Register now to get rid of these ads!

best way to test alternator

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 51Hg, Mar 17, 2008.

1. 51Hg

51Hg

Just had to replace a starter and a battery. took the starter to autozone and had it tested, didn't even spin so I know it was bad. installed new starter and still wouldn't turn. the new starter wouldn't work because of a dead battery. had the battery tested and the machine said good but low charge.
    so I got a new battery anyway. put the new battery in and it fired right up. I didn't run it long because I didn't know if it was running off the battery or not.

is it as simple as disconnecting the battery with the car running, and if the car dies then it is a bad alternator.

I was told you shouldn't do this by an old timmer because it could mess up a good alternator.

I don't want to kill my new battery, but I need to know before I cruze it again.

2. BJR

BJR

Low tech way, with the motor running stick a screwdriver to the back center of the alternator. If it sticks good it's putting out a charge, no stick no charge.

3. Put a multi-meter (volts) on the battery while running. Getting 13.5 volts or so indicates it's charging.

Tony

4. 47bob

47bob

While its running attach a volt meter to the large terminal on the rear of the alternator and ground the minus lead from the meter(probably black in color) to ground

5. JDHolmes

JDHolmes
    from Spring TX

Another low tech way is to start the car, disconnect the positive battery cable, then turn on the lights. If the car dies, alternator is bad. (Alt supplies power and without battery +, no power = car off)

6. 51Hg

51Hg

I did this, and while running it had 14.45 volts so I believe its charging. thanks, I completely had a brain fart and after reading this I said you dummy I know this.

it's been awhile since I've had battery problems.

thank you and thank the hamb!!!!

7. mustangsix

mustangsix

Voltage at idle can be a bad indicator. Alternators can also fail by overcharging and destroying batteries.

8. Bort62

Bort62
    BANNED

That would typically be the fault of the voltage regulator, not the alt itself.

Voltage at idle is a good indicator of general condition, IMO.