Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone live in Hawaii?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by novatattoo, Mar 13, 2008.

1. novatattoo

novatattoo
    from Canton,OH

I'll be be island hopping starting Sunday. Any cruise nights?

later, Bill

2. crb

crb
    from socal

3. 60'coupe

60'coupe

novatattoo, I'm really glad that you asked for this info, my wife and I will be in Hawaii next month and I was hoping to check out some cars too !!
    crb thanks for the web-site !
    Rob

4. bmc

bmc
    from Sacto.,Ca.

Just moved back from there 1 1/2 weeks ago after living in Honolulu for 6 years. Depending on which island your visiting the car scene is pretty weak. Dragstrip on Oahu shut down some time ago. My suggestion is to enjoy the surf & check out North Shore if its going off.

5. Aloha folks I am on the Hilo side of the big island. If you are going to be on the big island I would be glad to give you the tour. The only cruise night here is the first saturday of every month. Feel free to pm or email me ,I have lived on all the islands so I can give some advice on all the islands.

6. Adam F

Adam F

I was in Hawaii ( Honolulu) for my honey-moon in early December 2005. Caught the annual charity toy run down the main strip. Some pretty cool rides.

Also spotted some nice woodies / galaxies / etc up on the North Shore.

Mahalo

Adam F

7. rustfarmer

rustfarmer
    from Hawaii

I agree with BMC forget the cars and enjoy the islands and surf!

8. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

I'v got a house on the big island. My Mom's got one on Maui, and my X-wife's cousin runs a B&B on Kauaii.... Believe me, there's no "street scene" except for a handfull of punk ricers... Not all of 'em are bad, but quire a few of 'em could use a good ass-kicking.

You may very well see a fine restored classic, but your more than likely to see a Rolls or a Ferrari. North shore on Oahu seems to have more classic iron to go with the "surfer" theme, but trust me, just rich folks [kids] trying to "walk the walk"... Not HAMB material.

Take my advice, forget about cars for a few days and just soak up paradise! And hook up with Hilo Hotrodder because Hawaii can be much more fun if you can "go local".

Hey Hilo Hotrodder,
    was the closing of the dragstrip linked to the "Humane Society Tragedy" a few years ago? I remember hearing somewhere that the "punk" element that congrigated at the strip was suspected of the crime.

9. novatattoo

novatattoo
    from Canton,OH

Any chance of getting cheap beat up surfboards? Age not important. Cuz ya know........ we surf in Ohio! Not! But would like one to hang in the garage.

later,Bill

10. Lucky444

Lucky444

11. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Bill,
    Unless you are an experience surfboarder, I would advise you not to go surfing. Many people have died in those currents. Everyday. My wife and I went last year and a native there talked to us about it. He was a certified emergency response diver and lifeguard. He scared us to death.
    Fun stuff next...
    Do not miss this. It is liturally one of the most beautiful drives in the islands.
    When you go to Maui... do not take the Road to Hanna. Yes its nice but too long (4 hrs one way) and boring compared to this drive.
    Instead take the Northern route on RT 30.
    Be sure you pick a crystal clear day and rent a jeep. Be prepared to drive on one lane roads along the cliffs. It is the most beautiful drive we have ever seen.
    Take a snorkel outfit with you. There are plenty of places to stop and snorkel along the way. Have fun!!
    I won't tell you about the nude beaches.

Attached Files:

12. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Just like anything else, surfing is safe if you know your limits. And if you've never done it before, jumping into the big waves on the North Shore or Jaws could have unpleasant consequences and get you killed pretty quick. There are plenty of surf shops where you can rent a beginner board and get lessons. They are worth every penny. I learned to surf in SoCal, so getting to surf in Hawaii was a no brainer. But I kept to manageable waves for my skill level. Which isn't very high with me living in the midwest. But it is fun. There was more than one occaision in Maui, sitting on my board looking towards the island where I was more than ready to trade all my hot rods for a board... even on the days where I didn't get a single wave. Hawaii is heaven on earth. Or at least the United States. :)

13. 1931S/X

1931S/X
    from nj

we were on maui in may 06, there was a drag even the week after we were there some old time drags type of deal. i kept wondering where all the cars would come from as i only saw about 3 older cars. one night there was a little gathering of a few car guys at some drug store i went to. any way i wanted to cruise that route but my wife talked me out of it after reading the map that came in our rental car that area was all highlighted and said you void your rental agreement if you travel that route. i heard it was one lane along the cliffs and what not, sounded cool but she made me chicken out. we did hanna which i thought was great. lots to see.
    i wanted to go that way but my wife talked me out of it

14. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

All man, you really missed out. It was the most beautiful drive that I will ever see in my lifetime..
    Bill, dont let your wife talk you out of this...
    We usually only get to take trips like this once in our lifetimes.
    the loss of a few jeeps is well worth it. :)
    Just go slow and take your time. Its an experience no one should miss.

15. Django

Django
    from Chicago

We went part of that way, but had to turn the convertible around when the road got knarly! We found some blow holes that were pretty cool.

16. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

I'll second that ,we actually drove around the whole island but split it up into 3 days I have a buddy that lives there showed us alot of cool stuff off the beaten path. I liked Maui much more than Honolulu (other than Pearl Harbor thats a must see) but the one lane road was the coolest Get a jeep and have fun!

17. derelict

derelict

I drove the "route" while I was in Maui with a broken left leg in a cast. The rental car was some econo bucket and it made the trip easily. If your there do it, well worth the time.

18. must be why i never went! guess i won't be hitting that 50th state and be happy with 49 visited!

19. hey guys forgot mention at the present time you can drive,about 1 mile from where to lava is flowing into the ocean. It changes all the time. this is the only place on the planet yoou can see that! There are a lot of cars here but not any big cruise scene.

20. Stoner

Stoner

Hey, there's always the dragstrip at Mana on Kauai! From the lights they drag out with little riding mowers at dusk to all the habachis that fire up in pickup truck beds parked along the strip, it's real grassroots racing. The track doesn't even have a board at the traps – you just have to listen for the E.T.s and MPH over the PA system.

But with a shave ice in one hand and a borrowed beer in the other, it's good times. And I think it costs $12 at the gate.

STONER

21. Silhouettes 57

Silhouettes 57

My wife and I and her sister and bro-in-law went to the big island Hawaii a few years ago and my bro-in-law and I took off for a day to see cars or what ever. Just up the road from Kona we came across a fire station and parked outside of it was a full kustom '51 Merc. We talked to the owner (he was a fire fighter) and snapped some pictures of it and if I can find out where I put them I'll post them. I did also see some st.rods down town Kona.

22. novatattoo

novatattoo
    from Canton,OH

No surfing for me! Just want a beat up board to hang in the garage. I'll be visiting the surf shops for new t shirts and stickers from the those shops for my vintage cooler. I'm not sure the wife can handle the cliffs in a jeep but it does sound like fun. However if I can rent a car and get within a mile of the lava COUNT US IN!

you guys rule!
    Later, Bill

23. 1931S/X

1931S/X
    from nj

hmm, i think we are going to go back, i might have to consider the jeep and taking the forbidden route. we had a nice big buick rental car, could drive for days and not be uncomfy, didnt regret a thing getting that car. i know the jeeps are pricey to rent though.

24. Well we just came back a week ago and we had a blast.

I love you guys that go and drive around and don't see a rod on every corner and thank there's no rods on the island. Guess there aren't any rods in all of California since I didn't see any on the street the last time I was there.

The worst thing about my trip was that I had to leave for the airport at 7 PM to catch the red eye home. So why was that the worst? Well because there were 60+ rods, customs and street machines at the Peggy Sue's cruise night and more were still pulling in. But the thing that pissed me off the most was that my plane was three hours late taking off:mad:

Oh and yes, screw the rental companies - we drove around the west end of Maui twice - once in the rental car and once on a Hog - 1st and 2nd gear the whole way and about 15-20 stops to take in the cliffs, falls, vistas - lots of roses to smell.

Dennis

PS These guys are kool to rent from and the owner was a friend of Ed Roth's in Manti:
    http://www.islandriders.com/index.html

Try these links too:

http://www.honolulustreetsmagazine.com/index.html
    http://www.mauicarshows.com/
    http://www.mrp.org/
    http://www.islandracer.com/kauai.htm
    http://www.islandracer.com/bigisland.htm
    http://www.islandracer.com/bigisland_bihra.htm

25. enjoyn

enjoyn

We were in Maui in Feb 07. We stay at the Kaanapali Beach Hotel. Came out one moring from eating at the hotels little cafe, there sat this great looking black woodie with a surfboard on top. Just miss the opening week end for there drag strip. You have a hard time to fine more friendly people in the rest of the states.

26. roadsterman32

roadsterman32
    from wi

I live there everyday, unfortunatly my body is in wisconsin

27. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Does anyone live in Hawaii?
    Is that the question, is this the truth we need to find?
    Does any one realy live? Are we truly autonomic thinking organisms?
    Maybe you should ask first, do we exist? Can it be that we are nothing more than figments of a collective cosmic conscience? Impulses of electricity in a galactic mind, skipping merrily along in the belief that we are the concept of ‘self’ and not purely a conglomeration of the whole?
    Well man, what is it? Are we or are we not?
    Then ask if we realy live.
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    PHEW…………………… them acid flashbacks………………….

28. chip

chip

the wife & i go every january, we now just go to kaui, we have friends there. (and for those of you that know kaui NO we are not in our 60's or more) we are 40, &43 but kaui is a great place to kick it down to 1st gear & just idle along, we hang on the west side where you have to check your pulse twice a day to see if you are still alive! it is so relaxing....i have a car in my shop now that belongs to my friend guy in hanapepe, kaui, it is a 54 chevy 2 door, chopped, baged, black primer'd custom. it will be there i think in less than a year....for those of you that know us, we are hard core care people, i mean that dominates our life, but when we go there, we just kick it, & take what comes along the best times are the ones unplanned...just let it happen mon!.....chip

29. chip

chip

btw check craigslist in hawaii for that board