Register now to get rid of these ads!

Best places to sell cars???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sloppyseconds, Mar 16, 2008.

1. Sloppyseconds

Sloppyseconds
    from Pasadena

Was wondering where all you guys sell cars at? Ive sold alot of cars but it usually takes awhile for me. Where have you had the best luck? And hwere has been the least amount of hastle? High priced cars are alittle harder to sell and thats the problem I have...any help out there would be great!

2. Ruff T

Ruff T
    BANNED
    from NJ

I like cars-on-line.com. I think its $45 and the ad stays until it sells. I sold 3 cars on there. Ebay isn't too bad but there are a lot of people who will jerk you around. They win the auction and then don't follow through. I had a guy back out of a Mustang I sold on Ebay. Then I relisted it and a local guy looked at the car and made a good offer.

3. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

You'll get what it's honestly worth on ebay, but there are lotsa flakes on the bay.Structure your sale so you can eliminate them.

4. old dirt tracker

old dirt tracker
    from phoenix

year ago when i was in business i ran across article that stated 75% of cars sold within 50 miles. this cause me to rethink my advertising. i also had a parts customer (for used muscle cars and parts) that told me he could sell to any one that could drive to his store and back in one day, beyond that there wasnt much business.

5. lostsouldaddyo

lostsouldaddyo
    from Lompoc, Ca

If your trying to stay away from auction site then craigslist always works for me. just make sure to post it in a lot of different cities around you to get a better bite and you also have to have seperate emails per listing so i just went to gmail and made up a bunch of different email addys that had to do with the car so it would be easy to remember and you can dump them after the car sells.

6. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You could try the HAMB classifieds too :)

7. Hyfire

Hyfire

High dollar cars have to be sold on Ebay. It is the best way to quickly sell it and get top dollar. I have used cars-on-line too, but you get more tire kickers than you do with ebay.

Hyfire

8. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

autotrader for me. runs till it sells. ebay blows for selling cars..

9. chop509

chop509

10. The whole internet selling thing is kind of in-flux right now.

eBay is good for rare or expensive cars, but the cheapest listing on eBay costs $40 to list, a reserve is $5, and if it gets bids or clears the reserve they charge you another $50. If the winner flakes out you can get the $50 back but it takes 7-14 days from when you start the process. eBay has been changing, and they keep making it harder and harder to sell and easier and easier for deadbeats and scammers to get away with things.

And with all the scam sellers and clone auctions on eBay, the same car listed 4 times in a row will get bid lower every time. People won't bid because they'll assume the relist is a clone, some other scam, or something is seriously wrong with the car. You can be out money in a hurry, the last one I listed is an O/T car but in three listings I had one flake who won 5 cars in 5 different states to the tune of about $10,000 - in about 7 days. The second guy bid three days before the end, then tells me it's too rusty and he doesn't want it (why didn't you look at the pictures before you bid, asshole?). The last guy bid just to be a jerk, he didn't answer any emails or the phone, but sure answered the unpaid item dispute in less than 24 hours.

Craigslist has been dead as a dodo for me, no luck at all there.

I looked at Onlineauction.com and I saw what looked like crappy cars bringing good money there. It's a lot cheaper to sell - for what one eBay car auction costs you can have unlimited listings there for a full year ($8 a month) - and buyers have to go through a verification process to bid on anything over $1000. Of all the sites I looked at it seemed to be the only one with any action going. Ioffer.com and ePier.com are also auction sites and you can list cars for free, but I didn't see where they were selling very well either.

I may move my eBay store to eCrater.com, it looks like I can keep the format more or less the same there, but it's not a good site for a one time sale.

By the way, don't overlook the HAMB classifieds. They're free. If you sell it there send a few bucks Ryan's way for using the space.

11. MattGergeni

MattGergeni

We've dumped a bunch of time, effort and money into a totally new Classified Ad system at OldCarsWeekly.com. The new system is set to go live tomorrow (3/18) around noon. The new system will let you send the seller offers and is totally searchable, plus it will allow folks to post a ton of photos when selling their wheels. Our old platform's time had come and gone. Feel free to check it out if you like.

Matt

12. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

EBay works the best for me .I have sold and bought many times .Sold my last two projects for very reasonable money .I put my bottom dollar and let it ride .Screw reserve gives tire kickers a chance to play they bid with no intentions of buying .Bid to Win

13. monzadood

monzadood
    BANNED

craigslist has been awesome for me.

14. 32to40

32to40

Your not selling your A two months after you finished it are you?