Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chip Foose P-32, May Street Rodder....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by timmy25252, Mar 12, 2008.

1. -Brent-

-Brent-

I love the interior metal work.

2. timmy25252

timmy25252

Well the other cone car has Lonnie Gilbertson leaning on it so maybe these builders know something we don't know. Looks like we will be seeing alot more of the cone....

3. Magnus

Magnus
    from Sweden

I set up a link on page two to doc forest. Built way pre-web. Go to handicraft

http://www.docforest.com/english.htm

4. HotRodChassis

HotRodChassis
    Alliance Vendor

With the exception that at least two thirds of the rivets on Betty REALLY are holding panels in place. And they are REALLY air craft rivets. There's no "show only" stuff on it. Controls all work, buttons all work, etc.

5. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Ditch the cone..and you got a beautiful car. beauty is in the eye of the beer holder..my eye says i need more beer to look at it with that cone on its nose.
    Foose is a great designer, but anyone can have a vision un-appreciated by the masses.

6. Mooosman

Mooosman

I don't like the nose cone, but that is an easy enough fix.

The interior is great!

I would have to dress up some kind of V-12 (Jaguar maybe?) like an airplane engine to put in that thing, with little stub exhuast headers coming out of the sie of the hood...:D

Nick

7. h0twired

h0twired
    from Winnipeg

Agreed. Otherwise the car looks great IMO.

8. Roothawg

Roothawg

I just hate theme cars. Chip Foose is a nice guy and a great designer. I justthink he got a little off on this one.

9. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Me too....I'm gonna sell all my traditional parts (theme parts, BTW) and buy a new car....

10. borntoolate

borntoolate

One more opinion! I dig the car(with or without the cone). As for Foose. He's cool. He's talented. No "bleeps" when he's on TV. His family life seems to be wholesome. It's okay for my kids to watch him when he's on. I don't know him personally, but he puts on a good persona at least.

11. DrJ

DrJ

Yep. That's the one I was referring to.

[​IMG]

And as far as theme cars go, isn't a looks like a '60's gasser that will never see a strip because it won't pass inspection a "theme car"?

12. BOBBY FORD

BOBBY FORD

I like chip foose and we sell a lot of his wheels but that just doesn't look like a foose car. Sorry chip but I don't like it. It appears to be about 3 or 4 steps down from you previous builds. Yes and I know, opinions are like ass holes, everybody has one. Thanks, BOBBY FORD

13. While I agree about the nosecone, and that the rest of the car is very cool, Why is it that we all are taste arbiters of the hot rod world? Look I don't like alot of shit, but I don't own them either. I am sure that someone will disagree with something that is going on on my car. (I can hear it now, 'it's not smooth, with Honda Civic door mirrors").

We should be way past this, like it or loath it, people have been putting nose cones on hot rods since the 50s to go faster.

14. You hit the nail on the head!

My Mom said: "If you don't have anything nice to say, keep your yap shut!!!"

I agree that the nose cone looks out of place, too but it was a look he wanted to put out there to match the name he gave the car. Overall it's a pretty neat piece of work.

I'm happy that Chip is proud to put his talent into building a Hot Rod that goes in our direction. A friend of mine had a nice conversation with him when he was just getting started on it, and he said Chip was pretty wound up about it, especially with the little details of what he wanted to do. Said he was just like any other regular "Hot Rod" guy. Just because he is successful and famous, doesn't mean he can't feel the same thing about his cars that we do.

15. Kilroy

Kilroy
    from Orange, Ca

What a boring-assed discussion forum this would be if we all listened to your mom...:rolleyes:

That being said, I'm a little surprised how hung up everybody is on the cone...

I guess you guys never got breast-fed...

16. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

From what I have read about this car, he put it together to have fun with the build. Not a show car, just a roadster with an airplane theme.

It is good to see him build something different than the previous cars that he has done or helped with. Other builders/designers have fallen into the rut where they work the car in a similar way as their previous ones and then take it another step. Not really anything new. Just more shop time/money each time in the build.

I would say that he went in a refreshing direction with this one.

It probably isn't practical as a driver but I like it. (Except for the nose ;))

Neal

17. So...am I the only one who sees one of those pairs of glasses with the big nose and fuzzy eyebrows and moustache when looking at the front of this car?

18. Billybobdad

Billybobdad

If you are going to have a prop on a car at least make in functional

Attached Files:

19. tred

tred

this car is fucking awesome in person. i don't mean just asthetics, but the engineering that went into most of it. i have layed under this car twice and it's got more going on under there than most new builds have going on up top.

dig the steering!

20. Horsepower67

Horsepower67

Wtf? What's the deal with that wooden prop car?

21. I like that car - with or without the nose cone. Either way really works for me.

I really like the fact that, while building a "theme car", Chip showed great restraint only incorporating the nose cone, windshield, & exhaust tips as obvious "theme" parts. The rest he has done with color. That car didn't need 2500 rivets or 40 gauges scattered across the instrument panel to pull it off.

Come on guys, this is Chip Foose. He can dream/build/have anything he wants..... & this is what he puts on the pavement? He got pretty damn close if you ask me.

Get a radiator in it that will keep it cool & this car kicks ass.

JH

22. Roothawg

Roothawg

Don't take it personal, I think just because you can doesn't mean that you should.

I have a ton of WW2 aircraft stuff but all combined it would look like a shriners car.....DOH!! Now the Shriner's are gonna be mad.......

23. Sparkswillfly

Sparkswillfly
    from Colorado

I like the car, something different.
    Question is, what do you think Chip Foose would say about your car..........?

24. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike

Loose the side glass, remove nose cone, flip grill, rework stance. Paint flat black and add red steelies... OK, I'm kidding about the black and red paint.

25. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

I'm not bro.....my point is just that EVERY traditional car built today (and the last 10yrs or so) IS a THEME car......whether it's an "army" theme, 60's drag car, etc.....the only exception would be a car with so many parts from different eras that it doesn't fit within a certain era/THEME....

Oh, and while I can appreciate the work and design of the Foose built car, I don't like it, not because of the nose.....I just don't like '32 roadsters, hahaha....:eek::D

26. DrJ

DrJ

About the spinner that doesn’t spin:
    If I saw it when I was nine I would have wanted it to spin.
    Now, fifty years later it doesn’t need to spin.
    Hell, Some of us go to great pains to make hubcaps that don’t spin, don’t we! :cool:

I can remember thinking I didn’t like fake just-for-styling parts on cars when I saw them on the “Detroit” auto industry’s cars back in the fifties when I was a pre-teen.
    I didn’t like the fake scoops on hoods that weren’t even open to the engine and fake side scoops like on ‘58 Impalas and Corvettes and fake louvers like on the fenders of tri-5 T-birds, ‘58 Corvettes again, and ‘57 Chevy's.

I think lot of that started with Harley Earl’s ‘49 Caddy fins that were supposed to remind one of P-38 tail fins, but why didn’t the tail light turn with the wheels like the rudder of the plane?
    It was just for the look.
    It was styling.

And Bill Mitchell did the ‘40(?) Cadillac Fleetwood “Convertible look” that was permanent steel roof that only looked like it came off because the door window frames were styled like those of a convertible.
    They called them “Convertible hardtops” before they mass produced actual folding hard metal topped convertibles.
    It was styling.

The bolted on top of the door fade away fenders on post war GM cars are only for styling.

All the fins of the ‘50’s were styling.
    I doubt more than a very few of them added any functional stability to the car.

How about the “cheap” cars that had sculpted medallion things that sorta looked like backup lights that just filled the hole where the optional backup light shoulda gone?
    Saw some of these on a ‘60 Catalina in the neighborhood.

So, isn’t a lot of or even most of “OUR” customizing just non-functional “styling”?
    Don’t get me started on dummy scoops, dummy spotlights or dual radio antennas with only one wired to the radio, or neither because all the car’s tunes come from an Ipod.

But the more cars have become “badge engineered” look alike blobs, the more I accept and sometimes even like the styling curiosities that were appliquéd to the extremities of cars of the recent past.

Chip Foose is a trained-by-the-industry at Art Center stylist.
    Somewhere in that training there must be either an understanding, or an indoctrination of “styling is good” ideals that make ‘49 Caddy fins and spinners that don’t spin quite OK.
    Styling is maybe the only thing that keeps all cars from looking like the exact same “melted gummy bear” blob of a shape that passes the wind tunnel’s best drag coefficient tests.
    If we, as car guys, believe in individuality, we shouldn’t be fighting styling, or stylist’s fantasies.

On the overheating:
    Unless the bottom edge of the spinner is butt up against some of the radiator, blocking part of it entirely, I’d be looking at the engine’s ignition timing and advance before looking farther.
    Retarded timing will cause overheating quicker than most other reasons.

27. Sheep Heard mentality.
    Bash the guy that works hard to make something from nothing.

Chip works harder,and is more talented,
    than 20 of the average people here combined.

28. I did!! Maybe that's why I listened to her!!;);)

29. Harms Way

Harms Way

Just a interesting contrast I just thought of,... Chip Foose built the P-32 in the style of WWII fighter planes,..... and Harley Earl built the XP-21 Firebird in the style of the futuristic "jet age"
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

30. One of the coolest 32's ever. He did the theme tastefully. The other theme cars in this thread are over the top. There is nothing wrong with a theme car, so long as it's not like an Orange County Choppers theme bike... i.e. way overdone.