Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lil' John Buttera Passed away this morning

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Mar 2, 2008.

1. thatredcaroutside

thatredcaroutside
    from Decatur,AL

I'm proud to say he was one of my HERO'S. Thank You Mr. Buttera

2. flathead31coupe

flathead31coupe
    from indpls, in

3. nexxussian

nexxussian

DAMNIT!!!

Condolences to friends and family.

Never had the honor of meeting him.

4. Castr8r

Castr8r
    Member Emeritus

His soul is with God, his body is at rest,and his spirit lives on to inspire us. God blessed the Rod world with him and his machines. R.I.P.

5. eltiberius

eltiberius

Thanks for the inspiration Li'l John...R.I.P.
    Thanks guys for your personal stories about him, there will be no other like him.

6. Ned_Gob

Ned_Gob

Seems like a life I'd like to live . Peace.

7. Burny

Burny

RIP, Little John...

8. HOTTRODZZ

HOTTRODZZ

That picture is going on the shop wall - next to his last post here.

Thanks Homes.

9. "The stuff legends are made of" whoever said that?

This is the longest thread I've had the respect to read every post and from what I understand, John Buttera not only be remembered as a legend, but he made them as well.

RIP - my best goes out to family and friend

10. rockabillyjoe

rockabillyjoe
    from Seattle

The man was a true artist. He will be missed! RIP.

11. Kool Kemp, that 48 looks like my old car in your header photo. Does it have an Edsel Grill, 59 Cehevy Headlights and Vette taillites by any chance? Chris Stapley. [email protected]

12. Broman

Broman
    from an Island

What a terrible loss this is.

What more can you say about a legend of this caliber?

Let's have a quick synapsis of how we as an online brotherhood felt about him.... The man was probably THE pioneer of the billet aluminum (high end) hot rod movement and I have never seen a single disparaging remark directed towards the man on these pages.

Not only is that rare on the board - but that's rare on a human level.

He must have been a truly great guy. I feel for his fans (myself included), his friends and his family.

We lost a good one this time. Long live Lil' John.

13. stretch 1320

stretch 1320

R.I.P. He will be missed.

14. sledish

sledish

What a week it has been. Rest in Peace

15. tonys18t

tonys18t

Legend doesnt even come close to describing lil john.

God speed mate,

his words from last year...

My friends are my wealth—and since reading the H.A.M.B. I realize I’m a whole lot wealthier.

My life as I knew it pretty much ended four to six weeks ago when I found out that I had brain cancer. I went from being the surly cantankerous Lil’ John to where I now find myself, in a state of recovery. Some would say that I was unlucky but the reality is I was very lucky. I am lucky to have another shot to do what I have done all my life—build cars. True, I have a different perspective on life. This was a self-inflected wound, my own stupidity. Several years ago a good friend told me to get regular MRI’s to catch something like this early before it becomes a problem. He was right and I was stubborn.

You don’t ever want your loved ones to look at you the way my son, Chris, looked at me. For a meager 15 to 20 minutes each year you and your family can have piece-of-mind. If you believe any of those words that you posted on the H.A.M.B. about me then take the time to take care of yourself.

To me hot rodding is about people, the cars are great but it has always been about the people. Each and every post on the H.A.M.B. means something special. I find it so incredible that each of you took the time to stop what you were doing and write down your thoughts. Believe me when I say that I have read each and every post, time and time again. I can’t express my thoughts sincerely enough to tell each of you how much good you have brought back into my life. Because of your thoughts on the H.A.M.B. I now realize that I am the wealthiest hot rodder alive. All of the good wishes and words expressed on each and every post became a magic pill to help me gain my strength. It’s been the best medicine.

My health is getting better and everyday I get a little stronger—best of all I no longer see four of everything! In the end the only cost to me will be time, which in turn will give me more time to enjoy all of my new found friends, build, and do what I thrive on the most—driving my hot rod. When it comes to building cars I can tell you truly that I’m not quitting any time soon.

When I come out of this it will be like Yosemite Sam—both guns a blazin’. The next project has already started, it is a Model A sedan that I am doing with my son Chris for him. The people who have jumped on board to help make this happen are some of the most talented and respected hot rodders who I find myself fortunate to call my friends; Steve Davis, Chip Foose, Cole Foster, Jesse James, and JR Robinson that’s just the start. Some would say that I was unlucky I would have to differ. See all of you on the road.

Sincerely,<!-- / message -->

16. allyn

allyn

Who would have thought as we were growing up together what road lifes journey would take us. Your journey has left us with many treasures to remember you by.

Rest in peace friend

Ps hope you took your files with you to billet heaven. You will need them there.

17. willysguy

willysguy
    from Canada

Thanks for reposting Lil's words tony18t. He was a huge inspiration to guys like me working at our home garages trying to do our best. I couldn't wait to get my hands on the new Hot Rod magazine and read Lil John's place, his monthly column.

18. superleggera

superleggera

Lil' John -- your lessons (lectures!) many years ago are not forgotten and a reminder everytime I still pull a vixen file out of the cabinet and use it on aluminum. Thanks again.

19. 39cent

39cent
    from socal

Strange. Just last night I was hanging around in my garage reading, and sorting some old magazines, and stumbled on the one that featured his model T. As I read I was wondering about 'Little', havnt heard about him for awhile? I put the mag in with my 'specials'.

Thanks John

20. DIRTYDAG

DIRTYDAG
    from cleveland

Their bodies may turn to dust...But their Legacies will last forever.

RIP Mr. Buttera.God Speed

21. Coming up 3 years now.
    Strange coincidence?
    I was, just yesterday, flicking through an
    old magazine and reading his words of wisdom.
    RIP ..

22. jxnslotcar

jxnslotcar

His cars are what helped me to get into cars. RIP

23. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

One of only 3 remaining dragsters he built

Attached Files:

24. Mickm

Mickm

A true Craftsman who left an indelable mark on this sport! He will be missed.
    RIP Lil' John,
    Mickm

25. mtkawboy

mtkawboy

Its a great loss but its life, nobody gets out alive.

26. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

It's been 3 years since he passed already? wow.........

27. terryr

terryr
    from earth

Hotrodprimer pic;
    [​IMG]

That's the first one I saw. It's not even chopped and it's cool.

He also did an early Chevy II with Corvette C4 suspension front and rear. That may be the first time someone just cut off the stock stuff instead of trying to adapt it. First time I saw it anyway.

28. 50Fraud

50Fraud

The T is currently being exhibited in the Bruce Meyer Gallery at the Petersen. It's not a real attention-grabbing car -- it actually looks quite small in person, because it's so much lower than a stock T. Buttera apparently quit driving it because he considered it was too much like an Old Man's car, but I love it. Believe it or not, it sold at BJ around '04 for $24,000. What a bargain!

29. TomP64

TomP64
    from Vancouver

I have the model kit of that car. I love it, $24K is a real bargain. Did Bruce Meyer buy it?

30. Armstrong

Armstrong

When I was young and first started seeing his work in the magazines,I thought that what he could do was some sort of magic. Many years later my opinion has't changed much. Time marches on[​IMG]