Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rear Spring

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HH Derrick, Mar 14, 2008.

1. HH Derrick

HH Derrick

I have a rear end out of a Chevy S-10 and an original 1940 Ford Rear Leaf Spring. I will weld the brackets I got from speedway to the rear end to hold the spring. The question I have is what is the best way to spread the leaf spring to get on the brackets? Is there a tool or just a tried and true way of doing it?

2. len_m

len_m
    from wpg,can

take the spring apart, and attach the main leaf, then just add the rest of the spring one at a time. put a big bolt down the center to keep it in line, use lots of clamps in case one lets go, take your time. once its completely compressed remove long bolt and replace with shorter one. attach spring to car and voila!:)

3. Yes, there is such a thing as a spring spreader, easy to make but companies such as Snyders sell them. I made one, lots of info in the archives here.

4. 201

The May,2008 STREET RODDER mag on page 212 has a discription of what you might need. The only thing that they ommited was that one side of the turn-buckle has to have left handed threads or it won't expand or contract anything!
    Maby get a beefy turn-buckel assembly and weld on length extensions to one side.

5. Andy

Andy

Port-a-power.
    After welding, put the tires on it and block them from rolling. Turn the whole rear end over and over an look to see if the wheels wobble. The only thing that will make the wheels wobble is a bent housing.

6. HH Derrick

HH Derrick

thanks, I think I will go the route of putting the long spring on then putting the others back together. I value my head and Im not in to much of a hurry.