Register now to get rid of these ads!

California emssions comming to Minnesota

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sho1off, Mar 15, 2008.

1. sho1off

sho1off
    from Buffalo MN

been trying to find out exactly what that means and no one at the capitol or in California can answer the question.

What they do know is that if you have a car that has a motor in it that is less than 30 years old, before you can sell the car it must be brought up to the emissions standards of the engine when it was new regardless of the year of the car.

Example. 37 ford has a crate motor in it. 2006, before I could sell that car I would have to have catalytic converters and the car tested to meet the standards of that engine the year it was manufactured.

2. sho1off

sho1off
    from Buffalo MN

I guess Im looking for Cal guys to give me some info. Is that for real? Catalytic converters on street rods with Crate Motors?

3. I know here in Ontario the emisson police go by the year of the motor to determine what should be on the car to meet requirements. Good luck in Minnesota.

4. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

In California it does not matter what year engine you have in your car, if the car is pre 1976 (may have changed) then you don't have to smog it, nor will you, have to have, a catalytic converter. 2006 engine, in a pre 76 car = no problems here.
    That is as long as your vehicle wasnt registered, "special construction", and has a 76 and newer title.

5. ratrodrodder

ratrodrodder
    from Boston

I'm all for emissions testing on new/newer cars, but hot rods? Gimme a break!

6. Yes, that's how the law reads. But in reality, no one at the DMV ever checks engine numbers, I doubt any of them know how.

How many times have you been pulled over, and the cop checks under your hood for the proper emissions equipment?

The only way you would get busted for it is if someone reported you, and the person they complained to at the DMV actually gave enough of a shit to investigate.

In addition, our cars are too old anyway, in California right now 1975 and earlier cars are smog exempt. They don't even need to be smogged when ownership is changed.

7. noboD

noboD

If the car is titled as a 2006? Why? It should be a '37.

8. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

Do you have a link to more information on this? I haven't heard anything....

I went to the SEMA website and found a couple Minnesota legislative bills about matching California emissions, and then went to the state website and looked them up. I'm not an expert at legalese, but from what I can tell it appears the legislation will only apply to new vehicles sold after 2012.

9. sho1off

sho1off
    from Buffalo MN

The bills are House File number 863

hf863 Senate File # 481 s481

http://www.leg.state.mn.us/leg/legis.asp

10. sho1off

sho1off
    from Buffalo MN

As the law states it would be a 37 with a 2006 motor and the cal law is the motor has to meet emisions of a 2006 motor. I would think all kit cars would come under this also. I was just using the 37 as an example of what a problem this law would be for our hobby if they go by motor year in an older car

What they do know is that if you have a car that has a motor in it that is less than 30 years old, before you can sell the car it must be brought up to the emissions standards of the engine when it was new regardless of the year of the car.

11. titus

titus

i dont see it passing, we had emissions before and that didnt last because the effects were un noticalble, and the rules at that time were pre 1973 (or what ever the year was) didnt have to take emissions, and anything newer with a 73 and older motor didnt have to pass emissions either.

but like i said, i dont see it going through.

jeff

12. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

Yeah, that's the one I was reading. It says at the end, "The rules under section 1 must be adopted and made effective by September 30, 2008, and shall be effective for motor vehicles with a model year of 2012 and later," so I would think that means it will only apply to new cars.

Doesn't the MSRA have people who keep track of pending legislation that would affect car enthusiasts? I wonder if it would be worth sending them an email, asking them if they are watching this one.

13. sho1off

sho1off
    from Buffalo MN

hi Jeff
    just ask towaholic how fast a bill might pass. there was a towing bill that one of the authors said was dead this year and it was tacked on to a new bill. The way things are going in minnesota the tree huggers never let up. we are the only state that has a ethanol mandate. we have a gov that wants to increase it to 20% ethanol. we lost our premium gas for a year after the first mandate thanks to the hard work of MSRA we got a reprieve for old cars for non ethanol premium. we have to keep our guard up to keep our hobby going join SEMA keep a close watch Dont trust the government to do the right thing most of them are former lawyers not car guys

14. sho1off

sho1off
    from Buffalo MN

It also says to follow califorina emission rules (what ever they are)

15. RodStRace

RodStRace

The stuff you want to search for will be under the Air Resources Board for California (or CARB). There will be enough to make your eyes bleed, but here's the basics:
    Pre-1955 cars are not required to have any smog exquipment or be tested.
    Got a real 1937 Ford? have at it.
    Pre-1965 vehicles only have to have crankcase vent as originally equipped.
    No testing, no one is going to bother you.
    1965-1970 had various stuff. Could be just PCV, some had more (chevy 4 speeds with open air cleaners had air pumps here). There are books that detail the exact stuff. These do not have to be tested, BUT you cannot alter them (wink, wink). These years also had retrofit NOx kits. If the car has NO indication of having one, you don't have to put one on. If it has signs of having one, you must reinstall. I think you can figure out what to do there.
    1971-1975 Same deal as 65-70, except no retrofit. No testing, they don't check 'em. If you get caught with a tunnel ram sticking out of the hood by a STATE official, you can be fined and are required to put it back to stock. The local cops aren't going to have the training or info required to do curbside inspections, but there are special cases, more later....
    1976-current. Must have equipment as it left the factory, or approved aftermarket parts. Checked every sale and also every 2 years. Engine changes that degrade the emissions are not allowed (no earlier engine in a late vehicle). Engine changes that go up must have all the newer stuff (that tuned port in the 78 vette must have ALL the stuff it had, including evap and cats). these also must go to a special "referee" station.
    You can't put a truck engine in a car (less required on the truck). You can't do anything that has less is the simple way to think about it.
    Now, a kit car, special construction, or other rod that has a title that has a YEAR that follows the above (say a 1978 Shay), will have to meet that year's requirements. That's why Boyd (and others) got in trouble. They were building a car from the ground up, and titling it as a 1932. No 32 body, no 32 frame.

Okay, so you have a 85 chevy pickup that you swapped the motor in years ago. Are they going to break down your door and shove a shotgtun in your face? No. Find out (book or underhood sticker or both) what it had, and put all that stuff back. If you look legal and it passes, I really doubt the tech is going to run the casting numbers on that 350. If you show up with a serious lope, a big block with no air cleaner on the dominator, and a sticker and VIN that shows a 350, they are going to document every little thing. Word to the wise, okay? Just like you don't walk into the police station naked, puffing on a joint, don't go in being felony stupid.....

Also, they have gone after weekend gatherings (AKA street races) with special enforcement officers. These are NOT police, but are smog pros. They can open your hood and know what's up. This is pretty darn rare, but it happens. A guy's car got confiscated because he had a tall deck windsor in his late model Mustang (the guy knew the distance between the heads at the intake and checked!)

California also has other very limited stuff like remote monitors. These are machines that sit on the side of the road and when something dirty goes by, it documents it and sends a letter. They also have curbside checks. Just like sobriety checkpoints, they block off a street and run checks.

Here is the ARB
    http://www.arb.ca.gov/homepage.htm

Here is the Bureau of Auto Repair that is responsible for enforcing it.
    This is a basic page covering the consumer's points. There is a lot more
    http://www.autorepair.ca.gov/StdPage.asp?Body=/Smogcheck/doineed.htm

16. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

The thing is, there's no emissions testing (or any inspection at all for that matter) in Minnesota. They did have emissions testing for a few years back in the 1990s but folded up the program years ago. Unless they're going to reinstate testing, I don't know how they'd find out what engine was in the car.

17. sho1off

sho1off
    from Buffalo MN

The Minnesota legislators introduce 2000 to 4000 bills,laws, every two years {God only needed 10} the largest employer in minnesota is the government and its growing. could always start inspections again if we don't keep watch.
    Support SEMA and others

18. A Boner

A Boner

Better join SEMASAN...... sema action network.....It is free

19. titus

titus

No i understand it can go fast, usually there are quit a few msra members on it so hopefully they are on it!

with our luck it will pass!

jeff

20. towaholic

towaholic
    from Rogers, mn

Cripes!!!!!!!! If they aren't after my business there after my hobby!!!!

I have been at the capitol for 4 years straight for issues concerning my business. They are really starting to reconize me and I have a good idea of the process. (most you grown men would vomit with how these things go down. It's BAAADDD!!!) I am more than willing to testify AGAIN if it comes to it. Let me know.

21. 2002p51

2002p51

The thing you have to remember about California smog laws is that they are more about generating revenue for the state than they are about clean air.

The state gets money issuing licenses to inspection stations and a big chunk of the fee you pay to be inspected.

The more cars being inspected, the more revenue. The legislators see our hobby as an untapped resource.

Follow the money.

22. Jalopy Jim

Jalopy Jim

Time to bring Jesse back.

23. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

If you have not heard of it, do a search here for info on a newly proposed bill here in Cali: Legislation (S.B. 1549) introduced to repeal the State's current emission's test exemption for pre-1976 vehicles.
    Also on SEMA site