Register now to get rid of these ads!

Mother sells Mastodon Skeleton so son can build "hot rod cars" in garage...amazing!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by xxwelderxx, Mar 15, 2008.

1. Gepetto

Gepetto
    from Orange

I read that when I turned on the internet. He probably wants to build a sweet hot rod with flat black paint and red wheels and white wall tires. Every one that I know who has a Mastodon skeleton in their garage wants to build. What the fuck? A prehistoric skeleton in the garage.

2. DIRTYBIRD

DIRTYBIRD

Damn! Now If I could only convince my wife to sell Godzilla's nut sack to free up my garage for a Ratrod.

3. Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeet, everyone "claims" to have a hot rod in the garage,,,, but how many can claim THAT???? Of course on the flip side, you can't ride it and how many chicks are impressed with "hey wanna come over and check out my moms mastadon?"

4. DIRTYBIRD

DIRTYBIRD

Ha ha ha ha ha!!!!

5. beetlejuice55

beetlejuice55

i've got a snuffle-upagus skeleton.

6. Fidget

Fidget

That is freaking weird

7. Shoprag

Shoprag

I would use the skeleton for my shifter knob. LOL (57,000 lbs)

8. 60'shotrod

60'shotrod

Very GOOD band Mastodon, caught them supporting Tool a couple of years ago. Didn't know they lived in that nice ladies garage though!!!
    Wonder how they feel about being sold to build HOT RODS!!!!!!!!

Attached Files:

9. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I love how the museum guy says they should donate it to a museum. A museum that will most likely charge people to see it. Classic.

My question is, who decides to keep a mastadon skeleton at their home anyway? Only in California!:D

10. ...so if I decide to sell all my hot rod and custom cars to make room for a mastodon, will a HotRod museum say I should donate all my stuff because its part of our HotRod heritage?

11. dart165

dart165

Jesus, thats almost as weird as the story in the news lately about the chick who sat on her boyfriends toilet for 2 years until they had to come and hospitalize her to surgically remove the seat from her ass. What the hell is going on with people lately? a mastodon?

12. vivalahotrod

vivalahotrod

The kid should atleast keep the skull. Then he could build a chassis around it and be really old school...

13. wsdad

wsdad

I'm going to clean out my garage and see what I can find to sell!!!

14. timbo

timbo
    from PA

I have a skelton of the very rare lesbian dino.....it's a lickalotapuss...

15. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

I keep all of my skeletons in the closet.

16. 41woodie

41woodie

The paleontologist who thinks they should donate the skeleton, should show what he's made of by buying it off eBay then HE can donate it wherever he wants. He's pretty free with other peoples money.

17. MIKE47

MIKE47
    from new jersey

No doubt! And what do those A-holes make anyway? Like 6 figures a yr.? At least. And for what? to put on a wide brim hat and dust rocks off with a paint brush. Or stand around and have volunteers do the dusting while they see if they can guess where to dig next. Sound like a BS job to me. I should've been one of those.

18. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

snuffle-upagus rocks! Mastodon, I do that before I go to bed...................

19. lostsouldaddyo

lostsouldaddyo
    from Lompoc, Ca

Thats some crazy shit right there! Im from Cali and all I have is an old Bird in my garage.

20. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

I'm listening to "T Rex" right now!!!

21. thirty7slammed

thirty7slammed
    BANNED
    from earth

Pretty funny. :D

22. Silent_Orchestra

Silent_Orchestra
    BANNED
    from Omaha, NE

Man, mastodons are taller than my '73 Impala...It's ok though Donks are becoming rarer than mastadon skeletons anyway.

23. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

I saw that on the local news last week about that. They didn't mention the hotrod part. They did say she was looking to get around $800K or something crazy like that. $800K could build a REALLY nice hotrod. Even $115K would build a really nice one. Of course, she didn't say her son was getting any of the money - just the space.

24. Chad s

Chad s

25. There would also be a HUGE possability the museum would just sell it even if it was donated. It is fairly common practice for museums to sell parts of their "collections" to fund the museum. My friends grandfather was going to donate some of his WWI stuff until they refused to agree not to ever sell it. It is now "on loan" to them.

26. Stickanddice

Stickanddice
    from Boston, MA

Yep, they make molds and sell off the real thing unless the museum is very well funded (very few are).

Paleontologists make crap btw, someone speculated 6 figures. Most of the time that is far from what they make. Their salaries are dictated by donations and grants. So while some do make decent money, most make very little and their love for what they do keeps them doing what they do.

Not one myself, but my family has donated (and now I do) a lot of money to several museums from art to natural history and curators and directors freely discuss how money is allocated. If the amount is right you actually have a very strong say in where you want every cent to go.

I think what the guy in the article is trying to say is that the skeleton will not fetch near the amount of money the family hopes to get. So donate it to the museum and get a very hefty tax break (the donation valuation can be much much higher than the actual market value) and in that way profit. Not at all unusual practice.

The poster I put in quotes is absolutely right about the WWI stuff. That's why when you go to certain museums you see little plaques that say that the item is on loan from someone.

I believe museums are a very important part of culture and deserve the money. You would be surprised how difficult a job it is for some of these people to raise money.

If I had the thing, would I sell it on eBay? Probably not, but I can't exactly fault them for trying. After all, it has already been in exhibit somewhere already. Now if it was a complete T-Rex...that's a different story.

27. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Sometimes the ignorance on this board amazes me... 6 figures, lmao...
    hate to say it buddy but you probably made better money working at those dealerships...

yep... the ones I know do it all for the love of it...

28. lostn51

lostn51
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Tennessee

that beats everything ive seen!!