Register now to get rid of these ads!

Clean up after stripping??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JDHolmes, Mar 13, 2008.

1. JDHolmes

JDHolmes
    from Spring TX

I have a bit of a dilemna. I've stripped the 55 wagon with 80 grit and have vacummed a lot of the dust. However, it's not nearly clean enough to shoot epoxy.

[​IMG]

My question is, how do you clean bare metal in preparation to spray without water? If I wash it down, flash rust will begin since it won't be sprayed the same day. What do you use in this situation?

many thanks

2. Dan

Dan

stripper dust has always been a problem...:)

3. 1954HCCA

1954HCCA
    from LA

I use a new clean dry rag and a pencil blower tip on the airline.Might have to do it a couple times.

4. SaltCityCustoms

SaltCityCustoms

You sell paint supplies and don't know what to wipe it down with? just use wax and grease remover or lacquer thinner, and make sure you blow out every little crack and crevice until it is clean and when you think it's clean enough blow it out again.

5. JDHolmes

JDHolmes
    from Spring TX

The stuff is all water based. I've used alcohol before. I've used thinner before. I'm curious what other folks are using. You know, bigger better idea. More health and eco friendly. Questions aren't always asked because the person asking doesn't already do something.

I've also asked this on a "pro" paint and body site also and got the "use air stupid" response. Makes no sense to me to blow tons of paint, primer, metal dust into the air and all over the shop.

6. Air then laquer thinner then wax and grease remover

7. 85-percent

85-percent

metalprep after wax and grease remover. give nice chemical tooth. dilute, wipe on small area, wipe off while still wet. Dont let dry.

-90% Jimmy

8. bisquick59

bisquick59
    from wahoo,ne

ppg 330 wax and degreaser or acetone. acetone is great. cleans very well and drys very very quick.....that is what we use on airplanes before we paint and thats on bare metal. I would really recommend acetone and alot of rags. just get a 5 gal bucket full of rags soak them in acetone and start wiping.

9. 67Imp.Wagon

67Imp.Wagon

Same method here.

10. autobodyed

autobodyed
    from shelton ct

not really a big fan of grease remover or laquer thinner on bare metal, can leave a film and loss of adheshion. acetone works great, and make sure when you blow it off, there's no water in your air lines.

11. jersey fink

jersey fink
    from jersey

i think its called final wash,,at least thats what its says on the can