Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need a rear end ID

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Curly, Mar 9, 2008.

1. A friend has this rear mounted in his truck that he just picked up....any ideas what it may be from? I told him I'd post it here and with the people on here it wouldn't take long at all to ID it.....my guess is early ford truck.

Attached Files:

2. junkyardroad

junkyardroad
    from Colorado

Kinda hard to tell from these pics. I think Dana 44. Look at the casting webbing on the lower right rear, below the axle centerline. There may a number cast in, 41, 44, 60, so on.

3. It does have a 5 on 5 1/2" bolt pattern. It is mounted under a '51 Ford truck, was wondering if it is stock, not at my house to scrape the road grime off to check casting numbers.

4. Foochin

Foochin
    from Virginia

Three numbers i was able to find around the pumpkin on this rearend.. thanks for the help-fooch

5. It sure looks like a stocker Dana 44 that was available. A buddy of mine had one under his 48 Ford F1. It had some really steep gears 4.56:1 or 4.88:1. He had a 485 HP stroker motor in front of it, killed it in no time, twisted the splines right off the axles within 6months.

6. squirrel

squirrel

not a dana 40 or 44 or 60, they have the easy to spot "stop sign" shape rear cover.

[​IMG]

7. Foochin

Foochin
    from Virginia

Few new pics

Attached Files:

8. First gen open driveline Dana rearend. Don't expect to find anything more than bearings if parts are needed. 10 bolts in the cover and age lead to Dana answer, but it's older than a Model 44.

9. clays diff

clays diff

it is a dana 41 still have a few parts left for them

Clay