Register now to get rid of these ads!

Power steering for '56 Ford: any good experiences?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 50Fraud, Mar 11, 2008.

1. 50Fraud

50Fraud

My '56 Victoria should be on the road sometime this year, with a variety of chassis upgrades (spindles, springs, shocks, sway bars, disc brakes). I'm interested in equipping it with power steering. I've found these offerings:

1. Fatman sells a kit to install a Cavalier power R/P. For some reason, they say that column (stick) shift won't work with this; fortunately mine has a C4.

2. Wurth-it Designs offers power R/P conversions, although their website is ambiguous about whether they offer '54-up or only '57-up. I understand that Rick and his wife have had a string of medical difficulties, and I haven't been able to get a response directly from the website.

3. R&C Kevin Lee tells me that Maval (an R/P manufacturer) may be offering an appropriate setup in the future, but apparently hasn't started.

4. The late Jim Genty of Jamco told me that he was intending to offer a kit using an Isuzu box, similar to one that Jamco offers for '49ish Mercuries. His successor/sons are unaware that Jim had such plans, so nothing is available in the foreseeable future.

5. I realize that '56 Fords were offered with factory power steering of the "boosted ram" variety, but I gather that these bits may be scarce, complex, expensive, and/or not very satisfactory.

If it matters at all, the car is 289-powered.

I know that there was an earlier thread about this subject, but I've been unable to relocate it with the search function. As I recall, most of the posts reiterated the same options as those above, plus some negative discussion of somebody else's kit, but I'm looking for somebody who has actually had a satisfactory experience with a conversion of this sort (i.e. no hearsay, thanks).

...and...if there are some who feel this isn't HAMB appropriate, I'd be happy to hear any recommendations about other boards which might have useful scoop. Thanks!

2. Used the Fatman kit on my 55 ford.. Easy install.. The brackets looked a little flimsy.. I beefed them up a bit.. The column needs to be cut close to the firewall.. Real close.. There was no room for shift linkage.. I went to a lokar shifter.. The car drives nice.. No bump steer at all.. I used the Cavalier pump also.. 302 ford.. I think the pump bracket is a Zoops part..

3. 50Fraud

50Fraud

4. My wife's 55 has an aftermarket power steering setup. It uses a GM FWD rack. Seems to work well, let me know if you want more info..
    Might be the wurth-it, I remember reading he had a heart attack..
    The car has 302 and c4 trans.

5. I don't know what happened to Wurth-it.. I spoke to him a few months ago.. He was getting a r&p together for a '64 ford I'm doing. Now... phones are dead and his web site isnt working right.. I hope he is o.k.

6. 56 Club - Modified

56 Club - Modified

I had a shop in Bradenton FL install a powered rack & pinion setup on my Fairlane which had an AOD trans also installed; Not sure what "kit" was used & he had to fabricate the knuckle joint connection. You can try KC or Chris @ [email protected] or 941.747.1800

7. My 57 ford has the stock PS system(rebuilt), I did connect it to a modern ford PS pump, it is a bit fast. But is still feels like it travels a bit, and there is a bit of play in the steering wheel mainly comes from the gearbox. I'm sure a 56 ps system is no different. I imagine a cavalier or modern r&p setup would be tight, I'm actually considering this too.

8. 50Fraud

50Fraud

This is good advice. I haven't had any difficulty driving the car with non-power steering, and none of these power options seem like a slam dunk. Maybe i'll just drive it for a while and decide what to do later.

Thanks to all!

9. I would think a rack & pinion unit would be best, but I found someone on the web that documented installing a ram styled set up with parts from the 70's. let me know if you want me to dig that info up off my home computer.

10. 59 brook

59 brook

If You Want Someone's Actual Experience With Some Of The Products Yo Mentioned Go To Hotrodders;com And Do A Search For"57 Ford/g.m 605/wanders Bad "

11. 50Fraud

50Fraud

59 Brook, thanks for that referral. After reading all of that thread, it sounds like nearly everyone who has used Gearheads Cruiser Products stuff has been dissatisfied, and those who've used Wurth-it are pleased. I've still had no luck connecting with Rick Wurth; I guess his and his wife's health problems have been overwhelming.

A couple of people mentioned that, in using the Cavalier R/P (Goodguys or homemade, not sure which), they've lost steering travel at each end = much larger turning circle. Anybody have any insight on that subject?

12. Paul2748

Paul2748

The Crown Victoria Association has a tech letter out for using 78-80 Granada parts (ram system). I have it and can send it to you if you are interested.

13. sho1off

sho1off
    from Buffalo MN

http://www.abspowerbrake.com/catalog.html has all kind of stuff for power steering. Bought a power steering box for my 60 ford wagon similar to what is used on a 69 and up bird and linc. alot better than stock and less cost

14. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Thanks, Paul2748; sent you a PM. Tazzeller, do you think your writeup also came from the Crown Victoria Assn? If not, I'd like to see what you have too.

15. good to know.

I prefer manual steering though.

It's about time I did something with my steering, but I have to get married first...

16. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

A rack an pinion setup is by far the best option. Any of the Fords that I've driven with the ram-style power steering feel like crap. Still kinda sloppy and so power assisted that it takes all the feel out of the road, kinda like driving a grand marquis. The manual steering in my 57 is recently rebuilt, but there is still some slop and it's a bear to parallel park. I'll hold off for a MII

17. Hey,
    I looked it up last night and found my information did indeed come from the Crown Vic assn. so their website is the place to go.

18. Mark T

Mark T

I hear more bad than good about the 605 box and rack and pinion setups. I recently read about the late 90's Jeep Grand Cherokee steering box being used in '55-'56 Fords, I'll try to find the information and post it.

19. Swifster

Swifster

Studebaker used the same type system, and when working properly, it's fine. No changes necessary. I don't know about Ford specific parts, but the Studebaker parts are easily available as NOS or reproduction.

20. hippie6

hippie6

I too am trying to convert my '54 Lincoln to R&P. Hopefully its the same as a '56 Ford!? What year was the Cavalier rack?? I've tried Wurth it designs also to no avail, phone has been disconnected. If I can figure out this problem I won't need or want to sub-frame the car. Between myself, my father-in-law (welder) and my brother-in-law (fabricator) I can make my own brackets.

21. ferds wagon

ferds wagon

I am the guy that started the threads on other sites.After driving my 57 RW w/randp.NO TROUBLE!! Slight loss of lock to lock,but,I have biger tires.Also, rsway bar off late [2002]GM sub..almost bolts up

22. T McG

T McG
    from Phoenix

Remember two things about rack & pinion on heavy cars. Did you ever see one on a full size Ford or GM from the factory? Of course not, except for the Corvette, racks are generally used on mid to light duty cars, and thats where they should stay. The Cavalier racks are wimpy, and you will loose steering travel. Second, yes Fatman offers a kit to use the Cavalier rack on your heavy Ford,(which come with tie rod end spacers to bring the taper up to the size it needs to be because they are very small) and he also offers a Mustang II for a 58 Cadillac. Everything has it's limits, and of course, limits are always exceeded, like it or not. As I always say, just because somebody makes it, doesn't mean it's right.

23. Apart from anything else , the steering wheel diameter will make a difference one way or the other as will the rubber choice. Size for size, some manufacturers tyres just seem to steer easier than others. I've experienced it several times, gone from "this car needs power steer" to" hey no it doesn't."

I think the Volvo power box has been covered a couple of time re. shoeboxes.

24. krooser

krooser

I have always thought the mid-50's Fords drove just fine without power assist. The big wheel gives you good leverage and you get pretty good road feel.

I'm also confused on why so many guys change many of the original systems on the cars of this era when many of them are really still good for todays roads. Old cars really should drive like old cars.

Most handling/steering/braking complaints can simply be addressed by rebuilding the exisiting parts and pieces. Of course a 50 year old car will drive kinda mushy and have some steering and brake problems. If you replace all of the offending parts with newer style stuff the car will tighten up... but the same thing could have be accomplised with rebuilding the old parts.

Simply throwing parts and $$$ at a project is not always what you need to do to accomplish your goals.

Just my 2 cents...

25. Sacred Steel

Sacred Steel
    from Mass.

Don't hold your breath waiting for this guy to get you a rack kit. I believe he went bankrupt and is trying to set up shop somewhere else. A lot of people are waiting for their kits that he supposedly promised to build for them way back when. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

26. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I rebuilt the suspension and steering box in my 55 sunliner and its works just fine and I dont need p/s,it now has a 351-W and C-4 which is not has heavy as the Y block and Ford o matic. Jeff

27. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

Mustang 2 in a '57 Ford? For real?

28. ferds wagon

ferds wagon

In my case I had put in a a box that was a piece of junk.Rebuilt? By a moron i think.Car drives good,have to watch my speed now.Rear sway bar is the iceing on the cake!Don't buy a modifyied Gm 605 without checking all sites about vendor!

29. I've been on the same power steering search for my T-bird - every piece of the sucker is shot and using the word "Thunderbird" seems to even raise the price of lockwashers. Mine's a driver - not all Ford roadster bodies were built in the 30's.....the y-block thumps along nicely too....

So far - found Borgeson power box used on the shoebox Chebbies. Very nice - drove a big block '57 car and the conversion made for an excellent driver even with big nose weight. Not quite a bolt-in for a Ford but very close. The 605 gearbox "looks like" the Gearhead type that everybody hated - except the Borgeson parts are way high quality items and are known to work well and long. Feels like an early seventies Z28 or Firebird Saginaw box.

Found a "tuned up" version of the cylinder assist in a mid- 60's Corvette. Some unknown person had modified the control valve to have a (very) much stiffer internal spring rate than standard (limited the assist) and changed the alignment specs to complement the change. Also not bad - but needs less turns lock to lock.

Finally - discovered a Dodge Omni rack at the yunk yard - rear steer like the Ford - non-power , but - it is rack and pinion. Haven't fully checked this one out yet but I'm concerned that the travel won't be right and it'll take forty acres to turn her around. The '56 has bolt-on steering arms on the knuckle - so it maybe could be altered for use with a shorter rack throw. Bump steer could be an issue depending on where the flex joints are located for the tie-rods.

For now I think my first attempt will be to alter the control valve spring rate - like they did to the Corvette. Maybe just machine some spacer washers to put in there?