually do between a 3 - 5 count and keep a consistent 1.5 second 60's. If I go less than 3 it makes a big difference.

One more thing to add to my reference logs. :)

21. DirtyThirty

DirtyThirty
    from nowhere...

Later, they would combine the awesome power of the two, in one place...and they would do it with lots of curly, free-range chest hairs...

22. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Hey... Shag... the national event winner!!!!

23. publicenemy1925

publicenemy1925
    from OKC, OK

How about when the big match racers came to town, they would prep the track themselves by sprinkleing rosin all over the launch area then sweeping it down the track to make a groove to run in.

24. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

My brother took alot of drags in the seventies and man did he get burnout.

25. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

First Burn Out............Timmothy Leary

26. About 1963 wrinkle wall slicks came out.

Racers learned that the wrinkle walls worked well if they spun em up in a puddle of bleach.
    Hence, the name: Bleach Box.

No big long burnouts, the idea was to clean the tire, roll to the line and race.

First time I saw bleach used was at Irwindale where Dyno Don's Comet and Stone-Woods-Cook were having a match race.
    Rumor went they were running fuel.
    The cars were cranking off 9's at around 165 mph.

Sox & Martin ring a bell for me as the first team to use rosin.
    They did a bit of a burnout, others picked up on it and it became a showmanship thing.

Most time, burnouts are pretty boring and it holds the race up due to cars that don't need to heat the tires sit in the water and spin the tires.

Best one I've seen there to date was a Quad at the recent airport drags.
    He spun the knobby little tires until the four wheeler was enveloped in smoke.
    His moment in the sun I guess.

If you're running a treaded street tire, no way you need to do a burnout.
    Drive around the box and make a pass . . . there's more to it than simply nailing it and hanging on . . . finesse is what counts here.

27. injectedA

injectedA

Yes, burnouts on street tires are a bad thing.

If you do HAVE to roll through the water and you’re on street tires you should do a couple of dry hops. If you don’t, once staged the water runs down your tread and comes to rest under the tire patch. The only thing consistent there is that you will spin every time.

28. 47bob

47bob

Then they replaced the bleach with gasoline and did the firey burnouts which didn't last long.

29. Don't forget that the front tires can remain wet, the rear tires hit the water on the launch and there went your chances for a good launch.
    And a win.

Another one you have to check for is to make sure your fenderwells are not retaining water and slowly dripping out.
    Seen that one create a few probems.

'Course, building the right car prevents fenderwell leakage problems.

Just for the heck of it, a couple of recent pics I found.
    The roadster is pulling hard and the tires are just hazing a bit in 2nd gear.
    Street tires fwiw, drove around the water box as well.
    No burnouts or hops.
    [​IMG]

The rear tires, BF Goodrch 285/70R-15 on 10" x 15" wheels.
    30" in diameter.
    [​IMG]

30. customcory

customcory