Register now to get rid of these ads!

radius fender wells on a 53 chevy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrodwagon, Mar 18, 2008.

1. hotrodwagon

hotrodwagon

I'm wanting to do this to my chevy and would like to know some tips on how to do it.

2. chopd54

chopd54

Do you mean putting a little flare around the wheel opening, if so I would like to know the same thing. Like this?

Attached Files:

3. For little ones like in the picture, bend up 3/8" steel thinwall hydraulic tubing by hand to match the contour of the fender lip, weld it all the way around, continuous on the side towards the wheelwell opening, and then fair it in with lead all around. For anything larger in diameter, bend up 3/4" or 1" thinwall tubing with an electricians hickey, weld it all around as previously, then use many 3" square peices of #20 gauge steel to fair it into the original body panels, then use lead to smooth it all in. If you use bondo and not lead, make the first one or two coats from the green fiberglass impregnated bondo to waterproof any pinholes, then use the lighter air entrained bondo for final finishing. I did a thousand of 'em back in the seventies.

4. hotrodwagon

hotrodwagon

not really but that is very cool.I'm tlakin about the rear to get so meats under there.

5. Montechris

Montechris

6. chopd54

chopd54

Sorry didnt mean to jack your thread then, lol. At least I found out what I needed to know...

7. Kurt

Kurt

Just mini-tub it. Don't cut the fenders.

8. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

I believe the ones pictured are the fender lip off of a 55 chevy or a tri 5 if I am remembering correctly.