Register now to get rid of these ads!

Kinda O/T-Waste oil?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by independentcustoms, Mar 12, 2008.

1. What do you guys do with your waste oil? I have like 200 gallons that I need to dispose of, and it's becoming a real pain in the ass. Most places around here (Rochester NY) will only accept 5 gallons a day, and damn if that aint a lot of trips for me! I was hoping to find some place that would take it all but I'm having no luck. What do you guys do?

2. specialk

specialk

Call the city you live in. Where I live, they drop off a container, you fill it and call them to pick it up.

3. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

at my shop we call an outfit to come pump it out..licenced and gives you paperwork for the environmental issues..Michigan ..probably no help to you.
    But look in the Yellow pages, you might find the same service in your area.

4. Gigantor

Gigantor

Try posting it on the FREE section of Craigslist. Around here, a lot of people are running it in their homemade industrial furnaces. You can probably get rid of it right quick while the weather is still cold.

5. loudpedal

loudpedal
    from SLC Utah

I have a waste oil furnace and a casting furnace I use waste oil in. If you can find someone near you who has a waste oil furnace, I'm betting they would take all you could give them. Check some of your local repair shops, see if they heat using one...

6. Wild Turkey

Wild Turkey

Also check with some of the folks you do business with -- some of them may have a contact.

7. MIKE47

MIKE47
    from new jersey

There are plenty of places around that will collect waste oil. There actually a pretty good market for it now due to a lot of repair having waste oil burning furnaces. It may cost you a bit of $$ to have them come but that's the cost of doing business. If you want to get rid of it for free try your city or county. Here I can take waste oil to the county dump. They collect it free and dispose of it. They also take Batteries and tires. They limit the #. You just do more trips. Or find a shop with one of those waste oil burners. As long as it is "clean oil" not full of water or coolant they should be glad to take it. Try big truck shops, almost a guaranty they have them.

8. So far in my city, all I have found was that they require any place that sells 500 gallons of oil a year, and and does automotive service to take back up to 5 gallons a day per customer. If they don't do auto service, but sell 1000 gallons a year, they must take back 5 gallons a day per customer. There is no specific place that will take a large quantity such as what I have. I may try the add on craigslist, if not I guess I'll be going back and forth to the parts stores for a while!

9. 52pickup

52pickup
    from Tucson, Az

look in the yellow pages. We use a Safty-kleen franchise in our area. He pays us for used oil, and even takes all of our antifreeze.

Oh, and call it "used oil" not "waste oil". Same thing different name, but if you call it waste the epa has all kinds of regulations on it. If you call it used, it is much easier to get rid of.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  10. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Yes^^^ what he said

11. Thanks fellas. I just got off the phone with Safety Kleen, they are going to call back to setup a time for them to pick it up. I appreciate the help

12. flathead31coupe

flathead31coupe
    from indpls, in

waste oil furnace as long as their is nothing else in the oil, that wont burn...

13. 392_hemi

392_hemi

I got a 5 gal. plastic jugs and save the oil from changes in there, then take it to Autozone to dump for free. Village used to have a dump, but they locked it up b/c idiot were putting all kinda other stuff in there.

14. Tony

Tony

Mike, next time you have some give me a shout. I have a few friends who use wast oil as thier heating and they might be interested in it for heating....as long as it's 'clean' oil with no coolant etc....

15. Gigantor

Gigantor

Now that's a neat idea ...

16. wc chopper

wc chopper

we used to use creasote to protect all our fences back in uk, smells bad going on but sure makes the fence last a long time.

17. TudorJeff

TudorJeff

Good advice... "spent" is also a good term to use.. like "spent oil", "spent batteries", etc. instead of "waste oil"

18. There are a few shops in your area that heat with it.
    Wardens Diesel in York.
    Ask for George.

19. Dat Dirty Rat

Dat Dirty Rat

Same here...most of my buddies at work would be 'sleeping on your steps' right now for it!!

20. v8 Bake

v8 Bake

Wish I was closer. I burnt about 500 gal. this winter so far.

21. Matthimself

Matthimself

If you want it to go to a HAMB'er PM BigChief. He's local and I know he just finished a waste oil burning shop heater. He might want some or all of it.

22. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

Go to www.oilburners.net and register and ask if anyone there would like to have it.

Those Cats run diesel engines on used motor oil, as well as home heaters, industrial equipment, smelting furnaces, etc.

23. Thanks for all the help guys. I'm afraid that some of the oil had a little coolant in it (I'm not the only one who accumulated the oil) and I was concerned about giving it to someone to heat with and it screwing them up. So I took a ride into Geneseo and the guy at Monroe Muffler told me he would take all of it. Turns out he's required by law to take it and on top of it he heats with it. Now on the other hand, I WILL make sure in the future all of my used oil is clean, so if anyone local wants it I would be more than happy to hook them up. I accumulate oil very fast (lots of cars in and out), so for me it adds up fast. Thanks everyone

24. rjones35

rjones35

I know this is an OOOLLLDDDDD post, but I figure since its here..... a buddy of mine asked me the other day if I knew of anybody that needed old engine oil for their heater. I didn't, but maybe somebody here does. He says he has about 600 gallons he's accumulated. Doesn't have a way to get it anywhere, so it would have to be somebody with a pump and a tank. He's in the Kansas City area.

25. earlymopar

earlymopar

26. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

nochop likes this.
  27. I kept warm all winter with waste oil. I’d take it if it were closer. Gravity feed drip into a fabricated burner with forced air induction stuck in a double barrel burner with furnace fan and heat exchanger tubes. It cranks out A LOT OF HEAT!

rjones35 likes this.
  28. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Nah bro, we were better off when the Cuyahoga had an Octane Rating. ;)

egads likes this.
  29. H380

H380
    from Louisiana

Hell. Here local farmer gets PAID .35 a gallon for used motor oil and hydraulic oil. He has to pay for the oil filter disposal. They even provide an IBC tote free of charge. It gets dumped twice a year.

rjones35 likes this.
  30. rjones35

rjones35

He had a guy that use to buy it from him, but I guess that guy isn't around anymore, or something, I'm not sure.