Register now to get rid of these ads!

I Guess My Car Is Offically A Rat Rod Now.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by INLAW MODEL A, Mar 13, 2008.

1. Well I can finally drive my model A hot rod, so I called to add it to my collector car policy. I had to send pictures and sign that I won't drive it to work or race it yada yada. The company is based out on the east coast. I got a call back that it can only be insured for $10,000 because it is a Rat Rod and because it is not painted. I had a good laugh over that one. The lady also did not like the lack of a hood and fenders. I guess anything rusty is junk and not worth anything to 99% of the world. I don't mind the the value being @ $10k and the rate is very reasonable so I don't care, and I am not offended by the rat rod thing, so whatever. I just had to share that one. Here is what the car looks like.

Attached Files:

2. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Look at the bottom of your grille... why would you be offended? ;) :D

3. looks like a hot rod to me.....great pic as well

4. Dirty2

Dirty2

I have to agree as it being a Hot Rod if it has 3 pedals . But I would change the grill . Looks good ...

5. Ruff T

Ruff T
    BANNED
    from NJ

Did you try Grundy insurance? I insured my T-Bucket with them with no problem. I rigged some sheet metal to kind of resemble a hood but I have no fenders, roof, Radir slicks on the rear, flat black paint, and a beer keg for a gas tank. They didn't question it at all.

6. I need to fix the grille some yet. Here is a better shot. Thanks for the replies.

Attached Files:

7. Nocturnal

Nocturnal
    from CO

I definitely dig your car, the stance, the wheels...but the bare metal makes me cringe...

8. A Boner

A Boner

The bottom parts of Wisconsin cars are often missing!

9. Lucky77

Lucky77

A guy around the corner from me has an eye seering yellow 37 Ford street rod. He saw my sedan outside today and decided to stop by. He informs me "I think these rat rods are just cool as Hell." So yes, if it doesn't have paint and billet wheels it is a rat rod to 99% of the population.

10. McFly

McFly

State farm told me a similar quote. They said "what no hood? paint? and minimal interior? It's not complete. I even stressed it was painted...and that it was just old. They advised me to get an appraisal. Maybe that will work for you.
    [​IMG]

11. 99% of the population (street rodders included) will indeed regard it as a rat rod. Dont it make ya feel good to be a 1 percenter? :)

12. 7&7

7&7
    from Colorado

I guess I lucked out. My insurance guy is a car guy. He was happy I went with state farm instead of others that have been mentioned here before. He says they are a hassle when you need to make a claim. Like he said you can get in your truck and come speek to me in person if you have to. My coupe costs me about $300 a year and I can drive it when I want. Food for thought.

13. SlamCouver

SlamCouver
    from Brazil, IL

14. I'd find an insurance company that wanted to work WITH me. If they are giving you a hard time now imagine having to file a claim.

JH

15. Horsepower67

Horsepower67

Yes please. Surface rust shouldn't be your goal.

16. tire_smoking

tire_smoking

"it is a Rat Rod and because it is not painted."
    There is paint on the rims.

If someone didn't curb there wheels and ran into you. How would you repair that patina ? I ask as this just happened to me.
    Lets say you repair @ paint it . You may not be allowed to attend the Rust Rod Grand Nationals. My point is the value of your car should be from your own perspective. Not that of some auto shop flunky valuating the damage or the illegal alien on the other end of some 1-800 insure #.

17. thewishartkid

thewishartkid

I agree! Kinda looks like JUNK!

18. Lazy White Boy

Lazy White Boy

At least yours is a rod, State Farm sent me a letter calling mine a "rat car." They insured it though, blower, slicks and all.

19. fuckum , find another insurer , you ever need to file a claim you will be the fuckee..

20. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They probably suscribe to the "Duck" theory, If it looks like a duck--well you know the rest.
    I think I would be plumb happy that they insured it and send in more photos when it gets finished.
    Like Lazy White Boy I have found in the past that State Farm is pretty easy to get along with except when you have the driving record my wife does.

21. gnarlytyler

gnarlytyler

I say insure it for 10k like they will let you, find out how you gotta file a claim and make sure you got everything straight so they can't screw you, then do an insurance scam for the 10k and get another title, paint it, some nice interior and bam... you've got a new car.. haha.. fuck'm.. thats what i say..
    -Anthony

22. kustombypook

kustombypook

My ex-mother in law once told me that my car wasn't useful, it was old and rusty and why didn't I just send it to the junk yard. I told her her PUSSY was old and useless and probably rusted, so when she sent it off to the scrap pile, I would send my car too.

She didn't have too much to say after that.

23. ol'skool29

ol'skool29

awesome!! hahaha

24. PoPo

PoPo

maybe thats why she is the Ex mother in law.... Priceless!!! I like the response!!

25. Insane 1

Insane 1
    from Ennis TX

Damn man That was good I like your way of thinking!!!!!!

26. Insane 1

Insane 1
    from Ennis TX

Ok now back to the insurance, I went thriugh Haregty, (?spell?) I sent in the pics of what I use as a shop truck, and the only they asked when I was going to finish restoring it?

In my mind I'm going; ??????......restore....???????

So I said: Auh....... soon.

That was it, got My policy, and was on my way

27. HOT ROD DAVE

HOT ROD DAVE

how do i get hold of your insurance guy

28. Psychobilly351w

Psychobilly351w
    from 732- NJ

Id rattle can that bitch black and send them new pictures.

29. rab71

rab71

Can't be a rat rod...

No red wheels...:rolleyes:

30. lostn51

lostn51
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Tennessee

i would get another grille and try to throw some paint of some sorts on it and dare them to say something. when it comes time for a claim (which i hope never happens) they are going to break one off in you hard and not even give you a reach around. hell just tell them its a survivor car from the 50's and you will mess up the value if you do anything to it!