Register now to get rid of these ads!

TECH - Lincoln-Zephyr OD install

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NoSurf, Mar 2, 2008.

1. NoSurf

NoSurf

So- here is what I have been currently working on with my coupe. In between moving loads of tree limbs broken off my trees from the ice-storm in Dec., I have shifted gears from rebuilding the 59L to getting the Lincoln-Zephyr trans installed.

[​IMG]

My trans crossmember from before was a 2x4 tube, with a notch recessed in the center ala Pierson Bros coupe. But with the OD, that crossmember isn't going to work. The overdrive is about 12" longer and has threaded holes to accept the rubber isolation trans mount. (My hotrod is built for comfort first and foremost, so I want to keep the rubber mount.)

[​IMG]

Another problem is the OD soleniod, which happens to unfortunately line right up with the old crossmember and pedal assembly. So I had to clearance the master cylinder bracket and trim a little from the pedal mount bracket.

[​IMG]

There you can see the trans mount that I will have to build a bracket to sling underneath and weld to the old crossmember- which is integral to my pedal and mc assy. I checked the Shpeedway catalog and I guess the Lincoln-Zephyr od trans to model A coupe with AA frame crossmember was out of stock.

[​IMG]

There is the od soleniod nestled in its new home.

So I need to do some more fabricatin'. Just a quicky update for those following along with the rebuild.

2. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Interesting. I'd like to make a few comments if you don't mind.

We both know flat black and red oxide are out for rat rods in '08, but do you think you might be trying a bit too hard by going with a hot pink transmission? Look at my quarter panel. A bit "wacky" with the Aunt Norma's Quilting Bee appearance but still gives a nod to traditional rat rodding with the burned paint I left around my tack welds. (no apologies to Tman and hatch)

And the self portrait? I think mildly startled or "crazed" is officially on the way out. So go with a look that says, "Hey there, check out my MySpace page." And throw something crazy in the mix. A bitchin' hat... handlebar mustache. Get creative. Keep it fresh.

You're my friend and I don't want you to lose interest in this. So try not to get too sidetracked with how things should be mounted or fit and work together.

Attached Files:

3. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Serious though. Looks good so far. Keep this thread going. I have the same transmission and have been wondering how it will all fit together.

The solenoid could be a problem but it looks workable from what I can make out in the photos. I'm interested to see how the solenoid actually works. All I've done is monkey around with it on my workbench - wasn't installed on my transmission.

4. dammit kevin.. the picture that would be perfect in b&w french film noir style and you dig out the kodachrome.

looks good jay! spooky, but good.

5. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Great thread.
    And Kev.... you look like some WWII Flying Fortress mechanic stationed in England longing for home and your hotrod.

6. What are your plans for the side shifter arrangment? Are you going to convert to a floor shift? If so, how?

7. NoSurf

NoSurf

I was running a '47 trans with side shift before, and using the column shifter. I am going to stick with that if I can. With the Weiand heads being so tall compared to the stockers- I will have to do some reworking of the bottom column shift mount/bracket.

8. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Gotta keep the column shift. I took Jay's car for a spin around my neighborhood one time and it ruled. Seriously considering it for my coupe.

Looking at the stock mount for that transmission and wondering if you could make something a little cleaner with some tubing and a few of those urethane rod end bushings or something? That stock thing looks like hell. Maybe make an "L" bracket solid from the trans to a typical biscuit mount. Don't know what you have planned - just tossing ideas.

9. I think it is more magenta than hot pink?

10. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

jay- i think you might be a couple years ahead of the curve with the paint scheme. but i have to disagree with kevin on the choice of facial hair. if i learned one thing when i was growing up it was, "never trust a man with a mustache," so i have to approve of your version of the self portrait. keep in mind though that this should in no nay be construed as a compliment. we couldn't have that.

i am curious to find out actual hot rod related information regarding this project though. so keep me in the loop.

11. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You still haven't mounted that thing!!?? ;):D I was wondering what happened to that transmission. Keep me posted kevin!

12. Rusty

Rusty

Cool, I see 80 mph cruises in the future. Gonna be ready to come to Austin?

13. NoSurf

NoSurf

It would be nice to not have to be topped out at 70-75 mph, LOL.:D

Unfortunately- I don't think I will be attending the Roundup this year.:(

14. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Whoever designed the solenoid placement on thos things did not like Fords...
    The stock Lincolm mounts you have can be re-rubbered by a guy who advertises on the LZ site.
    If you took a piece of angle iron and notched out the vertical considerably, you could bolt that onto the lower bolts fastening OD adaptor to trans...that would allow use of a simple mount like generic '60's-70's GM to a crossmember welded lower on stumps of old crossmember.

15. hiboy32

hiboy32
    from Omaha, NE

I am glad to see the progress. How is the flatty rebuild going?

16. NoSurf

NoSurf

After I get this trans stuff sorted out and a couple other things re-engineered- I will take the block and crank in for machine work.

I need to check on the napa paint # I used for the trans LOL.

17. hiboy32

hiboy32
    from Omaha, NE

That is a good idea.

18. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

no real need to check the paint # jay, just go get more and incorporate the color into some scallops on the cowl...:)

19. NoSurf

NoSurf

Ok- here is what I got done today.

I decided I didn't like the stock Zephyr trans mount- not because it's ugly, but because I didn't like how if I went back to where I had the previous crossmember, I would be loading the crossmember off axis. I like to simplify the load path when I can. After some discussions with Kevin- I decided to go ahead and make a new crossmember with some brackets.

So this morning I was out in the shop around 5am, and thought, "what would Sellers do?" HAHA. I came up with these nifty brackets made from 1/4" plate in an "L" shape. Then attached some side gussetts out of 3/16" plate. Some cool holes and "polishing" with 30, 50 then red Scotchbrite.

[​IMG]

I used some 1/4" rubber belting from a quarry conveyor for vibration isolation. The crossmember is 1"x2"x.125 steel.

[​IMG]

It took me about 4 hours to make the first bracket, then 2 hours to make the second one, LOL.

View from above:

[​IMG]

At the ends of the crossmember I welded on some L 1"x2"x3/16" brackets to sit on the bottom of the AA framerails.

[​IMG]

My welds came out ok, strength wise. This one is the ugliest. (Where's Mr. James when you need some good welding tech?:D)

By the way, the tranny color is Krylon RTA9221 Burgundy Wine, LMAO:):D:)

20. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

That looks great man. Way better than the OG/LZ stuff ever could.

Funny: I was at the theatre getting ready to watch "Horton Hears a Who" and got your picture. Took a quick look at the phone and thought, "Why would Jay send me a pic from Seller's site?... oh - movie is starting." :D

21. tr12

tr12

i think this is a fine example of an informational and useful tech article
    keep on keppin on!
    Troy

22. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

Cool tranny mounts Jay. Good job. One more thing. I never knew Kevin Lee looked like that. Scary dude, looks depressed. Might need some milk of magnesia or something.

Attached Files:

23. surferfletch

surferfletch
    from FL

You had a much more productive day than me! Looks good. Didn't they teach you to weld better in Vo-Ag? I'm getting in touch with Carla!

NoSurf likes this.
  24. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

25. ALindustrial

ALindustrial

everything looks great on that transmission install :D i personally like that color you choosed... its classy

26. NoSurf

NoSurf

Thanks guys.

27. dont let kevin lee or tman get you down on the color , the color is mauve
    scares the fuck out of me that i know that!!:D
    looks great nosurf..

28. cuzzindeke

cuzzindeke

Your one of my IDOL's good job Nosurf.

29. hiboy32

hiboy32
    from Omaha, NE

looks good. I see that WE are stepping up the fab work on OUR cars. Not only do you have to beat me at the drags you have do it looking like Sellers did it! I think the pink looks good , on your tranny.

jeff

30. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

it IS a very SEXY bracket. i like how simple the whole thing looks now that it's coming together. especially the bracket ends. very minimalist.

have you been taking lessons from ellsworth kelly?