Register now to get rid of these ads!

My 49 Chevy pickup project!!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PoPo, Mar 12, 2008.

1. PoPo

PoPo

Ok so I bought the white truck with every intention of M II front end and notched rear for air bags. White paint is decent condition, sprayed within the last year and pretty solid truck.
    was doing research on here about front clips vs MII and then came across this other frame with a 79 camaro clip- narrowed, and S10 rear end. Well short story while on the way to FLW in MO for the army I dropped my trailer off at this guys house after loading the frame and cab and then hauled it home 10 days later on the way back. The moon and stars lined up for that deal didnt they!

I have been home for three days and finally got to work. Well I ground down the S10 leaf brackets that were welded in the way of the running board bracket and took off the rear end, its all on its way to Sandblasting this weekend or early next week.

Once I get it back its getting 2 inch drop spindles and 4 link setup with bags at all four corners. I was considering powder coating the frame, but I think I'll just spray it in case I want to modify it later.

The motor combo will be a 5.3L Gen III from a Silverado with an Auto trans. Im going to be making the mounts for it as soon as the frame comes home.

Tell me what ya think, and sorry for the long speel about it but Im getting excited for summer.

Also where is the best place to get steel wheels and white walls? any discounts. And yes im going to join the alliance soon!!

This is when I bought the truck
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Now its in better hands... atleast a warm garage
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

thanks for your time...

PoPo

2. Keep us posted!

3. monzadood

monzadood
    BANNED

thats gonna be a good looking truck. are you going to take all the chrome trim off the red cab and use it on your white one?

4. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

5. PoPo

PoPo

Monzadood- thats gonna be a good looking truck. are you going to take all the chrome trim off the red cab and use it on your white one?

I hadnt thought about that yet. I might have to do that, hmmmm now you got me thinking.

Any other thoughts. I'd love to hear anything. This is my first big project and so far its going ok. Ill keep ya posted with new pics.

6. BOBBY FORD

BOBBY FORD

Truck looks pretty solid. Good start for a project. Keep us posted. Thanks, BOBBY FORD

7. elcornus

elcornus

Give Jason a call at early wheel co.

http://www.earlywheel.com/

8. PoPo

PoPo

I got all the front suspension pieces off now. Its going to the blaster on Monday so I can pick it back up the following monday when I get back from a military trip. Ive been having lots of those lately.

Got a quote of 200 for the frame and about 60-80 for the extra pieces im bringing to get blasted also. Is that a good deal or no. I think so.

I got a couple questions, besides the auction site where is the best place to get 1979 camaro drop spindles and what kind of paint should I use for the frame after its blasted and done welding?

9. KernCountyKid

KernCountyKid
    from Arkansas

You might should have had it powdercoated. Blasting would have been included in the price of the powdercoating.

But I'm guessing you have some welding left to do. I had my frame powdercoated, but ended up having to do some welding. I used POR15 to touch up the spots I stripped. A lot of folks complain about the cost, but 1qt of POR15 at 40$ would probably be enough paint for 2 or 3 frames. I don't think it's overkill because it looks a lot better than rattle can, lasts forever and wont chip or flake off. I've used it for the brake drums and steering parts as well, rusty and blasted.

10. 52pickup

52pickup
    from Tucson, Az

What your need to do is have the red cab painted white, and use it. Then you have a 5 window. I've never driven a three window, but I know those corner windows are great for visibility.

11. old dirt tracker

old dirt tracker
    from phoenix

that camaro is going to be a tight fit under that truck, be careful on your wheel and tire combo on the front. if the camaro clip had been installed correctly you would not need dropped spindles, take out the shocks and install a long piece of all thread and pull down the suspension untill the lower controll arms are level. this should be ride height and see what you have. you can clip the springs after the build to maintain this height.hang on to your orginal frame that must 11 may look better all the time.

12. PoPo

PoPo

The camaro front end was narrowed. and Im going for the whole dragging oil pan aspect lol. I already got the spindles too.

and the original frame, I dont plan on getting rid of that. I plan on doing that one for a separate project. That one will be a 5 window for sure. I will just started buying a nice body with a stock frame and keep switching to the built frame and then sell and redo another frame. I plan on doing this more than once.

I will be using POR- 15, sprayed on, that was my original plan. I just wanted to hear if anyone had any other ideas or niches to hear about.

Thanks for all the support guys. It'll be fun this summer when its done, Im going to try and do some long distance shows.

PoPo

13. nice build,truck looks strait and solid,nice!

14. rockabillybus

rockabillybus

Just finished my dropped spindle and front end overhaul on my camaro clip in my 51 suburban last night. I have one question about your narrowed camaro clip. Looking at the picture, it seems to have been narrowed in the center crossmember. This may cause a problem with motor mounts, replacing the centerlink, etc. Was there a motor sitting in the frame before? It might be something to check before you paint it. You may have to fab your own motor mounts.

My 205 75 R15's rub so bad right now I lost about half of my turning radius. It looks good but steers like shit. I'll have to address that today.

15. Trucked Up

Trucked Up

Cool project. Keep the photos coming as you progress.:D

16. luckyfasteddie

luckyfasteddie

Dont know what direction your going with the finished build . Here are a few pics of my 47.

Attached Files:

17. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't think you will have any big problems setting the engine except it will be tight on the exhaust manifolds or hedders.
    You will have to build the motor mounts to get the engine to set where you want it but that isn't a big deal.
    The weld job on the center steering link does scare me a bit and some states and most of Canada say NO to welded steering pieces.
    The worse part of the subframe swap is fitting the front sheet metal and with the front steer box you will have your work cut out for you there. You can end up with a real mess there if you get in a hurry. That is the one thing that I didn't like when I had a Camaro subframe under the 48. I used the early rear steering setup and didn't have to narrow it and the core support sat on the front crossmember piece with a couple of small spacers but I still had to hack up the inner fender wells to clear the control arms and part of the stub.

I'd replace that hacked up rear crossmember with a piece of rectangular tubing placed just in front of the rear bumper bracket and bed mount holes. That will clean that area up and give you room to mount the gas tank back there. I'd also check very close to make sure that they didn't weld a twist into the frame when they stubbed it.
    The sandblasting quote sounds inline with todays prices. And well worth it in the end. I'm not a huge fan of powercoating frames as you always tend to have to make some modification that screws up the power coating where you just have to repaint the area on a painted frame.

18. old dirt tracker

old dirt tracker
    from phoenix

the local companies here will sandblast and powdercoat a bare frame for 250.00 or so. thats a no brainer for me. one advantage of living in phoenix.

19. Maybe it's the angle of the photo, but that center link looks hacked, and your pitman arm and idler arm don't look parallel. If the same guy that welded the center link narrowed the clip and installed it I'd do some serious measuring and weld inspection before I spent any more money on that frame. Again, maybe it's just the pictures, but it looks like there was a reason that frame was sold.

20. PoPo

PoPo

If i switch to the rear steer what is all involved? I have never messed with steering before. I also didnt like the welded link and had plans on redoing that if need be.

I plan on making my own motor mounts, that wont be hard. I will have the complete frame done before the cab goes on for good, so I will have lots of room to mess with.

I am worried about the steering box getting in the way. I wish it was further back or something. I want power steering but its not a Must have. Do they make adjustable steering that I can put in on this frame.

I also plan on removing that rear crossmember for a new GTO gas tank to be installed, FREE. I was going to place a crossmember on each side of the tank.

There was no motor when I got the frame. I guess I have more work cut out for me, but thats why its a project and doesnt have a time frame that it has to be done by. I just wanted it done for some driving this year.

thanks guys

21. PoPo

PoPo

Ive been going through and looking for the early rear steer. I can find one for less than $50 shipped to my house. If I was to use that what would I use for the linkages? the 79 Camaro ones or buy the old ones. Since the whole thing is narrowed what should I do?

22. MercMan1951

MercMan1951

Isn't that a time frame? :D

Looks cool, keep us posted on the progress...

23. PoPo

PoPo

Haha smart a$$. well dont we all want to drive our projects as fast as we can. I meant I dont have a certain show, like opening weekend shows that it has to be done by.

PoPo

24. coopsdaddy

coopsdaddy
    from oklahoma

hey man,i looked for pics but mine are not on my dig. camra,i posted pics of mine on the hamb a while back,front steer narrowed 75 is what i used,fatman drop spindls,it will all work fine,just dont rush and tack weld everything,motor mounts will have to be moved and front sheetmetal rad.support will to be mod and bumper mount will need to be made,looks better with bumper in my opp.,sway bar on mine is out of a monte or cutlas heated and bent in just a little,it will work just set back a have a beer and mount a running board and see if you like the look,if not thats what the torch and welders for

25. PoPo

PoPo

Thats what I need. A torch and welder. yeah I always have to beg and borrow. I had saved up all my money and when I came across this truck, well I blew my savings, damn that little devil on my shoulder.

Id love to see pics Coopsdaddy, if you get them either post them or email them to me, [email protected]. I have a bunch of questions but Ill wait to see pics before asking.

PoPo

26. Stick Shift

Stick Shift
    from LENA IL

Rusty1 has done a bunch of these trucks. Sooner or later he might be jumping on this post.

Ya got to get it done for the Scrap Drive. That is in June. Get off the computer and get in the garage. :)

27. ...I'd be leary about using the clip you've got in that frame. The photo showing the narrowed clip looks bad; look at how the wheels are turned and are not parallel; ..somethins not rite there.
    .. as far as using front steer clips they do work; but only if they are located correctly on your orig. frame. If you keep the top part of the clip even with the top part of the orig. frame level they work ok; otherwise the steering box wants the same space as your radiator and core support....there's a lot more involved that I won't go into here...

...if you need any more info, PM me; I'd be glad to help.

28. PoPo

PoPo

PM sent to Rusty1.

Hopefully I can get this to work and not go back to the drawing board. And thanks for the slam about my "forgotten timeline" I really want to go to the scrap drive but if I cant I cant. It just might be a daily driver cruise it needed.

If nothing works out, Im going to use the 4 in drop axle and monoleaf, then Ill just put everything back together, im so frustrated sometimes. lol

29. PoPo

PoPo

I have been thinking all day. So what if I have the front steer, I have to modify my rad support cause of some rust damage and stuff. I might just cut the bottom off, and reweld it with outward pointing mounts toward the new frame. Im going to make this work. I dont want to start all over again.

Im dedicated to getting this on the road with this clip, we will see as I progress

30. old dirt tracker

old dirt tracker
    from phoenix

if that must 11 looking good to you yet. i could let you get a education here and at the risk of stepping on your feelings i am going to say somethings. first that frame is a pos. you can build in the drop when the frame is welded to the sub but stepping it like z,ing a frame. but i dont see that was done here. that narrow deal only leads to more issues like breaking you right leg to match your broken left leg. next the rear steer and front steer have nothing that will interchange except the bare stg gear and you can not convert one to another. your lack of experience really shows here. you are on the right track by gaining more info but one of the problems with internet info is you dont really know whats fact and whats opinion. any way keep after it thats how you learn.