Register now to get rid of these ads!

Beware! More bangers boys B.S. & Monthly meeting

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dirtyest Devil, Feb 28, 2008.

1. So I'm a day early....been up to all kinds of fun stuff in the garage... Block is in the machine shop now. Going .060 over for now... I'll have some more room for later. Sticking with the babbit for now as its all in good shape so Im not gonna spend the extra bread if I dont need too. Going for the Touring cam... topped off with the Miller OHV. Wahooo, fun stuff... If she dont hold together...I've got 4 more blocks ready for an overhaul.

Gonna polish my crank and lighten the flywheel too. Just gotta finish the customers ride 1st. I wanna show you, I do, I do...

Also have a 34 three window and a 32 roadster coming in this week for some work, I'll get pics.... All original stuff with patene.

Only a sneal peak for now, little clean up and a test fit. What are you guys up too?

Attached Files:

2. Beecher

Beecher

well, can i join this party?

Im just in the planning stages of my banger build, so i may enlist some help from you "banger boys"

im still working on my flathead v8 and 40 coupe, but this summer, i figure i will start building a B block to go into a 28/9model A roadster im going to have to find. Got all the drive train already, just need to work on it when the weather gets right. As for the banger im going to build, like i said, B block, period perfect 1940 engine. But i need an opinion, should i get a Riley 4 port, or try and find an origional HAL DOHC for it? What kind of money would a unrestored HAL DOHC set up be worth anyway? And which do you think would make more power?

Glad to join the Banger Boys, for me, the 40s havnt ended yet.

thanks alot

Beecher

3. MonsterMaker

MonsterMaker

hey mel...that looks awesome

I am thinking of building the banger that comes out of a buddys 31 soon.

cant wait to see more progress on this

4. 40bcool

40bcool
    Member Emeritus
    from Tulsa,Ok

Do to health problems i am selling my 29 roadster on 32 rails. The banger motor is a 34C with a Miller Schoefield OHV. in serted rods and mains,crossed drilled crank. It has a 200R4 trans behind that folled by a new So. Texas QC. Any body interested email here on HAMB for more info.:)

5. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

Mel, are you gona be ready for some spring banger racing?? :D

Keep an eye on your valves....Roger (203) keeps having trouble with his staying tight for some reason in his M/S head.

Nothing new for me aside from buying a B fuel pump from "Chris", otherwise still working on this modern (1949) track roadster.

Zach

6. I will be ready!!! I had an old cast iron quick change lined up, but the guy took my # and I didn't get his...damn.

Where is that guy who does the conversion? I have a cover and all the gears. I may attempt this as well...

Anyone here use a V8 flywheel and starter on a banger? Still gonna lighten up my stock flywheel for the hell of it, but I want to investagate the V8 conversion further...

7. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

Wilson Welding is the one who was doing them
    try it yourself
    it doesnt seem too complicated
    i think it'll be easiest to put a thickwalled tube right through the bottom to align everything around the shaft, then cut the center out where you need to to clear the ring gear

good luck!

8. Yeah, looks to be not to difficult... Wanna check out how he did it again.

Ryan has a Miller post going on right now... remember that secret I was telling you about... This motor is not part of that.... but there are some clues that you dropped there...Mwaahahahaha.

Hope to get to it soon... I have too much stuff going on...

I'm also looking for a few machines so I can make more custom speed stuff, we'll see... Got the shop all cleaned up....works much better now. The old South Bend is finally visiable thanks to selling a bunch of parts and a good clean up.

I 've got two sweet cars coming in this week... 34, 32. I hope to get going on them next week after I finish off the 30 coupe this week....hopefully. Still have yet to find an 2 bolt Distrib.... seems to be the one thing that may hold us up.

9. After my adventures on the chassis dyno last month I'm back on the path of more power!

I feel that I've come to the limits of the current dual 97's set-up and to move onwards and upwards I need to look elsewhere.

I dabbled with a triple 97 set-up but never felt comfortable with this arrangement for several reasons.
    I started looking towards 2" carbs which left my options pretty small. Winfield 'D's, rare and expensive, 2" Riley sidedrafts, rare and expensive and finally my thoughts turned to the British favourite, the 2" SU, plentiful and cheap!

I'm sure some of you are now going to remind me of my hatred of these carbs, but I'm making a u-turn and gonna give 'em a go.

Here's what I got. A rebuilt matched pair of 2" SU's from a mid-sixties Rolls Royce engined Austin Princess.

[​IMG]

Don't think there's going to be a restriction here, HA!

[​IMG]

I've had to fab a manifold as, unsurprisingly there is nothing suitable off the shelf. This is how far I've got. They need to fully welded and cleaned up to finish. Once I've done that I can move onto hooking up the linkage, which is a job I'm not looking forward to doing.

[​IMG]

On paper it looks promising. More power, improved driveability and better fuel consumption...... I can dream can't I!

10. kenagain

kenagain
    from so cal

Hey on the 2 bolt dizzy this help ya out
    thanks Ken

Attached Files:

11. Anybody have H&H's #? I need a part, nobody has it...

12. Crankhole

Crankhole

(818) 248-2347

13. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

Clark, you've read my mind.
    Actually, I'm sure I've got an email from you (somewhere) in which you profess your undying hatred for SU's. Ha ha :D Mind you, you were a lot younger then....:p

You gonna put a balance tube between the trumpets on the inlet? Have a feeling you have to. Something to do with balancing the vacuum?
    Also, I'm sure you or your Dad already has it, but the old David Vizard book on tuning minis has a shit load of pertinent info on getting the best from an SU carb. Well worth a read.

My banger tales for this month will be after the weekend.

14. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

I picked up a V8 flywheel and starter, but never got around to the conversion. Sounded like the hardest part of the conversion was finding the right bendix. There was an article in SOSS about it, do you have the article?

15. I'm not going to run a balance tube and then basically see how it goes. I have never come across any hard evidence or explanation of what a balance tube actually does.

If both carbs are properly balanced and set-up then what would the "balance" tube actually be doing?

16. I've got a V8 flywheel fitted and have the SOSS article.

[​IMG]

17. Elrod

Elrod

Regarding Wilson Welding's Cast Iron Quick Change conversions, he will only do one if it's a later banjo center with the pinion supported in the center section. He won't do them if it's a Model A rear, where the pinion is at the end of the drive shaft.

18. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

Have you had it running yet? I'm curious how it works compared to a lightened "A" wheel.

19. Thanks for the number! I googled them...1st thing that came up was a customer talking bad about them...??? I just need a few parts...

Ron's sez to run the babbit, Sacremento sez don't. Sac said to ask H&H about it...???

My head is gonna make some compression, so I am a little concerned with the Soft babbit. Haven't ordered my parts yet....gonna get a few more opinions...

Can you post that V8 flywheel conversion??? I have another bit of info....like to compare. I have yet to join S.O.S. ....need too. I did join another 4 banger speed club.

If I do a Banjo conversion, it will be a mid/later V8 housing. Thanks all!

20. 36Brua

36Brua

21. 36Brua

36Brua

Ooops article babbit article written by Mike Flanagan, BUT JB has written some great info/tech articles

There are tooo many articles pro/con about babbit etc. read this as well by Jim Brierley ,and if you haven't. ya gotta join F.A.S.T read the history section about heir origins Good luck
    http://www.hotforhotfours.com/newsletter.html[/quote]

22. I've had it working for almost a year now and with a couple of different engines. Its faultless.

There is no conversion to speak of. The flywheel just bolts on. The work is with the starter as the ring gear sits further away from the starter than stock.

I won't be able to post the article for a week or so if you don't mind waiting?

23. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

Lord willin' my lump of iron will breath fire by Mid March,..end of March at latest?? My friend worked on the flywheel Friday,..cutting it down to about 42-44 lbs.
    A shot of the block a few weeks ago,...
    [​IMG]

STILL trying to find a good ORIGINAL 28-29 radiator shell that's NICKEL plated,..not chromed,...if any of you cats have a lead on one,..please share,..its MUCH apprecaited.

Also looking for one of these exact 6V coils!,...(not the longer ones from the mid tolate 1940s, but this one right here,..short and fat)...
    [​IMG]

Went out and picked up a few more morsels of parts here and there last weekend,..and yesterday. I need to find somewhere to clean
    and paint some things,...frame included!! My darn garage is SOO small! YIKES!! Worse comes to worse, I'm mulling over some ideas to make the garage clean and warm enough to paint in,...hopefully??

Still finding out some details on my buddy's 28-29 Roadster he ran in 1940 that I'm replicating for myself. Solving history's mysteries on it! (For a sneek peek into the original roadster of my pal in our club, see photo on the myspace page that reads, "RECREATION")

Historically speaking,...found some more relatives from club members that have since deceased, one fellow has been more than wonderful. He has found four of his father's timing tags last we spoke and many photos also.

Other than that not much on the homefront here.

24. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

Looks good! Sounds great!

25. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

All I know is that the Babbit they are using at Red's Motor Machine in Delaware is supposedly REALLY good stuff,..high tin content and REALLY holds up. If you call, you'll probably ONLY get an answering machine as they are SERIOUSLY busy now!!! BUT,...after talking with my friend Bob there about Babbit a few weeks ago, he told me that he took his A block all the way across the country to CA and then home,...took a look at the shims to see if they had to be adjusted,....and they didn't!! He said so far he's done several blocks for himself and the results are great.

Also Jim Brierley is building a block with what I think he said will be running a blower on it? He's going with babbit.

My next engine will be babbit,....running into trouble getting my innsert engine finsihed up,...no biggy though,...

26. Beecher

Beecher

hey coaltown, what is that coil? i love it! got a pic of the later one for comparison? and what does it say on top? that is a cool looking thing, and now i must find one!

i dont know if i should thank you or not! ahhah

thanks, i guess,

Beecher

27. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

Well, the reason I'm looking for one goes far beyond its cool looks. I'm recreating a very close friend's roadster he built in his youth (his first hot rod) and ran at Muroc in 1940. I'm building my first roadster also,...but recreating what he had in 1940. Paying tribute, saying thank you and enriching one of the best friendships a man could ever have!
    Feel free to check out our web page,..link is at bottom of all my posts....1930s and mid 40s only.

THAT is why I'm on the prowl for some stuff,....that coil being one of them.

As far as the more updated one,...it looks almost the same, but a tad bit longer, with slightly different writing on top. I have one,...I'll take a photo,...if you're interested in the one I have, let me know, i'll just pass it onto you for what I just paid for it. I had thought I was buying the one you see in the photo,..close but not exact....

28. boo

boo
    from stuart,fl.

had a 4-port riley,rocker oiling was with felt that lay on top of rocker. would be a pain in the butt on a long trip unless some other oiling system was made.have to keep puling rocker covers and pour on oil..

29. johnferl

johnferl

Do you have pic's?

Thanx:
    John

30. http://rides.webshots.com/album/558786345HiXnZi If you have any questions PM me