Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. racer5c

racer5c

Midget in the backround, this is now the sight of Disneyland

Attached Files:

2. Jerracer

Jerracer

Racer 5c, I really appreciate all the pics you scan and post. Keep em coming. I look forward to seeing some new eye candy everytime I log on.

3. Buildy

Buildy

Here is another of[​IMG] Don`s 1/4 scale Midgets. Some of the cars Don built in 1/4 scale had operating 1/4 Offy engines installed!

4. Buildy

Buildy

Here is Don Edmunds holding one of his 1/4 scale beauties.

[​IMG]

5. Jerracer

Jerracer

6. HUH?

HUH?

Buildy, can't thank you enough for posting the photos of Edmund's 1/4 scale masterpieces.

Does anyone remember the once popular sport of "racing" 1/4 scale (and smaller) midgets and sprints? Not RC controlled. They raced alone in a circle tethered by a guy wire to a post.

I hope someone remembers these cars or I will be feeling older than rocks!

7. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

There used to be a course over at Lunken Air Field here in Cincy (may still be there), my dad would take us over there when we were kids to watch them.. Some of those things would scoot!

8. racer5c

racer5c

Anderson Indiana had a tether car track in a city park, they race once a month

9. Buildy

Buildy

Here is a photo of the operating 1/4 scale Offy-back in 2001 they sold for $6,600.00 just for the engine.[​IMG]

10. greeno

greeno
    from Fresno,Ca.

dmunds sold the car to Milt Janzen in Reedly, Ca. Milt was getting rid of his collection so he sold it to Dave Masterman who was the restorer for Milts Indy car #22 and several of his midgets. Masterman sold all of his stuff to Dick Woodland from Paso Robles and Woodland is having the car restored. The body was in perfect shape and they are leaving the oringinal paint on it. The frame was a tube frame but not the oringinal. Masterman restored an Edminds sprinter that went with the sale. Also the Benttenhauser offset sprint went in the sale. They were beautiful cars.
    Gary

11. Buildy

Buildy

This is for Huh? Sure,there were tether cars-Wish I had some of them,they are cool! Here is one I saw on e-bay...

[​IMG]

12. That is a beautiful set of lines on that car. Is that car still in existance?

13. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Lunkin Airport still has there track set up.. A lot of guys still have working Tether cars.

Hey Steadman29... get Kyle to post some pics of his. I did the paint work on one.

Roy... great Shots!!!

That goes for everyone else too.

Thanks,
    Joshua Shaw

14. 29 sedanman

29 sedanman
    from Indy

I may have pictures of it at home. I will look and see and get Kyle to if I dont have any.

15. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Heres some Tether cars.. (as with the post though.. ONLY PRE 69' sprints, midgets, champs and indy cars.. Thanks)

This first car is unreal... the wires? and, who ever lettered it is a STUD!!! (a stud with a BIG magnifying glass! Ha Ha)

[​IMG]

This is the more comon type..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Buildy

Buildy

"That is a beautiful set of lines on that car. Is that car still in existance?"

Lesovsky really was a Master Craftsman.

I was wondering the same thing-is that car still around? <!-- / message -->

17. Buildy

Buildy

Now you guys got me collecting photos and info on tether cars-LOL

http://www.tethercar.net/ Here is a link to an awesome website i just found-the photos of the cars and the Vintage photos are really great!

18. racer5c

racer5c

I have no idea, I wish I knew if it was.

19. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

OFF TOPIC FOR A SEC.

Well, its last minute but... Richcraft mike and I are hosting a private party After the Cavilcade Car show TONIGHT!!! )We rented a bar out) In Cincinnati. If any of you guys wanna come down from Indy, or wherever!! call me on this number.. 513 -257 -5121 I'll fix ya up with a wrist band that gets you in and free beer. There will be Vintage racing playing on screens.

Joshua

20. HUH?

HUH?

Joshua,

I apologize for side tracking your your great Vintage Sprint Car Pic thread with tether cars.

Thanks for all of the pictures and info guys.

Sprint cars are the only thing I care about more than hot rods. I so miss the individually crafted works of art that were sprint cars, champ cars and midgets. This thread ROCKS!:D

21. Nevermind, got them in today.

22. racer5c

racer5c

care to share a picture of them with the class?

23. I'll try to get it posted. Really the deal was to send him one and I get the other. Thus I just got an autographed shirt from Don!

They have the pose from the cover of the '66 Hot Rod mag. Very nice artwork. Apparently they are from Glory Days Collectibles. They also had a Jud Larson shirt as well that I picked up. Got them at the Chili Bowl.

Action T-shirts did the work.

24. cycle midget.jpg
    How about a cycle midget for tonight.
    I'm scrap'in the bottom of my picture barrel, but can't wait to see what you guys have left.

25. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

How about some Rodger Ward.. He was a hell raiser, drinker, lady chaser, and a HELL OF A DRIVER.

I picked up his book at Detroit.. Here are some highlights..

Enjoy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We start with midgets ofcoarse..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What a line up!!
    [​IMG]

Then to sprints and big cars..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This was when MEN ran the same car at Indy ON DIRT!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I didn't know this.. Very cool.
    [​IMG]

Check out Watson with no shirt! Warm day in may..
    [​IMG]

And the most amazing picture in the book.. Look at the line up, look at the stands.. look at the cars going to the horizon!!! UNREAL!! Rodger is on the pole, How would you like to set the pace for that field at that track in front of that crowd...

[​IMG]

26. racer5c

racer5c

This just in from todays bench racers weekend, since I don't know how to link them from my flickr site and i am to lazy to resize them all here is a link to them.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/racer5c/

27. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

Well I stayed home and didnt make it to the open house at the racing museum in auburn today.. I had stuff to get done on the roadster .. maybe next year for the open house.. I will be visiting the museum soon though..
    Dave

28. McKee

McKee

Recent build using a Ray Kuns book,...tractor grill and 48 Chev pickup rear fenders for a tail.

Attached Files:

29. McKee

McKee

Mini Miller,...Crosley power.

Attached Files:

30. McKee

McKee

More from the Milwaukee Mile.

Attached Files: